The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-17-2019, 08:56 AM

I've tried a lot of Collings because the shop where I take lessons features them and I've found them bright too. The only exception was a D1 traditional which had a torrefied top. The sound on that guitar was glorious and got snapped up before I returned a week later
Old 08-17-2019, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
Hard to describe but the clarity or crystal, bell-like trebles seem a bit too much for me as opposed to a Martin.
I know what you're trying to describe. I have the same reaction to the Collings dreads and OM's I've played. I prefer something with a warmer tone.

However, I played a rosewood 000 where the Collings signature tone worked very nicely. You might give one a try and see what you think.

Also, I haven't tried any "traditionals" to check for a tonal difference.
Old 08-17-2019, 09:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
I'm probably the wrong person to answer this question because I have never found Collings to be "bright" and I'm sure I've played more than a hundred. I think they tend to be very well balanced with remarkable clarity and crystal, bell-like trebles. But to me, that is not the same as "bright."

And I have never found Collings to have a Martin or Gibson vibe. I think they have the vibe that Bill wanted which was his own.
I agree with Kerbie’s impressions. Calling Collings bright is like calling Martin muddy. Ive owned plenty of both brands, but neither adjective is close to correct IMO. However both descriptors are used. I currently own 6 different brands, including Collings, and have owned at least 6 more different brands that have parted ways for one reason or another. My overall impression of Collings is that they have the potential to provide the tone you are capable of playing; they have balanced bass - mids - trebles. It’s up to the player to mix what they want. Not every guitar has quite the same potential for my taste. They do not have a vintage vibe, but you can certainly play any style or genres nicely.

Last edited by BrunoBlack; 08-17-2019 at 09:22 AM.
Old 08-17-2019, 09:23 AM

I just took delivery of an OM2H, Baked Sitka, Addy braces, yesterday. My NGD was posted last night. I would ascribe "balanced" to it, and maybe "pretty perfect."
Love the tone. Love the feel.
When I compare it to other OMs and OOOs, it is definitely in a class with the best. I wouldn't call it "bright" but I tend to think of "bright" as "thin". It is not "thin" sounding. I guess it's clear I think it sounds fantastic.
I'll be floating on a tone cloud all weekend, I suppose.
'66 Gibson J-200, '55 J50, JB Model 1; Martin M-36; Micheletti Osprey Rigid Rim; Collings OM2H, GR Bear OM C; Emerald X10 Slimline; Gretsch HOF Country Gent & G6120CMHOF; Gibson ES-165; CP Thornton Improv; Veillette Flyer 14 & Lyric; Anderson Crowdster++ ....

Last edited by Kerbie; 08-17-2019 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Please refrain from profanity
Old 08-17-2019, 09:27 AM
Charter Member

Didn't see your NGD post but enjoy that new Collings! I have a baked Sitka Adi braced custom D1 and I totally get where you're coming from. Congrats and enjoy!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 08-17-2019, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
My overall impression of Collings is that they have the potential to provide the tone you are capable of playing; they have balanced bass - mids - trebles.
I guess balanced bass, mids and trebles are not my cup of tea.
Old 08-17-2019, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I guess balanced bass, mids and trebles are not my cup of tea.
I understand. It would be a boring world if there was only 1 choice.
Old 08-17-2019, 09:59 AM

While I am still in the giddy, honeymoon phase and my comparisons are probably not to be trusted, I'll offer this anyway.
Playing Gibson JB, Martin DSM, Micheletti, and Collings, back to back, I'll venture the OM Collings has more chime and a little more clarity. These guitars really couldn't be much more different in spec, the big ole JB with walnut b&s and spruce, the Micheletti is more of a jumbo, but with walnut and cedar, and the Martin M is Koa and European spruce. Each is different, of course. This Collings, though, is certainly special.
'66 Gibson J-200, '55 J50, JB Model 1; Martin M-36; Micheletti Osprey Rigid Rim; Collings OM2H, GR Bear OM C; Emerald X10 Slimline; Gretsch HOF Country Gent & G6120CMHOF; Gibson ES-165; CP Thornton Improv; Veillette Flyer 14 & Lyric; Anderson Crowdster++ ....
Old 08-17-2019, 10:03 AM

Years ago, in a private email exchange with another RMMGA Usenet newsgroup regular, he described the Martin sound as “Original Recipe” and the Collings sound as “Extra Crispy.” That’s such an accurate summation, to my mind, anyway, that I’ve been using it ever since.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 08-17-2019, 10:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I've only played two or three (several years ago) and they were always too bright for me so I stopped considering Collins every time I was on the hunt for a new guitar. Was I too hasty? Are there some models that are more in the Gibson or Martin vibe?
Hi Paul,

Up until the 14 fret dreadnought, Martin created tonally balanced guitars.

As of about '34 - they made the necks longer (14 frets) and thinner - 1 & 11/16" nuts etc., as they were now making rhythm guitars rather than fingerstyle guitars.

Chris Martin can be found on YouTube saying that with the advent of the dreadnought - "that balance thing went out the window", and they made them bass biased.

Gibson brought out the "jumbo" in 'the same year - '34, with that mid range "thrummy" sound, so not as bassy as dreadnought, perhaps more middle biased.

Bill Collings resolved not to emulate the post '34 Martin or Gibson "sound" that we were all so accustomed to but to create guitars perfectly balanced across the strings.

Collings guitars are not "bright" but balanced, but of course if you put a D2h against an HD28, I bet the Collings will, indeed sound brighter.

Incidentally, I've been doing some string comparisons; Martin SPs are "brighter" than D'addarios, and JPs are warmer.

Martin players like their Martin Strings (brighter strings on bass biased guitars?)
Collings recommend D'addario but many on the old Collings forum preferred JPs (warmer strings on "brighter" (?) guitars?
I enjoyed the Martins for a while, but have now gone back to D'addarios.

Another point: "Bear" (?) someone on this forum recently made a comparison of three types of picks playing the same thing on the same guitar with the same strings. Result: different thickness picks give a different sound.

Who'd a thought it?

If your Collings is too "bright" for you, put warmer strings (JPS) on it and play with a heavier pick.

If your Martin is too bassy for you, then put Martins on it and play with w thinner pick.

but ...

Last edited by Silly Moustache; 08-18-2019 at 04:37 AM.
Old 08-17-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
I've only played two or three (several years ago) and they were always too bright for me so I stopped considering Collins every time I was on the hunt for a new guitar. Was I too hasty? Are there some models that are more in the Gibson or Martin vibe?
I don't find bright a pejorative descriptor, but I'm with you and never found one I wanted to take home. They are very well built instruments and they sound the way they sound - you love it or you don't.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 08-17-2019, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyg View Post
While I am still in the giddy, honeymoon phase and my comparisons are probably not to be trusted, I'll offer this anyway.
Playing Gibson JB,
Billy, what’s a “Gibson JB?” That’s not a model name that I recognize.

whm
Old 08-17-2019, 10:20 AM

The Collings sound?

In my experience:
Instead of "bright," I'd use "clear."
Instead of "lacking bass," I'd say "not bass heavy."

Generally speaking, I'd describe Collings guitars as having less of a scooped midrange I hear in Martins (for example). I'm sure there are exceptions.

Different strokes. Different ears. And perhaps an acquired taste. I love mine. Someone mentioned strumming above. I've found the clarity of my Collings does affect the "blending" when strumming. I have to pay attention to my technique when strumming my Collings, but that's a good thing.
Old 08-17-2019, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Billy, what’s a “Gibson JB?” That’s not a model name that I recognize.

whm
Sorry, Jackson Browne Signature. 12 fret, deep body slope shoulder. Inspired by the old Roy Smeck models.
Old 08-17-2019, 10:59 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Paul, go into about 4:30 to hear the richness of the guitar.. (Notice the LDC though)

The Collings in this video sounds much brighter though...

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion