The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-23-2021, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
I might check out a Tonemaster too, if they ever do a Princeton version, but all the current models are just too physically large for my space.
This has been my biggest barrier to the Tone Master Deluxe Reverb — the physical size of the amp. As a dad with a young family that is relatively large by today’s standards, space is at a premium in the rooms and closets in our home and I really wish there was a Princeton or Vibro Champ in the Tone Master lineup so I could have all the great digital features at a smaller physical size.

I still might just spring for the Deluxe Reverb and then trade for a Princeton if that ever joins the lineup. That or just go for the little tube Vibro Champ Reverb and then go Tone Master if they ever do a smaller one. I should just pick one though, I’m missing out on great Fender tone while I waffle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
If you're on FB, check out the Fender Deluxe Reverb Appreciation Society - there's more than a few with the TM Deluxe, and a couple with the Twin as well last I looked...
Found one! I wish these blonde ones came like this but with the period-correct panel that has the numbers printed on it.

I also found this one that someone tweaked — it’s a normal Twin but it’s a really nice variation on the traditional 65 look.

What I’d love is a FSR Tone Master like the “knotty pine” run they did a few years back.

- - -

But back to the point of the post — lots of good options and advice in this thread! It sounds like those who have had both feel that the Tone Master amps are going to be the more flexible and more versatile option over a Blues Junior, and it also sounds like we have some first-hand recommendations for the Blues Cube Hot that i mentioned. Excited to see what the pick ends up being!
Old 09-23-2021, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ataylor View Post
...Found one! I wish these blonde ones came like this but with the period-correct panel that has the numbers printed on it.

In the words of Mick Jagger, you can't always get what you want - but if you pry off the ToneMaster logo at the bottom, it's close enough that every guitar player past the third row will be drooling...

Here's a gennie Fullerton original Twin-Amp in dead-mint condition (asking price $12,500 ) for comparison:

Last edited by Steve DeRosa; 09-23-2021 at 07:17 PM.
Old 09-24-2021, 11:58 AM
Charter Member

I just ordered the TM Deluxe Reverb Blonde. Should be here next week. Hoping it makes for a nice amp!
Old 09-24-2021, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
I just ordered the TM Deluxe Reverb Blonde. Should be here next week. Hoping it makes for a nice amp!
I just ordered the blond twin. Haha, reminds me of a Playboy centerfold.

They had a 200 watt animal of a twin that would be way over the top for me.
Old 09-24-2021, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbonger View Post
...They had a 200 watt animal of a Twin that would be way over the top for me.
If it's the TM Twin you're talking about here, a 200W solid-state amp is necessary to duplicate the dynamic range of the 85W all-tube version (FYI the TM Deluxe uses a 100-watter to match the original's 22W output) - something that's been common knowledge among guitarists for decades. Not to worry - there's an attenuator on the back panel that lets you power down as low as 1W if necessary, while still retaining the full tonal response you'd expect from a Twin:

Old 09-24-2021, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
If you're on FB, check out the Fender Deluxe Reverb Appreciation Society - there's more than a few guys who've done a " '63 job" - flat aluminum logo/creme barrel knobs - on the blonde TM Deluxes (and a couple of Twins as well) and they look amazing. While not exactly period-correct for a Deluxe (the blonde/oxblood cosmetics were reserved for the upscale amps - an early-60's Deluxe would have come in the Princeton-like "chocolate brownie" livery used on a recent FSR '65 Deluxe RI) it's a real attention-getter - and I'm hoping Fender sees the light and makes this, if not OEM, at least an FSR package...
Old 09-24-2021, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ataylor View Post

That's the same livery my old 1962 Concert Amp had except the control panel on mine was brown, not black (yes, it was a real deal amp from 1962, the one with the très cool harmonic vibrato).

Quote:
Interesting! They now call the Standby switch a Mute switch?
Old 09-25-2021, 05:45 AM

Practicing at home with my duo, no mics, I find the 200 milliwatt setting on the Deluxe just right for clean rhythm and dirty leads via the volume knobs on my guitar. I would miss that on the Twin.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 09-25-2021, 05:49 PM
Charter Member

Does anyone know if the tonemaster deluxe reverb blondes are closer in tone to something like the Blue Deluxe or is that a different circuit altogether? I really love the blues deluxe tone and would love a SS amp version. I tried a TMDR and found the amp wanting to break up while I want a super glassy clean tone I can use pedals on. That's something the BD does great.
Old 09-25-2021, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
...I tried a TMDR and found the amp wanting to break up while I want a super glassy clean tone I can use pedals on. That's something the BD does great.
A couple possibilities:
  • The onboard attenuator was set to a lower output level (FYI it goes down to 0.2W) - make sure it's set to full power and try again;
  • You really do need more clean headroom/dynamic range for your style - check out a TM Twin, which will power down to 1W but still take you up to 85W equivalent (with several steps in between - a Champ-like 5W, Prinecton-style 12W, 22W like the TMDR but with the added fullness and sonic spread of a 2x12" cab, the 40W you're presently getting from your Blues Deluxe, and the full 85W Twin output);
  • You've found your Holy Grail amp in the BD - if it ain't broke don't fix it...
Old 09-26-2021, 12:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
A couple possibilities:
  • The onboard attenuator was set to a lower output level (FYI it goes down to 0.2W) - make sure it's set to full power and try again;
  • You really do need more clean headroom/dynamic range for your style - check out a TM Twin, which will power down to 1W but still take you up to 85W equivalent (with several steps in between - a Champ-like 5W, Prinecton-style 12W, 22W like the TMDR but with the added fullness and sonic spread of a 2x12" cab, the 40W you're presently getting from your Blues Deluxe, and the full 85W Twin output);
  • You've found your Holy Grail amp in the BD - if it ain't broke don't fix it...
I just want them to make a Blues Deluxe in a tonemaster package!
Old 09-27-2021, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
Does anyone know if the tonemaster deluxe reverb blondes are closer in tone to something like the Blue Deluxe or is that a different circuit altogether? I really love the blues deluxe tone and would love a SS amp version. I tried a TMDR and found the amp wanting to break up while I want a super glassy clean tone I can use pedals on. That's something the BD does great.
the Deluxe Reverb TM is designed to replicate the tube based counterpart.

(and I can tell ya, it's pretty much all there)

so, I would think, no, it wont sound like a blues deluxe.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 09-27-2021, 03:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
the Deluxe Reverb TM is designed to replicate the tube based counterpart.

(and I can tell ya, it's pretty much all there)

so, I would think, no, it wont sound like a blues deluxe.
I figured. I'll just wait and hope they'll eventually do one for the BD.
Old 09-27-2021, 08:25 PM

I guess it really comes down to what you want from the amp. I had a fender twin reverb, yeah it really was a nice amp, But you had to sort of crank it up to get good sound out of it. It also weight like 85 pounds so it’s a little bit of a pain in the *** to move around.

I now have a Blues Junior IV and love it. Does it have the same tremolo and reverb as the bigger Fender twin reverb amp? Of course not. But it is much easier to move around and offers very crisp and clear tones to it with some reverb and crunch. It can also fill a decent room. It really out performs its size and weight, IMHO. it is a really nice amp and from my personal standpoint, serves me well.
Old 09-29-2021, 06:05 PM

Here's a pic and it happened alright! This is a beautiful piece of hardware.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars