The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-17-2021, 12:31 PM
Charter Member

Default sunnaudio di2

got the sunnaudio d1 2 and have been going back and forth between what i've been using and it. i've been using a redeye twin for years and recently added the lr baggs equalizer. sometimes i need the equalizer and sometimes i don't. i just disengage it if everythings good without it. equalizer has pretty much everything needed to dial out bad frequencies and lots of eq also. its a pretty versatile pedal.

nothing against the di2. its a great little preamp. hear a difference when i change back and forth between the two but i guess i'm just used to what ive been using. anyway just my thoughts on the preamp. have k&ks in my two martins and an lr baggs full anthem in the other one.
Old 05-17-2021, 12:41 PM
AGF Sponsor

Did you get a chance to explore the 1/5 Meg input impedance, presence contour settings and the Mid-EQ frequency adjustments?

Sunny
Old 05-17-2021, 01:14 PM
Charter Member

Yes I checked it out pretty good. I think I have ear fatigue from listening to much. My buddy is coming over tomorrow I'll see what he says. I'm also in a controlled environment in my house I don't know what it will sound like on live gig

also when i find something that works for me i stick with it. i have to hear a really dramatic change for better before i'll change something.
the sunnaudio is very smooth and simple, i just don't know what happens when i get out there live. like i said earlier i'm in a music room in my house and have become used to what i hear and know. we'll see.

Last edited by bobbyg67; 05-17-2021 at 02:15 PM.
Old 05-17-2021, 04:16 PM
Charter Member

I still remember the day I went over to have my third or fourth Dazzo set put in. Two years before, Teddy A/Bd the RedEye against the Baggs PARA DI he had been using. Huge difference, and for those two years I was a big RedEye fanboy. Then he A/Bd the RedEye with the SunnAudio prototype Stage1 DI. Not as big a difference, but very audible. Never plugged into a RedEye since.

But using Dazzos, I don't need EQ.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 05-17-2021, 06:49 PM

Can someone explain what does a piezo sound is?
Taylor 562CE
Taylor 214CE DLX
Amalio Burguet Vanessa
Fender Player Stratocaster HSS Plus
Timberline T60HGpc
Kolaloha KTM-000 with MiSi
SunnAudio MS-2
Digital Piano Yamaha P515
Grand Piano Yamaha C3
DPA 4488
Old 05-17-2021, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
I still remember the day I went over to have my third or fourth Dazzo set put in. Two years before, Teddy A/Bd the RedEye against the Baggs PARA DI he had been using. Huge difference, and for those two years I was a big RedEye fanboy. Then he A/Bd the RedEye with the SunnAudio prototype Stage1 DI. Not as big a difference, but very audible. Never plugged into a RedEye since.

But using Dazzos, I don't need EQ.
That’s a similar experience as mine.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 05-18-2021, 02:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdman View Post
Can someone explain what does a piezo sound is?
That is a tall order, but here are the basics. First piezo is a type of chrystal tha produces a small electric signal from a mechanical movement. Two types of pickups made from them, Under Saddle Transducers and Sound Board Transducers. USTs are very good at feedback rejection, but sound thin and harsh in the upper ranges, and when pushed tend to produce what we call quack. SBTs attach to the bridgeplate and sound smoother.

What they have in common is they interact with the first device, Di, pre, or amp, and this changes the frequency response they output. They tend to like to see a high impedance, one Meg or more. Without this, they are harsh and pronounced in the high mids.

Because piezos are reacting to actual vibrations, they tend to sound more natural than magnetics which produce a signal via a magnetic force disruption.

This is an oversimplification for sure. Piezo pickups are not created equal, so in that sense there is no defined piezo sould, just like there is not electric guitar pickup sound. The ever present K&K needs a lot of eq to sound good, a Dazzo does not. The Dazzo is really several pickup types selected to match a particular guitar.

Like internal combustion engines work alike, they are not created equal.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification