The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-16-2021, 09:07 AM

A few more answers:

Chances I come back empty handed? Assuming the top two guitars I want are there, extremely low. If the other two (second tier) are there as well? Almost nil.

The store is open but recommends appointments. Also I've been in contact with the owner via email who has sent me video/audio files of one of the guitars. Obviously before I finalize the trip I will call him and speak with him to arrange everything. I plan to come in on either a Friday or Saturday and leave the following Monday. Store hours are limited and one flight I'm looking lands 2 1/2 hours before they close and the airport is 50 miles away, so either I'd try to work out an after-hours appointment or fly out the day before if possible.
-Organic Sounds Select Guitars
-Down Home Guitars

Last edited by Dotneck; 09-16-2021 at 10:03 AM. Reason: No Covid discussion please
Old 09-16-2021, 09:10 AM
Charter Member

Sounds like fun.
Good luck and safe travels.
Old 09-16-2021, 09:34 AM
AGF Sponsor

I absolutely applaud your initiative, and all the support happening in this thread! I can't tell you how many times I've been on the phone with a customer, discussing a guitar that was into five figures, and they've actually laughed when I suggested they book a trip to try it!

...and I've had almost no more success by adding "and you get to try everything else!"

Acoustic Music Works
Guitars, Banjos, Mandolins & Good Company

A top dealer for Collings, Huss & Dalton, Kevin Kopp, Baleno Instruments, Eastman, Pisgah Banjos, OME and ODE Banjos, Northfield Mandolins, and more!

(412) 422-0710
www.acousticmusicworks.com

Friend us on Facebook!
Follow us on Twitter!
Check out our YouTube channel!
Old 09-16-2021, 09:39 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

I don’t see the problem. Go. Enjoy. And let us know what follows you home.

Old 09-16-2021, 09:43 AM
Charter Member

I'm happy to admit that I considered a same-day round trip to Boston to visit Music Emporium; wouldn't hesitate if they have eye candy that you may pull the trigger on!
Old 09-16-2021, 09:53 AM

My guess is you are going to Down Home Guitars, you'll enjoy Steve!
Old 09-16-2021, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

I think you have a good plan. For $90, you couldn't pay for shipping to return a guitar in today's market if you're shipping across the USA. This is a good plan.

The only problem with this approach is that you will be under some pressure when you get where you're going to make a decision, to buy right then or not. Then again, you can decide to think about it, come back home, and still have a guitar you like shipped to you. I have done that.

I think you have a good plan.

- Glenn
Old 09-16-2021, 09:59 AM

Let's keep this on topic, remember some topics are not up for discussion on the AGF.
Old 09-16-2021, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
I think you have a good plan. For $90, you couldn't pay for shipping to return a guitar in today's market if you're shipping across the USA. This is a good plan.

The only problem with this approach is that you will be under some pressure when you get where you're going to make a decision, to buy right then or not. Then again, you can decide to think about it, come back home, and still have a guitar you like shipped to you. I have done that.

I think you have a good plan.

- Glenn
I generally won't put that type of pressure on myself and I've gotten to know enough dealers (in person and also virtually) to know that while there may be disappointment in the lack of a sale, they don't take it personally as long as it's clear you weren't wasting their time. Obviously a person flies across the country, they're not out to waste anyone's time.

That said, I've come a long way from when I began this journey, both as a player and also in terms of knowing what I'm chasing in terms of guitar tone. And it isn't just "one magical tone". I know what I want out of a body size and tonewood combo, and it's just a matter of making sure the instrument fulfills that. But I also allow myself to be pleasantly surprised by a tone perhaps that I was not expecting. I find it important to go into things with as open mind as possible, even if you have expectations or preconceived notions going in.

If none of the guitars do it for me, they'll all stay on the shelves and I'll do everything I can to make sure we part on friendly terms. That said, I'd be very surprised if among the stock something didn't vibe with me. My bigger fear is that multiple guitars will grab my ear, and then I'll have a tough decision.
-Organic Sounds Select Guitars
-Down Home Guitars
Old 09-16-2021, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

I've boarded planes many times for a guitar. So, what exactly is the problem?
Old 09-16-2021, 10:47 AM
Charter Member

Yeah, you kinda have to go now. Otherwise you'll disappoint many of your AGF friends.

Sounds like a great idea to me.
Old 09-16-2021, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
I've boarded planes many times for a guitar. So, what exactly is the problem?
Indeed. It's the thing to do. I bought half of my small herd in the process of flying to visit family/friends. It's great fun. And you never know what's in the shop's inventory that will be a pleasant surprise.
Old 09-16-2021, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headless Axeman View Post
What are the odds you come back empty-handed?
I was thinking the opposite: What are the odds he falls in love with more than one of them and comes back with multiple guitars?
Old 09-16-2021, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakewoodM32Fan View Post
If none of the guitars do it for me, they'll all stay on the shelves and I'll do everything I can to make sure we part on friendly terms. That said, I'd be very surprised if among the stock something didn't vibe with me. My bigger fear is that multiple guitars will grab my ear, and then I'll have a tough decision.
Like many, I'll be following this thread and rooting for you to blow your bank account buying up guitars so be sure to posts pics etc.

One small thing that occurred to me - are you're picky about the type/brand of strings you play? Would it be too much to ask, considering your 2000 mile trip, to ask the seller to have them on the guitars before you get there? On your dime of course.

For me, there are strings I know I wouldn't like, 80/20's for example, and I'd have no way of projecting how the guitar would sound with the "right" strings. That for me would be the only possible glitch in buying a guitar which on paper I know I have a shot of really liking . . .

Safe travels!
Old 09-16-2021, 05:07 PM
AGF Sponsor

Hey, chalk up those Frequent Flyer miles. I see no problem here.

scott memmer

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion