The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-09-2019, 01:26 PM

Default Internet diet? How about food diet?

The Internet diet thread followed by some sites in my work day and in general have me thinking we should worry about our collective physical and mental fitness or agility more than damage from garbage consumed on the Internet.

Today and in a recent work project I was shocked by the state of much younger work associates. It might have been a year ago already but I recall articles pointing out that obesity is a treat to national security or readiness and not just a health care issue.

That earlier post was a reminder how my mind and body are both better with activity even if it's work or hurts.

I do know we can't all be fashion models and body builders - at least I can't. I have empathy for the issue because I was enough of a chubby kid to get teased for it. I also know much like my music and hobby interests we can also change our habits or what we can do over time.

One other puzzle for me on this topic is happiness. I catch so much unhappy behavior in our stores or when I drive. Would we be a happier country if we were a lighter country?

I truly think the obesity issue is going to bite us like ignoring infrastructure, dental care or the plumbing in your house. All of a sudden it will rule in very bad ways.
Old 07-09-2019, 01:51 PM
Charter Member

I read that the life expectancy in the U.S. is decreasing. One major cause is opiates. I didn't see that coming.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 07-09-2019, 02:34 PM

In a country where access to food is literally everywhere, over-consumption is indeed understandable. It's very difficult to not partake of the massive quantities and varieties of stuff. I was mortified by the number of folks in the health care industry who are morbidly obese and it's mainly the female gender. My wife and I both saw this when her sister was in treatment and when I was having my hip replacement surgery process. I've seen the same thing in Assisted Living facilities with the work force. I'm not going to assign any blame or reason for this but it is clearly evident it exists.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 07-09-2019, 05:56 PM

I weighed myself during the recent holiday weekend, and while I'm not as fat as I've ever been, I'm not far off. Pretty solid evidence that I'm a stress eater.

One reason for the concern is that I'm feeling pain from what is likely to be a pinched nerve in my neck for the past couple of weeks along with some back pain, and I feel like I have less trouble with stuff like that when I weigh less.

That makes me wonder if fatter people deal with more trouble like that.
Old 07-10-2019, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamTK1974 View Post
I weighed myself during the recent holiday weekend, and while I'm not as fat as I've ever been, I'm not far off. Pretty solid evidence that I'm a stress eater.

One reason for the concern is that I'm feeling pain from what is likely to be a pinched nerve in my neck for the past couple of weeks along with some back pain, and I feel like I have less trouble with stuff like that when I weigh less.

That makes me wonder if fatter people deal with more trouble like that.
Keeping the weight off has been the best medicine and treatment for me. Many years ago I had an injury that makes me prone to really bad muscle spasms. In recent years and a really bad 60th birthday present the arthritis and generative disk disease in the family is worse. The really bad times happen much less when I'm in size 32 pants and doing activities.

I'm not so sure about being around an abundance of food but would agree with being around poor food choices. My higher demographic neighborhood and city than where we used to live has less fat people but with family and travel in lots of parts of CO, I don't see the fat there.

As far as health care workers, I see a split between those who seem to really care about wellness and those with issues.

This is purely my observation but I found it interesting to observe differences when traveling to school events. For my daughter's track meets the teams had fit kids but the spectators and families sure looked different depending on the school and city or town. In some areas I'm sure education and profession are tied to that.

One of my kids is in the fast growing scholastic mountain biking league. Our ski club hosts a team and activities. They also have lessons for younger kids. 600+ kids are in programs there year-round. With each year of growth I see a new scenario - more parents just standing around, sitting on their fat butts, and the some who never leave or turn off their cars. There's a subculture of the angry fat vs fit parents. I get stuck as a referee. You have people exercising who don't like it when the exhaust from several cars or diesels drifts their way.

The roots of it?????? It's really bad. I'm 60 and at work sites find myself waiting for people 1/2 my age who can't move fast. When the company had a cost crisis and had to change health insurance carriers it was really clear many who had excessive claims and absence were overweight.

Maybe their's tolerance and a lack of discrimination because many leaders would be caught in it. Overweight executives who force the drug testing and psychological testing for that fitness but not all around fitness?

That national security element I read about does ring a bell when I travel. Last summer we did an epic road trip with the kids. We travel in the region. We noticed how different the people are stepping into same places such as Target, Walgreens, Wal-Mart and grocery stores in different places. I don't know how fast or how well many of those people be ready for war or a disaster.

Regardless, I sincerely wish the best for anyone trying. Having been out of shape and better I do know what the effort is and also the results.
Old 07-10-2019, 07:39 AM
Charter Member

I've been in great shape and I've been in pretty bad shape. Being in great shape is better, but sometimes health issues prevent it. I was a really hardcore cyclist for about 20 years, riding 5-6000 miles per year for many of those years. Lasted into my early 50's when long manageable health issues (mostly related to asthma) became much less manageable, keeping me from any really strenuous riding or other exercise. Since then I can walk a lot, I can do a bit of weight lifting (high rep, low weight - no more work to failure), but I just can't go hard anymore. Anytime I push it, which I occasionally do when I'm feeling good in the moment, I pay for it for 2-3 days.

Which led to putting on a fair amount of weight because I hadn't lost the appetite lots of riding builds and allows you to feed without gaining weight. Now, at age 60, in an attempt to lose some of the belly I've put on in the past several years, I'm on a Keto diet. As close to zero carbs as possible, lots of plants and plenty of fat. I basically eat meat, chicken, fish, eggs, cheese, and lots and lots of salads and other veggies, but not high carb veggies like corn or carrots or peas. Very little fruit, mostly just berries, which are relatively low in carbs and very high in fiber and other good stuff. Some nuts are good, some not so much. You just have to look at the carb content and fiber content and go for the lowest net carbs.

I've only been on it for a month or so and the test is how well I can maintain it. I have no idea. I've been through the tough first week, complete with the "keto flu", which is a real reaction as your body adapts from feeding itself on sugars to feeding itself on fat. You feel like you have a low-grade flu. Some barely experience it, some have a couple days of it, for some it evidently lasts much longer. I was pretty lucky - I felt kind of low-grade crummy for a couple of days but I was functional. And then I felt pretty much normal pretty quickly. I don't have cravings. I wake up hungry, I have a keto breakfast and I don't feel hungry again for a good long while. Sometimes I don't really have lunch, but have dinner late afternoon, which more than handles me through the night.

At THIS point, I don't miss the stuff I've given up. No more pizza, no more pasta (I LIVED on pasta when I was riding a ton), no more sandwiches, no more cereals or sweets (a little bit of very dark chocolate every now and then is OK). It's different, but at the moment, it feels like an improvement. I gotta figure the cravings a carb/sugar based diet causes can't be a good thing. OTOH, after a lifetime of loving bread, pizza, pasta, sweets, ice-cream, fruit, etc, I can't say that at SOME point I'm not gonna miss that stuff too much to stick with it. At the moment I don't miss it at all, but I can't assume it will always be this easy to stay away with so much stuff I've always loved always staring me in the face.

I understand that after a period of months, you should start introducing one or two days a week where you eat more carbs, but at the moment I'm kind of concerned that could be like an recovering alcoholic thinking they can handle one drink, or a reformed smoker thinking one cigarette won't hurt them. And then they get pulled back into the addiction.

Hi, I'm Ray, I'm a carb/sugar addict. One day at a time!
Old 07-10-2019, 08:09 AM

Ray - you bring up some excellent points about sugar cravings. Here are a few more thoughts for you that have not made it into the popular literature (yet).

Much of the immediate gratification that comes from sugar occurs in the mouth. Several sources are apparent: Salivary enzymes which immediately turn carbs to sugar (that's why toast and butter is so delicious); residual carbs and bacterial films in between the teeth; bacterial films on the tongue. So, IMO, one of the first techniques to help cut the cravings is scrupulous oral hygiene (especially cleaning in between the teeth and scrape the tongue).

Acid reflux is a cause of sugar and salt cravings - Why are we 'hungry' after dinner? Why do we desire a sweet dessert? Acid taste is moderated by salt or sugar (think sweet and sour sauce). I have found that if I want something sweet after dinner, I will first have a piece of fruit and then if I still want that sweet thing a half hour later, I will have a bit of it then. In the meantime, I have brushed and flossed my teeth and this removes lots of the carbs that were feeding the sugar craving (ie, being metabolized into sugar AFTER the meal).

Hidden sources of sugar are everywhere. My wife and I were big milk drinkers - I realized that my tolerance for lactose had decreased over the years and when this was cut out, not only some gastric symptoms were reduced, but also about 200-300 calories per day.

Also, hidden sources of sugars include things like the aforementioned toast, french fries, etc.

So my bottom line is to first attenuate the sweet tooth as much as possible. Eat slowly, and leave food on the plate. Think about everything you are putting in your mouth. Drink water. If you want a beer, have a non-alcoholic beer - they're under 100 calories. Avoid alcohol as it really screws up your blood sugar. Eat fruit. Clean your mouth meticulously after meals.

Using these techniques, I have lost ten pounds over the last 15 months (most of it in the first five months) and maintained my weight over quite a few holidays and vacations. I hope to lose a few more over this summer in preparation for my daughter's wedding. One last note - I love to eat, I love ice cream and chocolate - I still reserve this option for special times - you've got to live!

best,

Rick
Old 07-10-2019, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Voltaire View Post
I'm guessing that the female gender comprises the vast majority of health care workers, other than doctors.
I'm not sure if "vast majority" is true anymore.
The ratio of male to female in the emergency rooms we had to frequent was probably 40% male, maybe even a bit more.
My wife's sister had several male nurses in attendance over her as she progressed through her different stages of treatment at various locations. I would say nearly 50% there as well.
After hip replacement, my therapist was a man. In the surgery room is was also abou 50-50.
In contrast, the number of female doctors was noticeably higher than I expected and a lot of them are young. That would seem to indicate a change in demographics of physicians.
Anyway, I'm sure you are correct that the numbers are still higher with women.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

Last edited by rokdog49; 07-10-2019 at 08:15 AM.
Old 07-10-2019, 08:20 AM

I used to be a fairly serious athlete in my younger days. I played football, did fitness training and weight lifting, and rowed on my high school and college crews. All good things, but I was always frustrated that I never looked like one of those people in the fitness mags. I looked like someone who was in shape but one step from toppling over the edge into obesity. As my 20s turned into my 30s, it got harder to fight it from a time and energy standpoint, and in late 2009 at age 35, I was 6' tall and weighed around 275lbs.

I got divorced in 2010 (long story), and ended up shrinking down to around 210lbs in a few months. I felt pretty good and my clothes fit well. But I wasn't able to keep it going and ended up heavy again, having to change my trouser size every year or so. Had a near-diabetic scare back around 2013. Taking my coffee black from that point forward helped.

If I were a completely sedentary individual, it would be easier to understand. Alot of it comes down to bad food choices and habits.
Old 07-10-2019, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
Using these techniques, I have lost ten pounds over the last 15 months (most of it in the first five months) and maintained my weight over quite a few holidays and vacations. I hope to lose a few more over this summer in preparation for my daughter's wedding. One last note - I love to eat, I love ice cream and chocolate - I still reserve this option for special times - you've got to live!
Thanks for the tips Rick. I too have a daughter's wedding coming up in the Fall. It isn't the primary motivation for any of this, but it is part of the kick in the pants I needed to finally start doing something about it. Now if I can come up with a tear duct diet so I can avoid being a blubbering fool as I walk her down the aisle...
Old 07-10-2019, 09:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
I've been in great shape and I've been in pretty bad shape. Being in great shape is better, but sometimes health issues prevent it. I was a really hardcore cyclist for about 20 years, riding 5-6000 miles per year for many of those years. Lasted into my early 50's when long manageable health issues (mostly related to asthma) became much less manageable, keeping me from any really strenuous riding or other exercise. Since then I can walk a lot, I can do a bit of weight lifting (high rep, low weight - no more work to failure), but I just can't go hard anymore. Anytime I push it, which I occasionally do when I'm feeling good in the moment, I pay for it for 2-3 days.

Which led to putting on a fair amount of weight because I hadn't lost the appetite lots of riding builds and allows you to feed without gaining weight. Now, at age 60, in an attempt to lose some of the belly I've put on in the past several years, I'm on a Keto diet. As close to zero carbs as possible, lots of plants and plenty of fat. I basically eat meat, chicken, fish, eggs, cheese, and lots and lots of salads and other veggies, but not high carb veggies like corn or carrots or peas. Very little fruit, mostly just berries, which are relatively low in carbs and very high in fiber and other good stuff. Some nuts are good, some not so much. You just have to look at the carb content and fiber content and go for the lowest net carbs.

I've only been on it for a month or so and the test is how well I can maintain it. I have no idea. I've been through the tough first week, complete with the "keto flu", which is a real reaction as your body adapts from feeding itself on sugars to feeding itself on fat. You feel like you have a low-grade flu. Some barely experience it, some have a couple days of it, for some it evidently lasts much longer. I was pretty lucky - I felt kind of low-grade crummy for a couple of days but I was functional. And then I felt pretty much normal pretty quickly. I don't have cravings. I wake up hungry, I have a keto breakfast and I don't feel hungry again for a good long while. Sometimes I don't really have lunch, but have dinner late afternoon, which more than handles me through the night.

At THIS point, I don't miss the stuff I've given up. No more pizza, no more pasta (I LIVED on pasta when I was riding a ton), no more sandwiches, no more cereals or sweets (a little bit of very dark chocolate every now and then is OK). It's different, but at the moment, it feels like an improvement. I gotta figure the cravings a carb/sugar based diet causes can't be a good thing. OTOH, after a lifetime of loving bread, pizza, pasta, sweets, ice-cream, fruit, etc, I can't say that at SOME point I'm not gonna miss that stuff too much to stick with it. At the moment I don't miss it at all, but I can't assume it will always be this easy to stay away with so much stuff I've always loved always staring me in the face.

I understand that after a period of months, you should start introducing one or two days a week where you eat more carbs, but at the moment I'm kind of concerned that could be like an recovering alcoholic thinking they can handle one drink, or a reformed smoker thinking one cigarette won't hurt them. And then they get pulled back into the addiction.

Hi, I'm Ray, I'm a carb/sugar addict. One day at a time!
We are Twin Llamas with Different Mamas!

Another past hard core cyclist that raced for a few years and did a transcontinental ride. Trying to get back out on the bike more (or stand up paddleboard) but at age 60, also try to do 2-3 days a week of weight work due to natural loss of muscle mass that comes with aging.

Sugar is the enemy. My wife and I try to really limit bread, sugar, and alcohol in our diets. We think it is OK (actually good for you) to have one alcoholic beverage a day. We have a goal to go to the gym or walk/ride/paddle at least 3 but hopefully 4-5 times a week.

I've so far avoided a beer belly but the older you get, the more you have to be vigilant. Would like to lose another 5-10 lbs over the next year (5'11" and hovering at 176-178 lbs).

Don't forget sleep, it's so important and it's easy for us guitar geeks to stay up late playing our music!

The obesity epidemic is tragic especially amongst young teens and pre-teens. Many have poor examples with their parents. When I see two obese adults with an obese child, I really do believe it's a form of child abuse.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 07-10-2019, 10:26 AM

Default One more thing...

For anyone on this journey:

Become a detective. Keep a diary of exactly what you eat, when your cravings occur, when you're hungry and when you're not. Include sleep patterns, caffeine intake, etc. Know the approximate calorie and carbohydrate count of what you are eating. Look for patterns and understand your body's cycles.

The secret to weight loss (and it is no secret) is a little each day, each week. Your weight didn't appear overnight and it won't disappear overnight. Just cutting a couple of hundred calories out every day eventually leads to weight loss.
Old 07-10-2019, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
For anyone on this journey:

Become a detective. Keep a diary of exactly what you eat, when your cravings occur, when you're hungry and when you're not. Include sleep patterns, caffeine intake, etc. Know the approximate calorie and carbohydrate count of what you are eating. Look for patterns and understand your body's cycles.

The secret to weight loss (and it is no secret) is a little each day, each week. Your weight didn't appear overnight and it won't disappear overnight. Just cutting a couple of hundred calories out every day eventually leads to weight loss.
I'm glad you said no secret. My middle aged turn around was sparked by a serious incident and then I had an extended period of care and follow up with GI and endocrine specialists.

The big lesson in the specialty care at a major university clinic was don't go to an extreme such as the current carb or keto fad. The clinic hands out the same well balanced diet for everyone if they do not have a specific issue that requires cutting sugar or fat. In my case I need low fat and low carb.

The specialists repeated that extremes and fads are hard to sustain. They said jumping on something like a new religion can help start some change but you want a sustainable diet. You want a diet where you are not going to have any problems finding something that you can eat or that works. I do agree. It took a first year of discipline just like picking up a musical instrument or language to make it normal.

I'm all for anything that helps one do better but now I'm 2007 to 2019 with better diet and activity. It's a combo of sad and laughable when I see associates go on and off the bandwagon with fads and extremes and not achieve what I've done with common sense and discipline.

A dear friend who's truly got a bad scenario of fighting weight issues his whole life got back down to a better weight again and maintained it for almost two years now for admitting once again that his latest round of being a fool was reading keto and low carb books and listing to their self-serving promoters just like decades ago he thought the same for carbs being the answer. For a second time in life he's done what my specialists said. Just move your body and don't be a fool when you eat. Stop eating out. Stop fooling yourself.

It is work but it works. I'm tired and I have a lot of stuff to do but we're preparing a smart meal, and I'm forcing 1+ hour of activity soon when I take my kid to an event. Not a penny spent on a fad book or given to a snake oil seller. Just a decent home made dinner and making sure I "close the rings" with the Apple Watch.

You're right about being a detective but I find it easy to read labels and eat simple stuff if I'm traveling or out. I also admit the computer as a nudge (Apple Watch) helps a lot but that's more for performance than diet.

Good luck all.
Old 07-10-2019, 04:02 PM
Charter Member

Default Keto Diet - it does work if done right

My wife and I did a six-week "Keto Challenge" along with several other classmates in a fitness facility that we belong to. BTW, the facility offers these "boot camp" type of classes which are essentially a few minutes of warm-up followed by twenty to twenty-five minutes of high intensity interval training.

First of all, ketosis is the state at which your body burns fat as a fuel source, not carbohydrates. The diet is really really fat heavy and carbo light with some protein.

We were both skeptical at first. However, my wife is a biochemist and she read up on ketosis and decided that if we were going to do it, we had to do it together.

We both lost significant weight. Most if it came in the first three weeks, then both of us came down with a that respiratory illness that felt like the flu and the medicine had enough carbs in it to take us out of ketosis.

Many in the class lost from ten to thirty pounds and reduced their body fat by 2 to 5 percent. However, many in the class lost very little weight and did not reduce their body fat percentage.

The key is that those who followed the program reached successful results. You must follow the diet and stay in ketosis. It takes three or four days to get into a ketosis state, but only an hour to get out of it. The people that drank a beer each Saturday were not in state on Sunday, Monday or Tuesday. The same with sneaking in some pizza or birthday cake - if you are out of state, you are not burning fat.

You can tell when you are in ketosis because your breath seems so foul that you want to use Scope or Listerine all day. The real way is to buy these ketone urinalysis strips over the counter and monitor the ketone levels. If you stay in a high state of ketosis for a few weeks and do thirty minutes of moderate exercise a day, you will see the weight begin to come off.

The trick is to keep it off once you finish the program. I don't think a keto diet is sustainable over a long period of time (unless there is a medical necessity.) And I think that marketers are taking advantage of the fad to sell keto cookies and keto pizza and so on. But if you do it right, and do it with discipline, it will work.

As always though, everyone's personal situation is different and you should do some research before jumping in to a program like this.

CK
Went from 221 to 189 in six weeks and dropped 2.5% of body fat percentage.
Guild 12 String
Mark V Classical
Martin Dreadnaught
Weber Mandolin

Last edited by Cypress Knee; 07-11-2019 at 08:08 AM.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:03 AM

Had to follow my own advice last night.

It had been a busy, stressful day at work with little time for lunch. When I got home, I launched into stress eating mode, scarfing down hummus and crackers, then a lean dinner. But I wasn’t done... so after dinner, had a banana, then About a half hour after that, grabbed the trail mix (which is full of M and M’s) - bad move.

I broke the fugue by going upstairs for a shower and then thoroughly flossing and brushing my teeth. It worked, and stopped me from nibbling all night. Try it, it works.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic