The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-16-2019, 09:04 AM
Charter Member

Default NGD MARTIN D 18 SINKER MAHAGONY OMG!!!

Heyyy Everyone today aug 16 is my birthday and I got a little something special for my special day!....quick backstory-- I own one guitar at a time and a little over a year ago I thought my search was over posting my NGD Martin D 41 reimagined WHICH WAS INCREDIBLE btw. But a month ago something starting bugging me about that deep glorious cavernous reverb/delay/chorus lol
that the 41 had with every note. Now for some that is the ticket the ANSWER but I just felt like you cant turn off all that SWIRL--those magical overtones when you wanna just play something simple and pure. So I sold it very reluctantly to a great guy here on the forum and he loves it!.
So I spent a month playing every guitar imaginable here in nyc and calling several dealers around the country.I wanted my first mahogany guitar so I was certain I was going to buy a Gibson. So I played a boatload of j45s southern jumbos 35s 200s on and on but I wasnt really impressed away until I played the Gibson J45 Vintage which was a wonderful example of a J45 with more oommph and volume etc. So my good friend Gary- aka Groberts here on the forum called me and told me NOT TO GET THE GIBSON lol he knows me and my playing style and actually he said was worried and concerned that after owning and loving the D41 the j45 would leave me wanting..jeezz Well my friend Gary is the best
so I actually listened and started considering other guitars...
Sorry for the long post-- so I headed out to the Music Zoo here on long Island which I highly recommend incredible store huge inventory of primo Taylors Gibsons Martins Lowdens top shelf Japanese made Yamahas and several beautiful vintage and used instruments and a fantastic staff the whole enchilada
On the way driving to the Zoo Gary Groberts says "hey check out the Martin D18 sinker mahogany they have in stock" I couldnt care less honestly because I was getting a Gibson... Well...I have never heard of the Sinker D18 before but It blew away every single acoustic regardless of price at the Music Zoo! Im talking high end Taylors lowdens martins Gibsons I spent 2 days at the store about 6 hours easily comparing back and forth with Nate the amazing sales guy and tremendous player and many customers and everyone unanimously proclaimed the MARTIN D18 SINKER MAHOG SUPREME. So I present to you the best dread I have ever played in my life and I have played a ton...pics coming and more details folks..THANKS FOR YOUR PATIENCE REGARDING THE LONG POST
Old 08-16-2019, 09:12 AM
Charter Member

Wow. Great silking in the spruce top. And that mahogany is the breakfast of champions.
Old 08-16-2019, 09:15 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

Sweet! D-18s are fantastic guitars...and yours is over the top GORGEOUS. Congrats and well played, my friend. And I know you are having a very happy B-day.

I miss the D-18 I sold not long ago and I often think about buying another one to round out my tiny herd. I may want to do that some day. But I ain’t gonna give up my D-41. Nope, never. Long live its glorious, lush rosewood “swirl.”

Last edited by Rev Roy; 08-16-2019 at 09:23 AM.
Old 08-16-2019, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

so sounds, feel, vibe...I have never heard such balance in an instrument perfection the lows are very strong and present but not a bass bully whatsoever
the mids are throaty and not scooped at all the trebles--the highs are sooooo
sweet and ring and chime! Very different from my D41 and to be honest it took me a bit of getting used to a hog versus the rosewood swirl no doubt! It does have overtones and plenty of volume and sustain but its not some loud dry banjo killer lol Sorry Im not a bluegrass player but Im certain it could do this.
It weighs nothing it is soooo light and the neck is perfect modern neck but it does have fullness and that 1 and 3/4 nut width is incredible for when i do my Chet Jerry reed stuff--wonderful guitar for fingerstyle!. Interestingly it came with 80 20 martin bronze strings which I do not like yet it sounds fantastic! So when I experiment with lifespans phos. bronze strings I think it will be more amazing...So I got this guitar yesterday and knew nothing about sinker mahoganey so i did some research wowww the wood used may be 200 years old I believe and no one in the country seems to carry these guitars except for Gruhns ....so I found this amazing guitar I never heard of and am ridiculously excited!!
Old 08-16-2019, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
Sweet! D-18s are fantastic guitars...and yours is over the top GORGEOUS. Congrats...and I know you are having a very happy B-day.
hey Rev! long time...thanks so much i sold my 41 and believe it or not this beats it!!! so freaking musical and pretty much same price!!!
Old 08-16-2019, 09:22 AM

Wow looks like you hit the jackpot! Congrats and happy birthday!

Old 08-16-2019, 09:24 AM

All the feels! Congratulations and Happy Birthday!
Old 08-16-2019, 09:43 AM

Happy Birthday - I’m glad to hear your new guitar came with 80/20 strings which allows the woods, bracing, and overall fine construction to be heard working together clearly in my opinion without the heavy added tonal colour of phosphor bronze. Smart move on the manufacturer’s part or the shop that sold it to you. Your enthusiasm for the instrument speaks for itself, and string alloy is a major factor in its performance. Congratulations, looks beautiful.
Old 08-16-2019, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

Wow great silking in that Sitka top! Play her in good health.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 08-16-2019, 09:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive-south View Post
Wow. Great silking in the spruce top. And that mahogany is the breakfast of champions.
thanks so much i have never seen wood like this!!
Old 08-16-2019, 09:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
Wow great silking in that Sitka top! Play her in good health.
Thanks Im blown away!
Old 08-16-2019, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
Happy Birthday - I’m glad to hear your new guitar came with 80/20 strings which allows the woods, bracing, and overall fine construction to be heard working together clearly in my opinion without the heavy added tonal colour of phosphor bronze. Smart move on the manufacturer’s part or the shop that sold it to you. Your enthusiasm for the instrument speaks for itself, and string alloy is a major factor in its performance. Congratulations, looks beautiful.
Thanks so much! whats your fav strings for this d18? I do enjoy the 80 20
btw Im not a d18 fan at all! but when I played this sinker.....forget it!!!
Old 08-16-2019, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

Congrats and Happy Birthday!! Looks like a great Martin!

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion