The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-05-2022, 06:10 PM

So since channel 2 is Hi-Z, should i use channel 1 instead for my active pickup guitar? I though Hi-Z was for passive pickups.
Old 12-10-2022, 10:47 AM

S1 Pro's biggest weakness has been improved on ?? Comment from YouTube: Last week I traded in my Bose S1 Pro for an Everse8. Wow, what a difference! The Everse8 is surely a next-generation speaker. The microphone preamps are far better, far more powerful and yet with excellent clarity.
Old 12-11-2022, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
So since channel 2 is Hi-Z, should i use channel 1 instead for my active pickup guitar? I though Hi-Z was for passive pickups.
Anyone know the answer?
Old 12-12-2022, 11:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Anyone know the answer?
("So since channel 2 is Hi-Z, should i use channel 1 instead for my active pickup guitar? I though Hi-Z was for passive pickups.")

I'm not expert in this area, and since I've always played with active (Fishman) pickups, have never paid much attention to it. But having just gone down a rabbit hole on this--it can be a bit of a rabbit hole. I, too, thought Hi-Z was for passive pickups, but you can find a fair amount of "it depends" discussions.

So I just plugged my Sonitone-equipped Road Series into the Hi-Z jack of my 30m, Channel 4. I can't say I noticed a difference in tone--something as I understand it is very noticeable with passive pickups--but the Hi-Z jack required much less volume on that channel than when I plugged into the combo jack.

You're not going to damage anything by experimenting so have at it. I will say--I've always thought it's odd on multi-channel PAs like my 30m to have only one input with a Hi-Z. There are six legit (combo) inputs on the 30m and the first four have compression too, along with all kinds of EQ and effects--but just one Hi-Z. If you're a duo or whatever with more than one guitar, you're on you're own baby! (use a DI I suppose).
Old 12-12-2022, 01:38 PM

Quote:
An input that is specifically designed as "Hi Z" will impose much less of a loading effect in the device that's plugged into it.

That will often lessen any negative effects on the tone of the instrument, but the down side of that is active circuits that are plugged into it can overload the input's circuitry more easily.

That's why inputs that are specifically designed to accept high impedance transducers (such as unbuffered piezo-based guitar pickups without their own pre-amp) often have a selector switch to return the input to a standard range.

With that in mind, there are no hard and fast rules. Plug in and listen to the results. It's easy to compare if there's a selector switch to set the input to "Hi Z", otherwise use one of the standard inputs and judge for yourself.
Old 12-12-2022, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
("So since channel 2 is Hi-Z, should i use channel 1 instead for my active pickup guitar? I though Hi-Z was for passive pickups.")

I'm not expert in this area, and since I've always played with active (Fishman) pickups, have never paid much attention to it. But having just gone down a rabbit hole on this--it can be a bit of a rabbit hole. I, too, thought Hi-Z was for passive pickups, but you can find a fair amount of "it depends" discussions.

So I just plugged my Sonitone-equipped Road Series into the Hi-Z jack of my 30m, Channel 4. I can't say I noticed a difference in tone--something as I understand it is very noticeable with passive pickups--but the Hi-Z jack required much less volume on that channel than when I plugged into the combo jack.

You're not going to damage anything by experimenting so have at it. I will say--I've always thought it's odd on multi-channel PAs like my 30m to have only one input with a Hi-Z. There are six legit (combo) inputs on the 30m and the first four have compression too, along with all kinds of EQ and effects--but just one Hi-Z. If you're a duo or whatever with more than one guitar, you're on you're own baby! (use a DI I suppose).
Thanks. Yes all those "well it depends" answers confused me. I guess I'll do some experimenting.
Old 12-16-2022, 08:08 PM

Comment from customer: NEXT GENERATION PA SPEAKER

I traded in a Bose S1Pro and took this home without auditioning it. At first I just hooked up my cell phone by Bluetooth and listened to tracks from various genres on Spotify. I was kind of dismayed at what I felt was lack of high fidelity sound. I was even considering returning it! Then I thought, hey, EV would surely not make an inferior audio product! So I learned about the various EQ settings, realized I had chosen a flat and lifeless EQ curve and corrected it, and tried again. The speaker provides numerous presets to suit one's needs. The EQ settings on the vocal line 1 can be set differently than the background music. What a difference! Superb sound. But the best part was yet to come. The S1Pro, and even my JBL Eon One, have inadequate microphone preamps with poor volume. Not the Everse8; not only the volume is far superior, but the clarity is excellent as well. I don't play guitar so I can't talk about guitar sound. But vocals and background tracks for karaoke/cover singing is just superb. I just sing karaoke at home and during gatherings with friends, but am very fussy about high quality sound. I listened to a friend sing from about 40 feet away, and the sound was so clear with excellent volume. And oh, I almost forgot: the QuickSmart app (both my phone and tablet are Android devices) is superb, giving great control over much of the features. It uses Bluetooth independently from Bluetooth Audio. Comparing sound quality from a 3.5 mm cable and Bluetooth, I found it hard to tell the difference. But with a group of friends, it is far more convenient to use the 3.5 mm audio in rather than Bluetooth. The Everse8 is exactly what the audio doctor ordered! Congratulations, EV on your first battery powered speaker; it is outstanding!
Old 12-20-2022, 09:41 AM

Reviewer comment:
I posted a review of the Everse8 on Sweetwater which they published a couple of days ago. Not sure why reviewers are obsessed with speaker volume, whereas what is HIGHLY IMPORTANT, is the CLARITY and FIDELITY of a PA speaker chosen for the size of an audience and the surroundings. People quickly get sick of heavy thumping bass! For four years I've had a Bose S1Pro which has PATHETICALLY POOR microphone Preamps!!! So I've used a mixer with it as that is the only way I could get decent volume. Whereas the Everse8, wow, a whole new breed of PA speaker! The EQ adjustments available are just amazing. Which makes me realize that the audio quality of a PA speaker is entirely dependent on EQ settings. Even the elementary settings of treble, mid and bass belong to yesteryear!!! I also have an Eon One (the first one) and I love its sound quality but again, you only get its best with a mixer. Pretty poor Mic preamps on it too! The Eon One is big, fat and heavy so it just stays at home for karaoke! If I want to replace it I'd consider the JBL Eon One Mk2 for $1250.
Old 12-20-2022, 10:03 AM

Hi Wweiss,

you should make a video to explain how you EQ your Everse and how you used to EQ your Bose.

When you say the Bose S1 pro had "PATHETICALLY POOR microphone Preamps!!! So I've used a mixer with it as that is the only way I could get decent volume. ", are you talking gain or EQ voicing?
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 12-20-2022, 11:09 AM

So I tried my guitar with an active pickup in channel one and channel 2, which is HiZ and channel 2 sounded much louder. Since the guitar in channel 1 is much louder than my mic in channel 2, I think I'll not use the HiZ channel since I don't need the extra gain.
Old 12-21-2022, 07:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
Hi Wweiss,

you should make a video to explain how you EQ your Everse and how you used to EQ your Bose.

When you say the Bose S1 pro had "PATHETICALLY POOR microphone Preamps!!! So I've used a mixer with it as that is the only way I could get decent volume. ", are you talking gain or EQ voicing?
I'm not wweiss but I'll add that in my considerable experience as a Bose S1 Pro power-user for many years that I more or less agree with his assessment. While I wouldn't say that the S1 mic preamps were 'pathetically poor', they certainly are underpowered which I'm pretty sure is what he meant. The mic preamps are of at least a decent quality since the vocal tone you get out of a Bose S1 Pro is excellent even with the limited EQ options.

There is just not as much volume as one would like especially when compared with a guitar with an active pickup system. You typically need to turn the mic up to 75% or more to match the volume what you get out of your active guitar at 50% but the sound quality is very good, especially for vocals. Like wweiss, I too used a mixer in front of the S1 for more inputs, more gain and much wider EQ and tone shaping options and effects.

Quote:
So I tried my guitar with an active pickup in channel one and channel 2, which is HiZ and channel 2 sounded much louder. Since the guitar in channel 1 is much louder than my mic in channel 2, I think I'll not use the HiZ channel since I don't need the extra gain.
No experience with the EV Everse 8 (and with only two inputs never will) but this has been my experience with the Hi Z input on the EV30M. One of the differences between my two LR Baggs StagePro equipped RainSong guitars is one has an Element StagePro while the other has an Anthem StagePro. The Anthem has SIGNIFICANTLY less output gain than the Element and therefore requires a higher input gain. I typically run the Element equipped RainSong into channel 1 instrument (non-Hi Z) while the Anthem equipped RainSong goes into channel 4's Hi Z input which definitely gives me more input gain.
Old 12-21-2022, 02:55 PM

Cucki79 That wasn't my statement. I just cut and pasted a customer review I found on a music store website.
Old 12-22-2022, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wweiss View Post
Cucki79 That wasn't my statement. I just cut and pasted a customer review I found on a music store website.
Thanks Wweiss, I think I will stick to my JBL eon one compact until I know better
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 12-25-2022, 12:33 PM

Unexpectedly Awesome
I was looking for keyboard gig/monitor solution for over a year and tried a lot of different products. Most were either too heavy, awkward to carry, lack of EQ controls, lousy sound - too bottom heavy, etc. I have two keyboards I use on a regular basis, so I wanted at least two inputs, and having a 3 band or better EQ was a requirement.

The Everse 8 has a nice little mobile app to manage EQ and other settings without having to go to the back of the speaker to manage settings in the little display with a knob. This thing puts out a very clear and strong sound without even tweaking the EQ. I tested organs with heavy bottom end along with various pianos that had great mid and high range clarity. Volume in the room was great. Of course it's not intended to be a large venue amp, but I'm adding a second unit to provide additional power plus ability to set up across wide stages so the other half of the band can hear me - and that 2nd unit can be controlled from the app if they want more or less volume from me.

At 17 pounds, these are amazing and easy to carry around for small gigs and easy to expand for larger ones. Easy to send signal to a house system too using XLR or 1/4".
Old 12-26-2022, 09:01 AM

after a few weeks of using the Everse 8, I would say soundwise...it's not noticeably better than the JBL Compact...just "different". The Everse sounds more clear while the JBL has more bass IMO. With the JBL you also get 1 more channel, which could be important. If you are a musician, the "water resistant" aspect shouldn't be a reason to buy, since you can't do anything but bluetooth with the cover on. In the end, I like the Everse, but it's not clearly better than the JBL Compact IMO. I like EVs app better than JBLs and yes, it's a bit louder, but in the places where I would use my JBL, I was never pushing it to it's max anyway. So IMO, if you already own a JBL Compact, there's no compelling reason to make the switch.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification