The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-17-2019, 01:19 PM
Charter Member

Default Lowden F-50 or 0-50 redwood/AfricanBlackwood

Hey Everyone, I am on the hunt and deciding wether to go with the Lowden F50 or O-50 in the redwood/African Blackwood combination. Which sounds amazing from the different vids I have listened to. Does anybody have any experience with these two models? Does the O-50 lack volume in the higher registers as far as fingerstyle and lead lines goes? Is it significantly louder than the F-50? And is the O-50 a shoulder killer? Unfortunately there is not an O size in my local shop, nor have I had the chance to play one. Thanks for any input and advice!

Last edited by mstymnt; 08-17-2019 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Adding
Old 08-17-2019, 02:19 PM
Charter Member

I have an F50 in African Blackwood and Sinker Redwood and love the sound! I find the F size to be a comfortable all rounder. I also have an O-35 in Tasmanian Blackwood and Cedar, so a very different sound. The O is a handful to be sure but just has a mesmerizing sound which seems to be unique. I just realized I have two Blackwood Lowdens

The O is similar in size to a Taylor 18 or GO if you can find one. I think it's 16.5 inches on the lower bout? The pinched waist makes it more accessible than you'd expect.

As far as the ABW/SR combination, I think Lowden is on record stating how much he likes it. I don't know of other builders that use these routinely. You're welcome to try mine if you're in the Pacific NW.
Old 08-17-2019, 04:45 PM

George says the F stands for "flatpicking," and, in general, any F model will get you a more focused, projecting sound. I went with the F35 over an O because I wanted an all-arounder, but if you want that cavernous, deep, lush, enveloping sound, you can do far worse than an O.

Have you watched the "Every Guitar Has a Voice" series on YouTube?
Maestro Singa, Sinker Redwood / Wenge (incoming)

Gone but not forgotten:
Martins, Gibsons, Taylors, sundry others.
Old 08-17-2019, 06:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quake17 View Post
I have an F50 in African Blackwood and Sinker Redwood and love the sound! I find the F size to be a comfortable all rounder. I also have an O-35 in Tasmanian Blackwood and Cedar, so a very different sound. The O is a handful to be sure but just has a mesmerizing sound which seems to be unique. I just realized I have two Blackwood Lowdens

The O is similar in size to a Taylor 18 or GO if you can find one. I think it's 16.5 inches on the lower bout? The pinched waist makes it more accessible than you'd expect.

As far as the ABW/SR combination, I think Lowden is on record stating how much he likes it. I don't know of other builders that use these routinely. You're welcome to try mine if you're in the Pacific NW.
Thanks for the info, and the offer to give yours a strum, however I am in the sowthwest, so a ways out from you! I guess I probably couldn’t go wrong with either. Have a good weekend
Old 08-17-2019, 06:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakar12 View Post
George says the F stands for "flatpicking," and, in general, any F model will get you a more focused, projecting sound. I went with the F35 over an O because I wanted an all-arounder, but if you want that cavernous, deep, lush, enveloping sound, you can do far worse than an O.

Have you watched the "Every Guitar Has a Voice" series on YouTube?
I haven’t checked that out yet but will give it a look see. That makes sense about the F being more of an all arounder verses the O. Thanks for the info!
Old 08-17-2019, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quake17 View Post

Yes, well pointed out.

The Taylor Grand Orchestra body is 16 3/4" wide and 5" deep.

The Lowden O size body is 16 17/32" wide and 4 59/64" deep - strange 'inch' figures because the Lowden is built in metric measurements. (420mm wide and 125mm deep.)

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 08-17-2019, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstymnt View Post
I haven’t checked that out yet but will give it a look see. That makes sense about the F being more of an all arounder verses the O. Thanks for the info!
They're interviews with George, and I've watched them maybe 20 times. The difference between African Blackwood and everything else striking, so I'm envious of you go that route.

