The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 09-26-2021, 03:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
I Really Dig That Glenn--NICE!--Thanks!
Thank you SpruceTop!

It's great to know you are watching! I appreciate the encouragement and support! I'm really pleased that you enjoyed this cover!

I hope all is well for you across the country in Rochester! Be well!

- Glenn
Old 09-27-2021, 06:47 AM

spot on Glenn.

Carol is an amazing song writer and performer, JT did it just right too IMHO..

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 09-27-2021, 09:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
spot on Glenn.

Carol is an amazing song writer and performer, JT did it just right too IMHO..
Thank you Ray!

It's nice of you to take time to listen and comment! Much appreciated!

Yes, Carole King is a terrific songwriter, maybe one of the most prolific in pop music history aside from perhaps Irving Berlin, but I also appreciate her because she is a really decent person. I think "You've Got A Friend" illustrates that. I also agree that JT did a really great job on this song.

I'm glad you felt that my cover of this great old song came out okay! I appreciate the feedback and reinforcement!

- Glenn
Old 09-27-2021, 11:41 AM

Lovely Glenn!

Nice and smooth. Your voice is sounding good! Loved seeing and listening to your Olson!

That was one of the first songs I ever learned on the guitar. James Taylor and John Denver were my two favorites at the time, among many others you know. That song never gets old for me.

Thanks very much for sharing!

Rick
Old 09-27-2021, 12:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Shepherd View Post
Lovely Glenn!

Nice and smooth. Your voice is sounding good! Loved seeing and listening to your Olson!

That was one of the first songs I ever learned on the guitar. James Taylor and John Denver were my two favorites at the time, among many others you know. That song never gets old for me.

Thanks very much for sharing!

Rick
Hi Rick,

It's wonderful to hear from you! I hope you are doing well!

Thanks for your kind comments! I'm glad you felt this came out okay!

I agree that "You've Got a Friend" doesn't seem to get old. The last time I played this song must have been 30 years ago and the song was 20 years old then! It was fun, dusting this off and reminding myself of all the guitar work that James Taylor built into his version of this song. He has always been so good at making something with fairly simple chords sound like something special.

Thanks for taking time to listen and comment, Rick! I hope you are enjoying your Ryan Nightingale! What a lovely, lovely guitar!

- Glenn
Old 09-27-2021, 02:00 PM

Lots of memories with this song. I was a big Carole King fan and a big JT fan so I didn't have a favorite version. Loved them both and now love your version.

Those two have established their place in the American songbook with their songwriting skills. Imagine her wanting him to cover it at that time. She must have really loved the song. And now we all (or many millions of us) do.

bowerman custom OM 28 style
breedlove oregon OM SMYe
breedlove 000-M deluxe revival
breedlove mc revival OM/AR deluxe (2)
yamaha ls 11 spruce hog mit
yamaha fg 152 spruce hog mij
yamaha fg 110 spruce agathis (tan) mit
yamaha fg 150 spruce (red) (sold)
yamaha fg 75 spruce (red) (sold)

Last edited by started with 1; 09-27-2021 at 02:34 PM.
Old 09-27-2021, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by started with 1 View Post
Lots of memories with this song. I was a big Carole King fan and a big JT fan so I didn't have a favorite version. Loved them both and now love your version.

Those two have established their place in the American songbook with their songwriting skills. Imagine her wanting to cover him at that time. She must have really loved the song. And now we all (or many millions of us) do.
Hi Started!

Thank you! I'm so pleased that you thought this came out well!

I think James Taylor and Carole King must have had (and very likely still do) a great friendship. It is said that Carole King had James Taylor on her mind when she wrote this song, and she was glad to let him record this song first. It was a very generous thing for her to do. JT certainly made the best of this in turning this into a #1 single in the USA.

I think that James Taylor also encouraged her to start singing in public and not just be a songwriter hiding behind the piano keyboard. I think she sang "You've Got A Friend" her first time singing in public.

I hope you are doing well and that everyone at your house is doing great!

- Glenn
Old 09-27-2021, 03:21 PM

Love it — the James Taylor albums (particularly the Greatest Hits album with the white cover) were a staple of family road trips and a big reason I started playing guitar. Great performance of a classic!
Old 09-27-2021, 05:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ataylor View Post
Love it — the James Taylor albums (particularly the Greatest Hits album with the white cover) were a staple of family road trips and a big reason I started playing guitar. Great performance of a classic!
Thank you Austin!

Great to hear from you! I'm really pleased that you enjoyed my cover! It's cool that you have your own family history to connect with James Taylor's music.

I think he has inspired a lot of people to play guitar over the years! His playing style is unique; he has always worked to make the guitar come alive in the way he plays. I learn something from him every time I cover one of his songs.

Thank you for taking time to listen and comment. Much appreciated!

I hope all is well at your house! Take care!

- Glenn
Old 09-28-2021, 07:31 PM

Nice job, Glenn. Very relaxed and mellow presentation. Just right.
The Olson works as well for you as JTs does for him.

You really capture the essence of his style very well…not an easy style to emulate.

Thanks for the song. I hope you are all well.
Roger
Old 09-28-2021, 10:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerblair View Post
Nice job, Glenn. Very relaxed and mellow presentation. Just right.
The Olson works as well for you as JTs does for him.

You really capture the essence of his style very well…not an easy style to emulate.

Thanks for the song. I hope you are all well.
Roger
Thank you for the kind and encouraging words, Roger!

Thanks, in particular, for your comments about my emulating JT's playing style. As you have noted, his style is not easy to emulate. I worked on it for about a week rather intensely.

I have learned this song about three times over the years, and then in between I forgot the song and had to relearn it each time. Each new encounter, I learned a little more about how James Taylor played this. This latest time, I did play along with him on several recordings to figure out how he was doing certain things. I'm pretty sure I didn't play this exactly like James Taylor, but then the song has evolved for him over the years, too.

I learned quite a bit more on how to use some of James Taylor's techniques on this song this time around. I guess the third time was the charm for me.

Thanks, too, for your thoughts about the Olson's sound. It really does fit the laid back, low-key presentation of this song. He has this song pitched vocally quite low, I think to emphasize the mellowness of the song through the relaxed singing. My wife asked me if I couldn't move the capo up a couple of frets, because there is a huge tendency to sing flat down that low. I tried the higher pitch and I really liked it better for my voice, but in the end I went back to where JT played it. Capo 2 was the right vocal pitch for the song, just like the Olson was the right, mellow guitar for the song. I'm sure he was looking for something very soothing.

Thanks so much for your thoughts and comments, Roger. I am doing pretty well. So is my family, as best I know. I hope the same for you!

- Glenn
Old 09-29-2021, 03:13 AM

Such a beautiful rendition of one of my all time favourite songs!
Old 09-29-2021, 09:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andre.g View Post
Such a beautiful rendition of one of my all time favourite songs!
Thank you Andre'!

How terrific to know that you are listening! I appreciate your taking time to comment here and provide encouragement! Thank you!

I hope all is well for you!

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell