The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-28-2003, 10:57 AM

Default garrison guitars..Discovery video

I have read about these guitars. Mostly people say they are sound pretty good (not great), but that Chris's innovations (the unified bracing/bridge) are well respected among guitar builders..

I saw this interesting video linked over at acousticguitar.com's gear forum:

http://www.exn.ca/video/?video=exn20...tarscience.asx

has anyone played a garrison?

Chris

[edit]I gotta start proof reading..

Last edited by CDT; 10-28-2003 at 08:42 PM.
Old 10-28-2003, 02:11 PM
More guitars than talent

The local store has some in the $500+ selling price range. Didn't have much of a discount on them.

Seemed like a decent guitar made in Canada like Seagull, etc. Looks wise, it is more traditional than the Seagull (headstock). The plastic braces did throw me.

01 Taylor 814ce, 05 Taylor T5 Maple, 78 Ovation 10th Anniversary, Larrivee L03-12RE

98 American strat, 06 Gibson LP Supreme, 05 Gadow Custom Single, 05 Gadow Custom Hollow, 04 Agile Goldtop, 05 Variax 600, 03 Splatter Strat, 04 Homebuilt Tele, Dillion John Lennon model, Gibson Flying V, Agile Valkyrie SG
Old 10-30-2003, 01:21 AM

I was just guitar shopping and did play a new Garrison. I'm still a fairly novice guitar player, but I have to admit the sound was pretty powerful, especially the bass, I found. The dealer was trying to tell me how because of the bracing system I'd feel the vibration of the guitar right through to my belly. He was indeed right, but I'm pretty sure I've felt that with most guitars I've played.

I have nothing bad to say about the Garrison at all, but in the end I went with a new Taylor instead (it's my first one - thank you Taylor for making a guitar in my price range). The main reason, other than the fact that the Taylor sounded at least as good if not better than the Garrison, was simply the proven track record of Taylor. Not to say that Garrison wouldn't be a great company to deal with (after all, I am Canadian so perhaps I should be biased toward the home-grown company), but being my first real guitar purchase I had to go with the Taylor name.

If I had the ability to do so, I'd have liked to go with both - there was something about the Garrison that did feel nice.
Ensenada (old, learned on it)
Old 10-30-2003, 03:23 AM
AGF Bouncer

I've played a few Garrison's and thought they were pretty nice but.. I dunno. The whole gut of the thing is plastic. (fiberglass actually)

I think I'll stick with wood.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification