The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 04-10-2023, 12:30 PM

Default Hymne à l'amour - Edith Piaf Fingerstyle guitar (Martin HD28V)

To celebrate the nice weather, I've decided to shoot an outdoor video this time, and what better tune to showcase the beautiful spring weather than this classic post-WWII French song!

As usual, I do 3-4 takes when I'm making YouTube videos, and select the one I like best. No cutting/editing, it's a live take. You can hear some birds in the background.

I hope you'll enjoy watching this video as much as I enjoyed recording it!

Old 04-10-2023, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

Nicely done. Recorded sound came out well.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 04-10-2023, 03:38 PM
Charter Member

I’ve enjoyed playing this song, and watching YouTubes of other guitarists playing this song, using Roland Dyens’ classical guitar arrangement of this famous French song for several years. (Actually I play it in E, so that I don’t have to tune the sixth string down to Eb like Dyens does. It’s crazy - you can play straight off of the Eb score, just play with 4 sharps instead of with 3 flats)

So it is very refreshing to hear your very nice, completely different approach in a different key on a steel string guitar. Congratulations on a fine arrangement and a fine performance! Thank you for sharing it with us here!
Old 04-11-2023, 09:27 AM

I love videos outside in nature- you did a wonderful job with this, and that Martin sounds absolutely huge!

Robbie
Huss and Dalton T-0014 (ex Albert Lee)
Brook Lamorna (2022) (borrowed)
Jose Marques custom OM (borrowed)
Old 04-11-2023, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Nicely done. Recorded sound came out well.
Thanks! It was harder to gauge how the audio would turn out, but I’m not sure pretty pleased with the result! I think you can’t go wrong with the AKG C535EB on acoustic guitar anyway…
Old 04-11-2023, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceciltguitar View Post
I’ve enjoyed playing this song, and watching YouTubes of other guitarists playing this song, using Roland Dyens’ classical guitar arrangement of this famous French song for several years. (Actually I play it in E, so that I don’t have to tune the sixth string down to Eb like Dyens does. It’s crazy - you can play straight off of the Eb score, just play with 4 sharps instead of with 3 flats)

So it is very refreshing to hear your very nice, completely different approach in a different key on a steel string guitar. Congratulations on a fine arrangement and a fine performance! Thank you for sharing it with us here!

Thank you for the kind words! I was considering playing it on nylon guitar, but ended up deciding on the Martin Dreadnought instead. Didn’t make my life easier though… (it’s harder to make those notes ring nice and clean on the steel string).

As for the arrangement, I played it with a singer a few years ago who sang it in A, and wrote the arrangement that way because of that and the way the guitar would interact with her vocals (I wasn’t playing the melody while she was thinking, sometimes just throwing harmonies in)
Old 04-11-2023, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Dweller View Post
I love videos outside in nature- you did a wonderful job with this, and that Martin sounds absolutely huge!

Robbie
Yeah, the guitar sounds massive without anything to reverberate the sound, which was a nice surprise! The big scary unknown was factors out of my control (somebody reving a car engine for example, kids in the school yard next door). I was lucky, I timed it perfectly and didn’t have any unwanted noise (except for the birds, but I was counting on that)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell