The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-07-2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuba Mike View Post
Hey Kats45:

You've gotten some excellent advice here. You can't go wrong with lessons (that 2nd ear, especially a trained one is invaluable) and recording yourself is also great. The recording doesn't lie. I started playing guitar 5 years ago but have been playing music much longer. With a masters in music performance, I have been using study guides such as etudes, scale and arpeggio studies, etc for over 40 years. When I first started on guitar, I plucked and strummed ditties and such for a couple of years and then decided I wanted to get more serious. I knew I would need some guitar books to help me grow and develop. A way to measure my progress and keep me focused. Otherwise, I would still be plucking and strumming ditties. The following books have helped my a great deal. Check them out and see if they are for you.

"Fingerstyle Guitar from Scratch" by Bruce Emery (Tab only).

"Travis-Style Guitar from Scratch" by Bruce Emery (if you into Travis picking) (also Tab only).

I love the Emery books. They are laid out in a way where you learn new right hand techniques on the same chords and songs so the left hand does not always have to be learning something new at the same time. Then, after your right hand has gotten the hang of it, he changes the left up a bit or introduces new chords and songs. The pieces progress nicely and new techniques are introduced at a good pace. And he is incredibly funny! That's just icing on the cake. Like all the books I use, I take them at my own pace (since I don't have to play for the school of music anymore!). They can be found at www.skepticalguitarist.com or your local music store (?)

"Right-Hand Arpeggio Studies for Acoustic Guitar" by Richard Matteson, Jr.
This one has been invaluable. The exercises are laid out well, starting simple and getting more complex. I take it at my own pace and only progress forward when I have mastered most of the current assignments. Sometimes I struggle with an exercise so I move on, finding the next few pages easier. When I return to the difficult exercises later, I find they are not as hard as when I first encountered them. Anyway, I highly recommend this one. It is in notation and tab. Published by Mel Bay, catalog # MB98547.

"Classic Guitar Technique, Volume I" by Aaron Shearer. This is one I recently picked up and have not delved into yet. It looks promising though. The third edition is published through Alfred publishing.

It looks like you have excellent guitars for fingerstyle playing and the desire to play. Hope this helps and have fun on your journey.

Mike
I actually have Emery's Fingerstyle Guitar. Right now I'm working in Mark Hanson's book, Contemporay Travis Picking. I am taking monthly lessons with a fine fingerstyle guitarist.

Martin 00-28
Cordoba C9
Yairi FY70CE
KoAloha Tenor Ukulele
KALA Tenor
Old 08-13-2019, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Kats...
I start beginner fingerstyle players with simple patterns, and insist on slow, steady and firm finger work. Fingerstyle will not clean up your playing, but it will encourage you to clean up your playing.

I start thumb and three fingers, as it is the most comprehensive, and can always be styled back to thumb-n-2 if necessary. We also start with no thumb or finger picks.

I assign the thumb to the bass strings (4-5-6) and the first finger to the 3rd string, second finger to the 2nd string and third finger to the 1st string.

Some patterns we learn are:
|T-1-2-3|
|T-3-2-1|
|T-3-1-2|
|T-1-²₃-1| (plucking fingers 2 & 3 together)

We start with 4/4 time and quarter notes (one note per beat), and then as confidence and accuracy grow speed them up to eighth notes. This is how to clean up sloppiness at it's root. Don't play any faster than you can play evenly and switch chords without missing beats.

The thumb plays the root note of the chord...so you need to know how to find the roots of chords.

At first I just have them camp out on the root and later begin to play the Root on the first set then an Alternate bass note on every other pattern (5th above or 4th under the root)

Hope this helps...

I hope zombie threads aren’t too frowned upon here. This thread has a lot of good information but also raises another question for me. Currently I’m looking at two different fingerstyle lessons online. One is from JustinGuitar and is very similar to what you describe here. The other is from GuitarTricks and is more of an alternating thumb style. I assume it’s meant to be a gateway to Travis picking. The instructor has you use thumb and first two fingers. So far only one pattern, it’s Root-1, G-2. The root and the G are played with the thumb. Playing the pattern twice is one bar of 4/4 time. I believe Justin’s patterns are quarter notes like your patterns but he doesn’t really say. I like his course but its biggest weakness is he doesn’t discuss time enough.
Which of those two approaches would folks here recommend? My ultimate goal for finger style is mainly Travis picking.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbeinct View Post
The instructor has you use thumb and first two fingers. So far only one pattern, it’s Root-1, G-2. The root and the G are played with the thumb. Playing the pattern twice is one bar of 4/4 time.
This sounds like a standard Travis-style thumb pattern, if I understand you right.
Something like this?
-------------|
-------------|
----0-----0-|
-------------|
-3-----3----|
-------------|

That would be alternating bass for a C chord - thumb only. And would usually be represented by quarter notes.

Personally I'm not a fan of starting with the thumb only (if that is indeed what you're describing). It's easy, but gives you a false sense of accomplishment. As soon as you try to incorporate a finger (let alone two), the thumb pattern typically disintegrates.

So - for Travis picking (which I prefer to call "alternating bass" because Merle Travis didn't invent it ) - I recommend starting with a complete pattern, and working beat by beat, real slow.
Thumb and one finger is enough. (Hey, if you are referring to Merle Travis, he used thumb and index only. So there. So - strictly speaking - if you use two or three fingers as most players do, you're not really "Travis picking". ))

Something like the following (again on a C chord):
Code:
  1   2 & 3 & 4   
|-0---------0-----|
|-------1---------|
|-----0-------0---|
|-----------------|
|-3-------3-------|
|-----------------|
  F     F   F 
  T   T   T   T

So the thumb is always on the beat, and the finger (one finger on both top strings, or different finger on each string) is either on the beat - picking together with the thumb in a "pinch" stroke - or in between the beats/thumb strokes.
The process is to break it down into single beats:

Beat 1 = thumb and finger together
Beat 2 = thumb, followed by finger on the "and"
Beat 3 = thumb, followed by finger on the "and"
Beat 4 = thumb

Play to a metronome and get the thumb on the click all the time. As slow as you need to to get the rhythm clean. It can help, if you're a real beginner, to set the metronome to the 8ths, to practice getting the finger(s) exactly in between the quarters.

Obviously, as you get comfortable with the interlocking of thumb and fingers, you can speed up.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:54 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

The other thing that makes a world of difference in fingerstyle is efficiency of movement. Anticipating where a finger needs to go next and have it head in that direction while the other fingers are still doing other tasks. Then knowing when to leave out an extra note that you can dispense with in order to get the other fingers where they need to be in time so there is no thuddy tone (unless that is what you are aiming for) and only clean and clear notes. It was a revelation to me when a teacher had me practice keeping my fingers closer to the strings and fretboard as I was playing. I didn't realize that I was creating unnecessary space that was making it more difficult to reach other notes in the right timing. Once I cleaned that up a bit, it really helped my left hand relax more and that helped make for better sounding and more accurate playing.

So, yeah, a lot is going on when you play fingerstyle guitar.

Best,
Jayne
Old 08-13-2019, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
I hope zombie threads aren’t too frowned upon here. This thread has a lot of good information but also raises another question for me.
It's okay. Zombies have been trying to play fingerstyle guitar for eternity and even they still don't have it down.

I completely missed that it was an old thread since the topic is always pretty relevant around here.

Best,
Jayne
Old 08-13-2019, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
This sounds like a standard Travis-style thumb pattern, if I understand you right.
Something like this?
-------------|
-------------|
----0-----0-|
-------------|
-3-----3----|
-------------|

That would be alternating bass for a C chord - thumb only. And would usually be represented by quarter notes.

Personally I'm not a fan of starting with the thumb only (if that is indeed what you're describing). It's easy, but gives you a false sense of accomplishment. As soon as you try to incorporate a finger (let alone two), the thumb pattern typically disintegrates.

So - for Travis picking (which I prefer to call "alternating bass" because Merle Travis didn't invent it ) - I recommend starting with a complete pattern, and working beat by beat, real slow.
Thumb and one finger is enough. (Hey, if you are referring to Merle Travis, he used thumb and index only. So there. So - strictly speaking - if you use two or three fingers as most players do, you're not really "Travis picking". ))

Something like the following (again on a C chord):
Code:
  1   2 & 3 & 4   
|-0---------0-----|
|-------1---------|
|-----0-------0---|
|-----------------|
|-3-------3-------|
|-----------------|
  F     F   F 
  T   T   T   T

So the thumb is always on the beat, and the finger (one finger on both top strings, or different finger on each string) is either on the beat - picking together with the thumb in a "pinch" stroke - or in between the beats/thumb strokes.
The process is to break it down into single beats:

Beat 1 = thumb and finger together
Beat 2 = thumb, followed by finger on the "and"
Beat 3 = thumb, followed by finger on the "and"
Beat 4 = thumb

Play to a metronome and get the thumb on the click all the time. As slow as you need to to get the rhythm clean. It can help, if you're a real beginner, to set the metronome to the 8ths, to practice getting the finger(s) exactly in between the quarters.

Obviously, as you get comfortable with the interlocking of thumb and fingers, you can speed up.
Thanks for the response. The -1 and -2 refer to the notes played by the ring and index fingers, respectively. So, thumb (root), ring finger high E, thumb (G), index finger B. The thumb is on 1,2,3,4, the two fingers are on “and” twice through for a bar.

Does that make sense? I really need to learn how to type out the fretboard like you did.

Last edited by davidbeinct; 08-13-2019 at 09:16 AM.
Old 08-13-2019, 09:13 AM

Sorry I just noticed the forum software took out all my spaces. It’s a simple thumb finger alternating pattern though.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the response. The -1 and -2 refer to the notes played by the ring and index fingers, respectively. So, thumb (root), ring finger high E, thumb (G), index finger B. The thumb is on 1,2,3,4, the two fingers are on “and” twice through for a bar.

Does that make sense?
Just about
Quote:
I really need to learn how to type out the fretboard like you did.
You need code tags to preserve spaces.

I typed it in Notepad first, using courier to get the spacing right. But if you just copy to here it looks like this:

1 2 & 3 & 4
|-0---------0-----|
|-------1---------|
|-----0-------0---|
|-----------------|
|-3-------3-------|
|-----------------|
F F F
T T T T

So it doesn't read the multiple spaces.

Courier New font spaces all the character proportionally, but won't preserve multiple spaces:

1 2 & 3 & 4
|-0---------0-----|
|-------1---------|
|-----0-------0---|
|-----------------|
|-3-------3-------|
|-----------------|
F F F
T T T T

So what you need is code tags:
Code:
  1   2 & 3 & 4   
|-0---------0-----|
|-------1---------|
|-----0-------0---|
|-----------------|
|-3-------3-------|
|-----------------|
  F     F   F 
  T   T   T   T
That seems to line up OK, but I notice choosing other fonts at the same time doesn't work. Here's how it looks with code tags and courier font:
Code:

1   2 & 3 & 4   
|-0---------0-----|
|-------1---------|
|-----0-------0---|
|-----------------|
|-3-------3-------|
|-----------------|
  F     F   F 
  T   T   T   T
For code tags, select the text and click the # button above the reply window. Or click that button first to get the tags, then copy in your text between them.

Last edited by JonPR; 08-13-2019 at 10:23 AM.
Old 08-17-2019, 05:02 PM

Quote:
I hope zombie threads aren’t too frowned upon here. This thread has a lot of good information but also raises another question for me. Currently I’m looking at two different fingerstyle lessons online. One is from JustinGuitar and is very similar to what you describe here. The other is from GuitarTricks and is more of an alternating thumb style. I assume it’s meant to be a gateway to Travis picking. The instructor has you use thumb and first two fingers. So far only one pattern, it’s Root-1, G-2. The root and the G are played with the thumb. Playing the pattern twice is one bar of 4/4 time. I believe Justin’s patterns are quarter notes like your patterns but he doesn’t really say. I like his course but its biggest weakness is he doesn’t discuss time enough.
Which of those two approaches would folks here recommend? My ultimate goal for finger style is mainly Travis picking.
If you're still looking for some help, here's a link to an article I wrote for Acoustic Guitar magazine a few years ago on getting started with Travis picking
https://acousticguitar.com/lesson-le...ravis-picking/
Old 08-18-2019, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I recommend you take a look at Mark Hanson’s Contemporary Travis Picking. It’s the best structured approach combining exercises and songs to develop a solid fingerstyle technique. The logical next step if you work through that book is to move into his Art of Solo Fingerstyle book. Once I got started on the second book, I also started supplementing with Alex DeGrassi’s Fingerstyle Method (available as softcover book or online at Acoustic Guitar magazine) and Pete Huttlinger’s Essential Fingerstyle Exercises (from Homespun). I also have an online teacher and take a lesson every two weeks.

Good luck.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 08-23-2019, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Walker View Post
I strongly agree.

I've been playing fingerstyle for my entire career. It's a style that forces you to play cleaner while paying close attention to all the voices you're producing.

I would suggest to the OP to make sure they're playing a guitar that is made for fingerstyle. Most players prefer a wide nut (1 3/4" or more) and comfortable string spacing down by the saddle. That could make a world of difference.
Both excellent pieces of advice. I started out as an electric/rock player and only tried fingerstyle after about 4 years of that. I took me a long time to develop right and left finger independence, and I'm still learning. Wish I'd had the right guitar at the time, it would have made a world of difference. I learnt on a cheap guitar with a very thin neck.
Maybe I now have habits I wouldn't otherwise have had.

I would have saved a lot of time if I'd had the right guitar, the discipline to follow a methodology and also, probably, been to lessons. There are some great resources now compared to when I was learning in the 80's. Good luck on your wonderful journey. You'll get there.
Old 08-23-2019, 11:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I learned the basics of finger style and Travis picking using Mark Hanson's books. There's a lot of fun stuff to play using that style. I'm basically a thumb and two finger player too, but when I force myself to add the third finger things flow a bit better and feel more natural. Why I don't default to using that third finger is one of the great mysteries of life,

I never bothered to think in "patterns" for the right hand, I just learned the music on a song by song basis. Whatever the tune called for, I just learned. What's nice about Travis picking is that it is very easy to improvise with a few chords and people will actually think you know how to play

This is a cool tune to try to learn. Its in 5 parts I believe on youtube. Don't get put off by the speed. Everything seems too fast at first.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 08-23-2019, 06:03 PM

I started out finger picking and know exactly what you mean, though I did not experience a happy-go-lucky early period of strumming. I got my knocks from day one. It was demanding as I was determined not to be defeated by a musical instrument. Eventually I managed to develop the composure needed for the on-going challenge and credit it for keeping the dream alive and well.
Old 01-15-2020, 06:52 AM

Default The Beatles ( and Queen ) Fingerstyle Guitar

Hi my name is Gavin Libotte and I am currently arranging every Beatles song for solo guitar.

ATM I am working my way through the White Album giving away my arrangements in notation/tab for FREE.

My Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIk..._as=subscriber

Here is my arrangement of Bohemian Rhapsody Fingerstyle
https://youtu.be/WDVfHciHoDU

Last edited by Kerbie; 01-15-2020 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Not allowed.
Old 01-17-2020, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kats45 View Post
I'll tell you what...fingerstyle guitar is a lovely art, but it's not very forgiving. Strumming along on a guitar is forgiving, but not so fingerstyle. It forces you to be accurate, and if you're not it will let you know with instant feedback.

Is there anyone else that started with strumming a guitar, then later decided to study fingerstyle guitar? I'm finding that it's revealing my sloppy playing in a painful matter. It might be that how I'm fretting a note is just a little off, or a string gets muffled because I don't have enough arch in my hand to prevent this.

Tone is another issue. Getting a consistently good tone has been difficult. I'll get a buzz here or there or just an unpleasant sound. Are there things you can suggest that will help me clean up my playing?

I will carry on though because this is a lovely art, and one that will clean up my playing (I hope).
I am not being flippant when I say the reason I took up finger style was because a) I love what some players can achieve and I want to get near it and b) all the cats in the neighbourhood were howling a my singing, so I figured I’d forget the voice thing!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write