The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-27-2021, 11:55 AM

Default what was the best neck you've ever played?

tell me about these brands/models you tried and have found the neck to play as "butter"!
Old 09-27-2021, 12:02 PM

I have a Guild X-50 from 1959 that I hold on to just for the neck.

Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 09-27-2021, 12:06 PM

I will take a Modified V shape over anything. I played a Collings D1 1 3/4 nut with a nice Mod V. I have two different Mod V shaped necks on my two Martin guitars, one noticeably more pointy than the other and I like them both.
Old 09-27-2021, 12:11 PM
Charter Member

Default Hands down best

The double ellipse on my Sexauer. Top and bottom have different curvatures which match the different parts of the palm. I liked it so much I had it duplicated on a recent build.
Yamamoto Jumbo 27 - Bashkin Placencia FanFret Cedar/EIR - Leo Posch DS12 Adj/Hormigo - Ovation Legion shallow body - - Taylor 562 GC 12 String - C. Freeborn Alto- Froggy Bottom H12C Adj/EIR- Ryan Nightengale Engelmann/Af. Blackwood - Kostal MD
Old 09-27-2021, 12:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archerscreek View Post
I will take a Modified V shape over anything. I played a Collings D1 1 3/4 nut with a nice Mod V. I have two different Mod V shaped necks on my two Martin guitars, one noticeably more pointy than the other and I like them both.
this is my favorite. Honorary mention to the C shape of my collings C-10
Old 09-27-2021, 12:40 PM

Collings Mod-V without question for me. Have it on both of my OMs. Easiest playing necks I've tried--and I've tried a bunch. But, as with most things about guitars, that is simply my experience and certainly won't catch everyone's.

Last edited by jrb715; 09-27-2021 at 03:13 PM.
Old 09-27-2021, 12:44 PM
Charter Member

The necks on my Merrill C-18 and Martin D-18A are fairly similar and I like them a lot. I also really like Collings Traditional necks. I'm fairly easy, I can deal with most as long as it has some depth to it.
Old 09-27-2021, 12:46 PM

My all time favorite was my Huss & Dalton T-OM.

It was essentially a medium C (ever so slight, barely there V), and for my hand, a perfect fit.

I currently have a Bourgeois 00 (14 fret) that's also quite comfy.
Old 09-27-2021, 12:48 PM
Charter Member

I get along with most necks. But if I had to pick an absolute favorite (other than my custom carved necks) I’d chose Collings Mod V necks.
Old 09-27-2021, 01:05 PM
Charter Member

Both of my '59 Gibsons have identical necks and they feel amazingly comfortable. The '21 LG2 I just bought feels very much the same just a tad thinner and it makes my hand happy too. I guess I just like big chunky necks which surprises me because I have stubby little hands.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 09-27-2021, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archerscreek View Post
That's me, minus the Collings. I was always into V necks on the strats I played in my youth and up to now. I loved the neck on the 1968 D-28 that was my only acoustic for 25 years - I assumed it was a V, but have been assured it wasn't really, but I played it so long I remember how it felt and I still think it had something of a V shape, particularly down toward the nut. And since I got back into playing again about five years ago, I'd been playing flatter C shaped necks on a couple of Martins and Emeralds and could play them but never particularly liked them. Then I bought a CEO-7 with it's Mod-V, getting towards a couple of years ago now and it was love at first touch. I literally took the guitar out of the case, started tuning up, and after about two chords I was madly in love with the neck. It just felt so right that within weeks I'd sold a couple other guitars I'd liked quite a bit but I realized I was almost never gonna pick them up when the CEO-7, with that sublime neck, was right next to them.

Then several months ago I wanted to add a rosewood guitar, loved the sound of the 000-28 reimagined, but spent an extra $600-700 for the Eric Clapton sig model, which is virtually identical to the reimagined model, except that it has a Mod-V and 2 1/4" spacing at the saddle. I figured it was likely to be a lifetime guitar and that money would pale over time compared to the pleasure of playing a neck that felt perfect every time I picked it up. Turns out the Mod-V on the EC is notably beefier than the one on the CEO-7 and at first I was a bit disappointed, but over a couple of weeks I adapted to it, and now I like it more, if anything. Although I freakin' love both of them.

To be clear, i don't recommend this as a neck for everyone. I know too many stories of people who loved the sound of the CEO-7 or the EC (back before they'd reimagined the regular 000-28) but the Mod-V necks were deal breakers for them. Some people really can't stand them. But it seems like if you like them, you REALLY like them. I REALLY like them.

Right now I have four guitars, two Martins with Mod-V necks, a strat with a really beefy soft-V, and an SG with P90s that has a really flat D-neck that I play, but don't like. I love the sound of the P90s and there are other comfort / playability factors that make me keep it despite the neck. But I play acoustic about 85-90% of the time lately and when I play electric, I play the strat about 90-95% of the time. I just pick up the SG when I GOTTA have that P-90 sound for something. So when I'm playing guitar, I almost ALWAYS have some sort of V neck in my hand.

-Ray

Last edited by raysachs; 09-27-2021 at 01:21 PM.
Old 09-27-2021, 01:10 PM

Best necks across an entire line? That award goes to Taylor.
Old 09-27-2021, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619TF View Post

I second this!

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 09-27-2021, 01:18 PM
Charter Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619TF View Post
Unless you've never liked any Taylor neck you've ever played.

It's been about thirty years since I played a sublime Olson, but maybe not today as my tastes have changed. My 70 Guild D 35 is just about perfect for me.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 09-27-2021, 01:20 PM

SCGC v-necks for me, both 1 11/16" and 1 3/4" nut widths with 2 3/16" string spacing. Something about that neck just makes me faster on the fretboard, and is much less fatiguing over long sessions.
-Organic Sounds Select Guitars
-Down Home Guitars

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion