The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 07-24-2020, 11:47 AM

Default Semi-permanent pickup mounting on a National

Hi there.

I recently acquired a Krivo resonator pickup for my National Style O, and I'm really impressed with it....enough so that I'm considering leaving it on all the time.

The one aspect that I don't like about it, much like using sound hole pickups that I've used in the past, is that I don't like the cable just hanging loose.
Typically, I'll just loop the cable back through the strap so that not only is it out of the way, but also to provide a little extra security - Since it's held in place with putty, one step or yank on the cable and there it goes.

I'm considering having an endpin jack installed so that will no longer be an issue.
I've read that some endpins can't be installed where the strap button is located because the endpin doesn't have enough clearance because of the location of the cone assembly.

I've seen several photos of folks performing with resonators that look like the jack is located more along the lines of where an electric guitar would have one - on the treble side bout, so that makes me wonder if that's the case.

Has anyone else here had any experience with this scenario?
Old 07-25-2020, 11:00 AM

My jack is in line with the with the strap button but easily an inch or so below it closer to the back of the guitar...cable just feeds through the F hole
2005 Gibson Es 335
2012 Gibson Les Paul standard
2017 Fender elite stratocaster
2001 62 AVRI Fender stratocaster
Old 07-25-2020, 08:17 PM

Many people run the cable inside the F hole, and mount an output jack in the lower round hole of at the bottom tip of the F-hole.
Old 07-26-2020, 01:35 PM
Charter Member

I installed mine, it was easy and I really like the sound of the Krivo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0002 - Copy.jpg (25.6 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0001.jpg (52.1 KB, 47 views)
Old 07-26-2020, 04:32 PM

Thanks for the replies!

I spoke with a gentleman at Elderly Instruments yesterday that was familiar with Nationals.
He said that the best practice was to locate the jack in a similar place on the treble bout like on a hollow body electric.

The reason being I was told was to not interfere with the large wood dowel that is located in the body that provides stability for the neck, which is anchored in the vicinity of where the bottom strap button is located.
Old 07-26-2020, 05:36 PM

I thought you wanted non-permanent. Found a pic from one of our resident National players, and a great one at that! Rockabilly69

Old 07-26-2020, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Pepper View Post
Thanks for the replies!

I spoke with a gentleman at Elderly Instruments yesterday that was familiar with Nationals.
He said that the best practice was to locate the jack in a similar place on the treble bout like on a hollow body electric.

The reason being I was told was to not interfere with the large wood dowel that is located in the body that provides stability for the neck, which is anchored in the vicinity of where the bottom strap button is located.
Yeah. The neck stick fits into the heal of the neck and the end pin screws secures it at the other end. It acts like a "neck-through" electric guitar neck for stability.

I have a K&K biscuit pickup in my Style N, and te jack is located in the exact same place an ES-175 jack would be.
Old 08-03-2020, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
I thought you wanted non-permanent. Found a pic from one of our resident National players, and a great one at that! Rockabilly69

Thanks Blue for the nice comment. One thing my picture doesn't show is that I normally use a guitar cord with a right angle plug for the F hole mounted jack, and that keeps my guitar cord out of the way!
Old 08-05-2020, 07:10 PM

I put a krivo on my NRP single cone and pretty much did the same thing as teleplucker.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments