The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-03-2022, 01:52 AM

Default Lowering strings on Furch

Hello
I have a Furch Red and the strings are set a little too high to my taste - is it possible to do this yourself? If so and good links to a guide for lowering the strings on a Furch with a CNR-neck system?
Old 06-03-2022, 03:00 AM

You can try loosening the strings and taking out the bridge to see if there is a shim/spacer under it. If so, just take it out, put the bridge back in, and then check out the lowered height to see if it’s to your satisfaction.

(My Yellow was this way and with the spacer out, the need to take it to the guitar shop to get it lowered disappeared. Easy peasy! )

Old 06-03-2022, 04:16 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimelie View Post
You can try loosening the strings and taking out the bridge to see if there is a shim/spacer under it. If so, just take it out, put the bridge back in, and then check out the lowered height to see if it’s to your satisfaction.

(My Yellow was this way and with the spacer out, the need to take it to the guitar shop to get it lowered disappeared. Easy peasy! )

Thank you Amelie I will take a look at this
Old 06-03-2022, 04:38 AM

Removing any shims under the SADDLE, not the bridge, will help, but setup is more than simply saddle height.
Old 06-03-2022, 04:54 AM

This is what I get for responding to a post before my coffee has truly kicked in.

Old 06-03-2022, 06:59 AM

There is probably a shim under the saddle. My Furch had also nut slots that were high, if that is the case, I'd recommend taking it to luthier for filing the nut slots.

Furch Rainbow 2022 Deep OM Adirondack-EIR
Eastman E10D-TC
Eastman T486
Sigma CR-10
Old 06-03-2022, 07:08 AM
Guest 2223

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnPoulsen View Post
Hello
I have a Furch Red and the strings are set a little too high to my taste - is it possible to do this yourself? If so and good links to a guide for lowering the strings on a Furch with a CNR-neck system?
Definitely take it to a tech for a setup. My Furch has high action, which I prefer. The nut slots are a bit high which makes 1st fret bar chords difficult and I need to take it in for a setup, the problem is I don't want to be without the guitar!
Old 06-03-2022, 08:09 AM
Charter Member

When I do a setup on my guitars it's a sort of 3 way reconciliation between the neck relief, nut height and saddle height. You might want to just take it in to a tech.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 06-03-2022, 08:40 AM
Charter Member

There are many good references online to learn how to set up your guitar. IMO it's well worth the effort to learn. There are 3 parts to it: (1) the relief (the amount of curvature in the neck), (2) adjust the depth of the slots in the neck, which can make it easier to fret the strings near the nut, and (3) adjust the saddle to make the strings as low or high as you want. And you could add a 4th step of adjusting intonation, but I rarely find a need for that.

Search for acoustic guitar setup and you'll find a lot of good info. Charles Tauber has a nice summary here:
https://www.charlestauber.com/luthie...May%202015.pdf

Or Gerry Haze (hazeguitars.com) has some nice summaries for around $20. Lots of YT videos, etc.

Re the Furch, I agree with Aimelie, check to see if there is a shim under the saddle. There was on my Little Jane. Removing it made a big difference in playability. But as others have noted, learn the basics of a setup and how to measure relief and string height (action). You'll have a much better understanding of what makes your guitar easier to play and how to make it play like you want.

Last edited by KevinH; 06-03-2022 at 08:45 AM.
Old 06-03-2022, 03:38 PM
Charter Member

Yep. Check nut slots, neck relief, then saddle. If not comfortable doing that yourself, it's an easy job for a tech.

Feel free to post pix!

I'm new to furch but like mine that I bought as an experiment enough that I'm looking for another.
Old 06-03-2022, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnPoulsen View Post
Hello

Hi Finn, before modifying the saddle hight, I suggest you adjust/tighten the truss-rod a tiny bit. Take small steps maby 1 mm is sufficient. Good luck.
Old 06-03-2022, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapani View Post
There is probably a shim under the saddle. My Furch had also nut slots that were high, if that is the case, I'd recommend taking it to luthier for filing the nut slots.
Furch guitars do often seem to come with nut slots that are too high. But once set up by a good tech they are fabulous. I consider having a pro set up done on such a nice guitar.

(I had the unfortunate experience of buying one mail order from a shop that 'sets up' its guitars before they send them out, and they botched badly ie the B string nut slot way too low and buzzing, and the saddle wasn't done well either.)

I love Furch guitars but I wish they would try and match Taylor for consistent comfort and ease of play out of the box.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
furch