Also, add me to a list of folks who thinks the O series might be a smidge large and thus pain-inducing. They sound glorious, though.
Maestro Singa, Sinker Redwood / Wenge (incoming)

Gone but not forgotten:
Martins, Gibsons, Taylors, sundry others.
Old 08-17-2019, 08:46 PM

I love the sound of Lowdens and Lowden-style guitars. The observation I’ve made is that the O has a big, harmonically complex, rich sound while the F is more focused while still being rich and “fat.” Ive seen fingerstylists and strummers use both so I don’t think you can go wrong, just depends on how lush you want your tone. It seems that the F series is the popular middle-ground model while the O is their traditional shape.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 08-17-2019, 09:00 PM
Charter Member

Thanks everyone for the continued input! Listening to video comparisons of both makes it even harder, as each one sound amazing, and with slight differences in tone that a few of you have pointed out. Might have to flip a coin on this one, hahaha!
Old 08-17-2019, 09:56 PM
Charter Member

The O is super unique and the quintessential “Lowden sound”, lush and airy. I like it but not with rosewood or bass-heavy back/side woods. Just me personally. The cedar/walnut combo for the O is my favorite, but the spruce/rosewood F is also a wonderful combo. Just speaking from experience here...I think the O delivers plenty of bass based on its size, so the rosewood isn’t need for that extra thump. YMMV

-Award-winning songwriter/guitarist, Visual storyteller
-D’Addario, G7th and K&K Sound Artist
-Music on Spotify, Apple Music and YouTube: www.youtube.com/dustinfurlow
-New album "Serene" (Oct '23) and tablature
available at www.dustinfurlow.com
Old 08-17-2019, 10:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustinfurlow View Post
The O is super unique and the quintessential “Lowden sound”, lush and airy. I like it but not with rosewood or bass-heavy back/side woods. Just me personally. The cedar/walnut combo for the O is my favorite, but the spruce/rosewood F is also a wonderful combo. Just speaking from experience here...I think the O delivers plenty of bass based on its size, so the rosewood isn’t need for that extra thump. YMMV
Thanks for the input! From your experience does the O-size loose any volume or clairity in the upper registers as compared to the lower register rumble?
Old 08-17-2019, 10:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstymnt View Post
Thanks for the input! From your experience does the O-size loose any volume or clairity in the upper registers as compared to the lower register rumble?
I didn’t hear less treble on the O-23 I had compared to the F-32. It just has less projection, kind of like it sits nestled in the bass and sustain vs. shooting out really clear like the f-body tends to do.

-Award-winning songwriter/guitarist, Visual storyteller
-D’Addario, G7th and K&K Sound Artist
-Music on Spotify, Apple Music and YouTube: www.youtube.com/dustinfurlow
-New album "Serene" (Oct '23) and tablature
available at www.dustinfurlow.com
Old 08-17-2019, 11:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustinfurlow View Post
I didn’t hear less treble on the O-23 I had compared to the F-32. It just has less projection, kind of like it sits nestled in the bass and sustain vs. shooting out really clear like the f-body tends to do.
Great explanation, thanks!
Old 08-18-2019, 02:59 AM

Default Have not tried this wood combination but...

...have played many O and F series models, and have owned both.

As another poster stated the O series instruments bring the quintessential Lowden sound: overtone heavy, complex yet still balanced. They are big instruments both in body depth and lower bout measurement. I’m of average/light build but don’t find any comfort issues with this body size. For me this in one of the best fingerstyle guitars available, especially when playing simple pieces with space around the notes.

The F models retain much of the Lowden sound but are a little more focused and not as immediately impressive. Still great as a fingerstyle instrument but also more versatile for flatpicking and strumming as the sound is a little less full and complex.

My experience is primarily with cedar/spruce tops and Indian rosewood back and sides. The soundboard wood makes a significant difference with cedar bringing even more complexity to the mix, spruce more focus. Denser African blackwood will make a difference; I’d expect a little more presence.

Recently sold my O25c even though it was one of the very best open tuning, fingerstyle guitars I have ever played. My F35 is a better all rounder.
Old 08-18-2019, 03:54 AM

I have owned both F50 and O50 in Redwood / African Blackwood. Both fabulous guitars but my personal preference was the F. The harmonic content in the O overwhelmed the fundamental note. I play fingerstyle only and found this characteristic was not to my personal liking. Both instruments were fabulous. My personal preferences made the difference.

Cincy

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion