The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-19-2018, 09:42 AM

If you use a line array or an amp behind you, right away I would limit your choices to super-cardiod mics. Choose a Sennheiser 945 rather than the 935 for instance. The reason is because you need the high directionality to avoid feedback with an amp behind you.

If you use a traditional monitor in front of you or in ears, you might prefer the slightly wider pickup pattern of a cardiod, especially if you play guitar and glance down at your fingers while you are playing. If you are comfortable with a super cardiod pattern, stick with the super cardiod.

Once you have decide between a cardiod and a super cardiod, tying a bunch of mics really is key. When my friend and I did this, we both have similar soft voices and gravitated towards the mics that cut through the most. I believe that is why we both liked the Audix OM so much. Willie Nelson uses an Audix OM 5 live and that makes perfect sense to me since he also has a soft voice. I was working with a really good girl singer in a duo at the time I did my experimenting, and when I excitedly put an OM 5 in front of her one night, it really didn’t sound that good on her voice. She drives a lot more and has a completely different sound. She never used it again. Try a bunch of good mics and go with the one that suits your voice.

If money is no object, The Neumann KMS 105 is spectacular. They use them at live shows at the Heartwood in Gainesville Florida and wow are they nice.

If you are using a Bose L1C, S1, or T series mixer, I would consider at least trying the Audix OM3 or 5 since that is the mic their modeling is built around. The Tonematch presets sound particularly good with the Audix because of this.

If you are using a TC Helicon Voicelive, I would consider trying their MP series mics since that is the mic their modeling is built around, plus you can control their box effects with switches built into the mics if you want: a singer can bring in harmonies or work a looper from the mic switches.

Also, consider that often a good dynamic mic is better for live sound. The reason is that they are less sensitive to distance sounds and will better isolate the vocal from the rest of the band.

My favorite mic for recording my own vocal is the Shure SM7B. I use it with a FetHead phantom powered inline preamp. I like it because it sounds wonderful and gives you great vocal recordings in a less than optimal room (like any room in my home). It also isolates the sound of my voice from the guitar on my lap well. I don’t like it live though at any sort of volume because it will feed back if the amplification is behind me.

I had a Telefunkin M80 for a while but pretty much hated it on my voice.

The chances are that if you audition a bunch of mics, the one you end up with won’t be the most expensive.
Old 12-19-2018, 11:43 AM

When I use an sm58 with my Compact, I have the speaker almost parallel with the mic and about four feet away. Still sound very good, and avoids feedback.
Old 12-19-2018, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

Anyone have experience with this built for the stage ribbon mic? Sounds really interesting to me:
https://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/tg-v90.html
Old 12-19-2018, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnewsom View Post
When I use an sm58 with my Compact, I have the speaker almost parallel with the mic and about four feet away. Still sound very good, and avoids feedback.

The most important difference between an SM58 and the Beta58 is the polar pattern. A 58 is a cardiod, the Beta58 is a super cardioid. The Beta58 uses a more powerful neodymium magnet so it is a little hotter. It also has a stainless steel ball windscreen and better handling noise rejection. Both mics are good at rejecting handling noise though and I replace the balls every year or so with cheap Chinese knockoffs from eBay.

I use the Audix OM-3 (or 5) for myself and have a Beta58 handy for guest vocalists on a separate mic stand.

Another reason I like using a dynamic mic is that I’ve been using a Xvive U3 wireless system lately and that can’t power a phantom powered mic. That system is just so small and I like that the receiver plugs straight into my amp.
Old 12-19-2018, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringmaster View Post
Anyone have experience with this built for the stage ribbon mic? Sounds really interesting to me:

https://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/tg-v90.html

Looks interesting but since I use an amp behind me or to the side, I want to stick to super-cardiods.
Old 12-19-2018, 12:11 PM

Just tossing this out there in case anyone gets a chance to try one. The MBHO 219 C or SC is the best mic I’ve found for my voice. It’s a dynamic but really sounds near condenser like. Just excellent reproduction of your voice. I echo a lot of Lkingston comments, except on the Neumann 105. I had one that really left me flat to the point I though I had a bad one. Have always wanted to try a Sennheiser 965 though. Hopefully soon.
Old 12-19-2018, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj61 View Post
Just tossing this out there in case anyone gets a chance to try one. The MBHO 219 C or SC is the best mic I’ve found for my voice. It’s a dynamic but really sounds near condenser like. Just excellent reproduction of your voice. I echo a lot of Lkingston comments, except on the Neumann 105. I had one that really left me flat to the point I though I had a bad one. Have always wanted to try a Sennheiser 965 though. Hopefully soon.

Actually I’m kind of glad to hear negative reports on the Neumann 105. I can’t afford one so it is good to hear I might not like it anyway! ;-)

At the Heartwood in Gainesville they are using the Neumann mics with a Midas board, and the EQ control on that can make any mic sound wonderful. It actually doesn’t surprise me that I would love it in that venue but that a person might find it flat and lifeless on a simpler PA with a lessor EQ.

Most of us are working with small PA systems and guitar amps that really don’t have much flexibility in terms of EQ. All these mics have slightly different EQ curves and finding one that compliments your voice can make all the difference in the lower budget world. For instance, I pretty much run the OM5 flat. This is a good thing when all you have is a three band EQ with maybe a sweepable mid at most!
Old 12-19-2018, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
As a singer first, then guitar player, I see my voice as my primary instrument. That said, $500 seems a bit much for a vocal mic for live use.

To put it in perspective, my most costly acoustic electric guitar (currently) is (was) $650.

Tonight, I played through a $500 guitar.

My rig consists of a Yamaha MG06X to Yamaha DXR10 powered speaker. My guitar pedal board is LR Baggs Para DI to GFS tuner, to Mooer Baby Water chorus, to Donner Square verb, to Electro Harmonix Canyon delay into channel 3/4.

My vocal is on channel 1 with the eq set flat. I use the short delay.

I've used this rig with a Beta 58 (Shure), a Sennheiser e945, e935, EV767A, AKD D5 DLX, Audix OM2, Blue Encore 100, 200, 300, and a Heil PR20 previously, so I am familiar with the sound.

So, I used the Sennheiser e965 tonight and I gotta say that a $500 vocal mic is something every singer's voice deserves. The vocal clarity, detail, expressiveness come through loud and clear. The effects truly add to the voice now rather than mask flaws. This mic had retailed at $699 and dropped to $499 when they had the lower prices on the e945 and e935. The sweet features are the switch to go from cardioid to supercardioid, the bass roll off, and the 10db pad. Truly a great mic.

Maybe I'm just trying to justify the price paid, but I have that much or more in my (small acoustic) pedal board.

For those of you still running 58s, yes they are good, but if you're a singer first, before you buy that next $2500 guitar, try a great vocal mic.
Depends on your voice. The Heil PR35 is the best I've hear thus far. I've even tried the 945, 935, Telefunken and the very expensive Neumann. YMMV
Old 12-19-2018, 01:48 PM

Yep - a vocalist SHOULD invest in a great mic same as we all do our guitars..

I was always a 58 fan, tried KMS-104 for a while, went "back"/"up" to a 58 Beta and Wireless 58 Beta. Then decided to try Wireless 87 Beta, and will stay there for forseeable future, if not forever..

I WOULD like to find a vintage 664 just for old time sake, and as a backup to my hammer.. :-}
Old 12-19-2018, 03:31 PM

Right there with you. I've used, and continue to use, lots of dynamic mics. And I'm bummed every time. None sound as good as a good condenser. My current faves are a Miktek PM5 and an AKG EB 535 C.
Old 12-19-2018, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzardwhiskey View Post
My current faves are a Miktek PM5 and an AKG EB 535 C.
I've used the AKG 535 for over 30 years, mostly live. I love it and I wish I could get more (they were discontinued in the last few years and prices have shot up for used ones). They work super well on my and my partners voices. I would never tour without them.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 12-21-2018, 06:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
The 935 is less prone to the proximity effect. I move around a bit and the 945 really drops out if you are slightly off axis with it.

Sound wise, I hear slightly better high end sparkle with the 945.

Feedback wise the 935 beats the 945 every scenario I've used them in. My experience is that the 935 does a better job of rejecting feedback than the 945, not that the 945 is bad. But the 935 is less feedback prone in my experience.
These are exactly my experiences with the 945. I like the slight high mid boost as it helps me cut through the mix a bit, but have had to adjust my technique a bit for the significant proximity effect. Though I'm delighted at this point in life to perform in venues where it's safe to close my eyes when I sing, I have to watch that I'm on axis!
Old 12-21-2018, 04:02 PM
Charter Member

Dang internet--I started researching some of these mics and now I want a thousand dollar Earthworks, and I don't even sing that well!! HaHa
Old 12-21-2018, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringmaster View Post
Dang internet--I started researching some of these mics and now I want a thousand dollar Earthworks, and I don't even sing that well!! HaHa
I just got a blue 200 something and a 945 and i thought i was flying high but i see im still just breaking wind. [emoji1787]

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification