The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-13-2017, 10:21 AM
Guest 728

"Action" is a comprehensive process. Neck relief, nut slot depth, fret level, and saddle height are all factors. A good tech or luthier will always adjust these variables in conjuntion with one another. Messing with only one might give you acceptable results, but to make a guitar play at its best, they should be looked at as a whole system.

And I agree with those who say that the string heights that you are aspiring too are pretty darn low.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:54 AM

Thumbs up

THX very much guys, i just got a new martin TUSQ saddle and prepare to shave that so it can fit my bridge, and my saddle on guitar now is not perfect at all, it is very low in the mid(3rd string&4th string), i think it is why my guitar easily buzz when play low action on that two strings, what do you think, tell me thank u~

Last edited by eimantan; 02-13-2017 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Correct my cacography
Old 02-14-2017, 12:01 PM

checking out my neck angle i think maybe i should get neck reset 2 or 3 years later,it is winter here now, dry and cold,i don't konw whether the neck angle influenced by season changing .
Old 02-14-2017, 01:36 PM

Well eimsntan, you could consider getting out of Mars...

It is never wise to copy one's hero's set-up. Tommy Emmanuel is Tommy Emmanuel. We only read about these things. Who knows if Tommy really sticks to these set-ups. Could be a myth. Because even Tommy's guitars can have a bad day in a different clime. What strings does TE use?

Go for a set up that works for your technique, style and ability, and guitar. So, you got yourself a new saddle. Does its radius match the fretboard radius?

I see a preoccupation with the ruler and that is not healthy. What you report is good string action for many of us. Fettling a few micromillimetres isn't going to make you play like TE.

Put that ruler aside and just work on mastering the guitar that you have in your hand. A good workman doesn't blame his tools, that is the saying.

Last edited by Jabberwocky; 02-14-2017 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Removed masked profanity
Old 02-14-2017, 06:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eimantan View Post
THX very much guys, i just got a new martin TUSQ saddle and prepare to shave that so it can fit my bridge, and my saddle on guitar now is not perfect at all, it is very low in the mid(3rd string&4th string), i think it is why my guitar easily buzz when play low action on that two strings, what do you think, tell me thank u~
Maybe your saddle doesn't conform to the radius of your fingerboard. Someone might have tried to cut it down from the top instead of the bottom thereby flattening it. That might explain why your 3rd and 4th strings buzz.
Old 02-14-2017, 07:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
My martin 000-16gt guitar action is 1.5mm(4/64in) at high E & 2.0(5/64in)mm at low E, and i play fingerstyle, but i saw that most of fingerstyle masters adjust their action to 1mm(2/64in) at high E & 1.5mm(4/64in) at low E or even more lower without buzzing, how did they do that, my saddle only remain 2mm(5/64in) to limit above the bridge, and i have tried my truss rod, but when i tight the truss rod it comes buzzing, whether it is a way of polishing fret to aviod buzzing, or i should just adjust my saddle lower and lower, thx! if anyone can help me please contact me ,[email protected] ,thx!!very!!much!!
Your action is set pretty much like my action, and I am mostly a fingerstyle player. I don't think you need to change anything.

- Glenn
Old 02-14-2017, 09:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
checking out my neck angle i think maybe i should get neck reset 2 or 3 years later,it is winter here now, dry and cold,i don't konw whether the neck angle influenced by season changing .
A neck reset is (usually) a very invasive procedure that's usually only required after many, many years of a guitar living under tension. It requires removing the neck, ungluing the fretboard extension from the top, and resetting the whole thing at a better angle.

There are a lot of much easier, common steps to take first before even considering a neck reset.

Your guitar needs a basic setup done by someone who knows what they're doing. Respectfully, based on this thread, that means not you--it means a person who makes a living doing this stuff, and is well known for getting good results. You probably need the saddle, nut and truss rod adjusted. If your guitar is well made (like the vast majority of guitars today), your neck angle is almost certainly not the problem.

Your guitar may also need to be humidified. Maybe. Maybe not. Get a small disposable plastic food container like this (it needs to fit in the case). Poke a few holes into the lid. Put a damp (not sopping wet) sponge into the container. Put the container into the case, with your guitar, somewhere where it fits. Close the case. Check the sponge after a day or two. If it's dry, wet it again, put it back in, repeat.

If you want to be scientific, you can get an adequate humidity gauge for under $10 here in the US. See if you can find one. If the humidity is less than ~40-45% your guitar probably needs humidification. If it's higher than 55-60% then your guitar probably needs to be less humid.

Get your guitar professionally set up. Forget about neck resets, and forget about Tommy Emmanuel's settings. You don't play exactly the same as he does--maybe harder, maybe softer--so his setup is completely irrelevant to your needs.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
Well eimsntan, you could consider getting out of Mars...

It is never wise to copy one's hero's set-up. Tommy Emmanuel is Tommy Emmanuel. We only read about these things. Who knows if Tommy really sticks to these set-ups. Could be a myth. Because even Tommy's guitars can have a bad day in a different clime. What strings does TE use?

Go for a set up that works for your technique, style and ability, and guitar. So, you got yourself a new saddle. Does its radius match the fretboard radius?

I see a preoccupation with the ruler and that is not healthy. What you report is good string action for many of us. Fettling a few micromillimetres isn't going to make you play like TE.

Put that ruler aside and just work on mastering the guitar that you have in your hand. A good workman doesn't blame his tools, that is the saying.
U r right, thank u for your advice~ the new saddle is Martin model so it does mach, and yes i think I should work harder on music rather that ruler guitar all the time , actually I am interested in wood working, but there's long way to go.

Last edited by Kerbie; 02-15-2017 at 05:01 AM. Reason: Inappropriate
Old 02-14-2017, 11:24 PM

As a conversation point, I would like to draw attention to the action on Marc's HG00:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
action, fingerstyle acoustic, string buzz, truss rod