The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-27-2021, 10:32 AM

Default K&K Pure Mini- Passive pickup, installed in Electric guitar?

Hey. I have installed the pure mini on several acoustics and liked it.

I am wondering- Has anyone heard of or used the pure mini on electric guitar installations? I had the concept of buying either one or two of the pure mini sets and splicing them in to an existing electric guitar's wiring.

Would this be plausible to do? If I had two sets, I'd have 6 contact points, could attach 3 to the bridge and the other three to the body wood near the bridge posts- Being passive, I imagine this wouldn't be too difficult to incorporate into an existing system?

I imagine the tone would be significantly more natural/warm than a piezo system for electric-

Last edited by LCSTAGG; 09-27-2021 at 10:39 AM.
Old 09-27-2021, 12:28 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCSTAGG View Post
Hey. I have installed the pure mini on several acoustics and liked it.

I am wondering- Has anyone heard of or used the pure mini on electric guitar installations? I had the concept of buying either one or two of the pure mini sets and splicing them in to an existing electric guitar's wiring.

Would this be plausible to do? If I had two sets, I'd have 6 contact points, could attach 3 to the bridge and the other three to the body wood near the bridge posts- Being passive, I imagine this wouldn't be too difficult to incorporate into an existing system?

I imagine the tone would be significantly more natural/warm than a piezo system for electric-
You will likely be disappointed with this approach. K&Ks and other SBTs like my Ultra Tonic need bending in order to sense signal. An electric body will not bend much at all, and the signal will be very weak and probably not all that pleasing.

I've experimented with putting these sensors in fully hollow body instruments like ES330s. They have relatively thick laminate tops, with more lamination under the saddle area. The result was as I described above. So based on that, I think a solid body would be a non-starter.
James May Engineering
maker of the Ultra Tonic Pickup
Old 09-27-2021, 12:36 PM

Can you describe what you mean by 'Bending'?

I'd guess you mean that the material is vibrating more freely? You're basically suggesting the vibration needs to be relatively violent to what a solid body would do? Or something else?
Old 09-27-2021, 01:40 PM
Charter Member

I’m pretty try sure James is referring to the flex that is inherent in acoustic guitars tops as opposed to the rigid top back or sides of an electric guitar

that does mean more vibration reaching the sensors

I know that the only poor results I’ve heard from k&k installs has been on overbuilt acoustic guitars with thick tops and bridge plates. Conversely…the most lightly built guitars that I have installed k&k’s in have produced the hottest signals with quite a bit more responsiveness and volume
Old 09-27-2021, 01:51 PM

Ok- what contact style passive acoustic solutions may be better suited to a purpose such as this? Is it down to just piezo or are there other options?
Old 09-27-2021, 02:54 PM

Maybe try something like this?

https://www.fishman.com/product-seri...ickup-systems/

Martin D-28 Satin
Fender American Ultra Telecaster
Old 09-07-2023, 07:35 AM
Charter Member

Thread resurrection here --

For those who have tried something like this, what do you think about a K&K in a hollowbody electric solely for the purpose of capturing percussion sounds for use in live looping?
Old 09-07-2023, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weshunter View Post
Thread resurrection here --

For those who have tried something like this, what do you think about a K&K in a hollowbody electric solely for the purpose of capturing percussion sounds for use in live looping?
If you're just looking for a percussion transducer then you might think about the JJB product line. Far less expensive, particularly if you only need a single tapping spot.

Single transducer JJB with output jack

Jessie will modify any of their offerings if you need longer lead length, etc.
Old 09-08-2023, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weshunter View Post
…hollowbody electric…
Arch-top?
Tune-o-matic bridge?
Through-neck?

Probably a few more factors I haven’t though of.
Old 09-08-2023, 05:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
If you're just looking for a percussion transducer then you might think about the JJB product line. Far less expensive, particularly if you only need a single tapping spot.

Single transducer JJB with output jack

Jessie will modify any of their offerings if you need longer lead length, etc.
Thanks I’ll look into that.
Old 09-08-2023, 05:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shufflebeat View Post
Arch-top?
Tune-o-matic bridge?
Through-neck?

Probably a few more factors I haven’t though of.
It’s a wraparound stop tail, PRS SE Hollowbody Piezo standard

Old 09-17-2023, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Patrick View Post
I’m pretty try sure James is referring to the flex that is inherent in acoustic guitars tops as opposed to the rigid top back or sides of an electric guitar

that does mean more vibration reaching the sensors

I know that the only poor results I’ve heard from k&k installs has been on overbuilt acoustic guitars with thick tops and bridge plates. Conversely…the most lightly built guitars that I have installed k&k’s in have produced the hottest signals with quite a bit more responsiveness and volume
I have K&K or handrolled SBTs installed in my guitars. My Rainsong OM1000 is SO much louder than any other instruments, plugged straight into whatever.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification