The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-22-2021, 09:29 AM

Late to the party on this thread (again), but think you have a great plan that sounds like great fun. Best of luck. Enjoy.

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 09-22-2021, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakewoodM32Fan View Post
At this point I'm locked in to the trip, barring the top 2 and say the 3rd and 4th also selling. And even then I'd probably still go just to put faces to names of the people I've met, and to allow myself to be surprised by guitars in their inventory that I may have overlooked.
This is very cool. I'm surprised there isn't a reality show on some obscure cable channel somewhere that has a guy roaming the country visiting dusty obscure guitar shops, pawn emporiums and deserted Guitar Center's for drool-worthy guitars. I can picture Norm from "This Old House", Tom Collichio from "Top Chef" or maybe even Jay Leno. Maybe even some semi-retired rock god/dinosaur could make himself useful.

At least there should be, I'd watch!
Old 09-22-2021, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmist View Post
This is very cool. I'm surprised there isn't a reality show on some obscure cable channel somewhere that has a guy roaming the country visiting dusty obscure guitar shops, pawn emporiums and deserted Guitar Center's for drool-worthy guitars. I can picture Norm from "This Old House", Tom Collichio from "Top Chef" or maybe even Jay Leno. Maybe even some semi-retired rock god/dinosaur could make himself useful.

At least there should be, I'd watch!
Disclaimer: I have zero affiliation with this guy I'm about to mention, he just shows up in my YouTube algorithm because, you know, guitars.

I think his name is Jeremy Sheppard, the "Guitar Hunter". If you think you have GAS, this guy is next level. He literally has hundreds of videos of him going all around the country trying, buying, trading, selling guitars and gear.
-Organic Sounds Select Guitars
-Down Home Guitars
Old 09-22-2021, 01:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Disclaimer: I have zero affiliation with this guy I'm about to mention, he just shows up in my YouTube algorithm because, you know, guitars.

I think his name is Jeremy Sheppard, the "Guitar Hunter". If you think you have GAS, this guy is next level. He literally has hundreds of videos of him going all around the country trying, buying, trading, selling guitars and gear.
Yeah...I've seen some of his videos.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 09-22-2021, 10:18 PM
AGF Sponsor

Godspeed, my friend.

One of the things I learned early on here on AGF: We LOOOOOOVE to help you spend your money.

sm
Old 09-23-2021, 05:31 AM

Earlier this year I went on a 3 week guitar safari and drove over 5,000 miles. I came home with a Squier (and played some fantastic , rare guitars and had some great barbeque).
Old 09-23-2021, 06:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

He seems like a nice guy but as a person who touts himself as the "Guitar Hunter", he's pretty ignorant of a lot of stuff the average AGF'r would know. I don't watch all his videos but the ones I have seen are just full of mistakes and showing a lack of knowledge about guitars in general.
Old 09-23-2021, 06:19 AM

Only $90 to audition expensive guitars? Sounds like you are successfully avoiding a problem to me. Enjoy the journey.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 09-23-2021, 09:02 AM

Quote:

Cool, thanks for the heads up!
Old 09-23-2021, 09:44 AM

It's hard to imagine a more enjoyable quick trip than to do what you are doing. Think about baseball fans who make it a point to go to every stadium at some point. It is that different to think about doing a tour of some of the best shops on the planet? Nashville alone could keep you busy.

Looking forward to hearing more about your adventure.
Old 09-24-2021, 08:16 PM

A little over five hours from takeoff, but it's already playing in my head...

-Organic Sounds Select Guitars
-Down Home Guitars
Old 09-24-2021, 08:26 PM
Charter Member

Default Safe travels!

Many of us I'm sure are living vicariously...

thanks for going for it!

Old 09-25-2021, 06:02 AM

Exciting! Looking forward to hearing about your experience. It's going to be a fun week-end.

Quote:
A little over five hours from takeoff, but it's already playing in my head...

Old 09-25-2021, 08:32 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Looking forward to hearing about your adventure and what, if anything, made the trip home with you.
Best,
Jayne
Old 09-25-2021, 09:06 AM
AGF Sponsor

Lakewood, Our hopes and dreams (but not our money) travel with you.

sm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion