The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-25-2022, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
The Yamaha LL16-12 might be worth a look too.
Solid Spruce top
Solid Rosewood back & sides.
Good looking guitar too.

I used to have a LL16! Used it quite a bit before selling it. Good guitar but I don't think I'd like to replace my old one with a 12-string version.

But they're great guitars.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 04-25-2022, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrErikJ View Post
I used to have a LL16! Used it quite a bit before selling it. Good guitar but I don't think I'd like to replace my old one with a 12-string version.

But they're great guitars.
OK - I had a Maton 425 12-string some years back when I began a search for the 12-string sound in my head, traded it and had Maton build me a maple jumbo - big disappointment, a Taylor 355 killed the Maton, then a Guild F-412 made the Taylor sound too bright, then a Martin Grand J12-40E Special made them all sound thin ... I'll stop there.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 04-25-2022, 04:24 PM
Charter Member

Lightbulb

There’s two VERY nice used Taylor 90’s 12 strings here used on the forum. Both priced very fairly and well opened up. Keep in mind Taylor first came to light from their easy playing and great sounding 12ers, and this is from a well regarded era. And I wouldn’t worry about being “too” bright not with this vintage. In my opinion you couldn’t go wrong with either one! And there both great options with either a mahogany jumbo or a rosewood dread.. By the way I have nothing against Guilds or Yamahas or any other maker…
Lowden'87 L27FC Taylors’93 Kottke’94 910’82 855c(flor)Harp’19 Emerald Synergy (koa)’17 Doerr Solace select’12 Carmel OM ‘11 SCGC-FS Nylon:Sand,Cervantes.WeissSlide,Gypsy Elecs:Collings Eastside.Turners:RN6,RS6’59335Hist:Strat,Tele,Bass-Lakland,Fender Fretless.Amps:Princeton,Calif Blonde/xcab,Vox,Uke,Accordian,misc devices
Old 04-25-2022, 04:29 PM

I have a Taylor 362ce that I just love to play. Small body, 12-fret. Unusual for a 12 string to have those attributes, and it is the only Taylor guitar I have ever liked. And I like it a lot.
Old 04-25-2022, 04:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
OK - I had a Maton 425 12-string some years back when I began a search for the 12-string sound in my head, traded it and had Maton build me a maple jumbo - big disappointment, a Taylor 355 killed the Maton, then a Guild F-412 made the Taylor sound too bright, then a Martin Grand J12-40E Special made them all sound thin ... I'll stop there.

I’ll bet that J12-40E sounds fantastic. Some day I’ll play one. So good.
Old 04-25-2022, 05:14 PM
Charter Member

Location: The California Central Coast, in The Heart of the Chaparral!

Quote:
Hey Folks! I'm fingerstyle guy who's long had a Guild GAD-50 (almost 20yrs now) and my main guitar has been a Maton SRS808 most recently. I wanted to add a 12-string to the arsenal and keep it tuned down a half or whole step to add some variety to my composing. Since I've been mostly happy with these two, I figured I'd look at some Guild & Maton models and wasn't sure if ya'll had any experience with them:

Maton SRS70c 12: This seemed worth a try as I love my SRS808 and the value is really good. However, I can't find any reviews and the video demos seem good but again, no reviews and I'm not dying for another dread but not against it either

Guild F-1512: I mean, I like my old Guild and this is what they're known for. They seem nice, I just don't know how fingerstyle friendly they are and can't tell if they're "too" jangly or not.

Guild D-1212: Seems like a nice alternative to the F-1512, as it seems warmer in tone. I'm a little hesitant to have another dread but they seem cool

Wildcard: Taylor
I've tried to get into Taylors and bought a 514ce from Sweetwater to try out and it was very nice, but not "better" than my Maton and it was returned after a week or so. I think it's possible I might prefer another model and while they used to be known for 12s, they aren't making that many anymore. The 254 and 354 seem like decent models to dip into that world but don't want to go the Taylor price range if they're holistically not for me (it's difficult to find good Taylors to try in my area)
Check out the Eastman 330, a solid sapele, 17", jumbo, listed for about a grand! If I were returning to the 12 string, that's what I'd get....

Don
Old 04-25-2022, 06:05 PM

Help a Guy Find a 12-String

I'll keep it simple. Been playing 12 string guitars since the 60s, when even the manufacturers recommended tuning them down 2 semitones to 'D'.

I currently own 2 of the best I've ever heard and played:

'99 Taylor 355 Spruce over Sapele Jumbo
'16 Taylor 458e-R Spruce over Rosewood Grand Orchestra

Can't go wrong with either of these big bad boys.

The Grand Orchestra Rosewood is simply the best 12 string on the planet. The Grand Orchestra is what Taylor replaced the Jumbo with in their lineup. It's lightly built yet strong as an ox. Might also be the loudest out there too if that is a concern. They added some depth and a much wider waist for this upgrade from Jumbo to Grand Orchestra.

And the 355 is no slouch either, and I was in the market for a new 12 string for many years until I played that one. Followed me home, I swear it. Was my introduction to Taylor guitars.

Besides great sounding, both are very playable instruments. Out of habit, I still tune them down, but only to 'D#' this time around. Also the G7th Newport capo with the compensated string pad seems made with Taylor necks in mind. Has a sawtooth pad and requires NO re-tuning when applying or removing this capo out to about the 7th fret. (I don't use it any higher than that.) Easy enough to pop on the first fret to bring it up to standard tuning. Both have a 1+7/8" nut width too. (I keep a six string in 'D#' tuning. Just because.)

I fingerpick all my instruments, using my nails as picks.

And I don't plug in. That's what they make electric guitars for.

That's all folks.

Good luck and good hunting,

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo

Last edited by donlyn; 04-25-2022 at 06:26 PM.
Old 04-25-2022, 06:24 PM

I'll also suggest taking a long hard look at the Guild D-1212, for the money it's really tough to beat.
Great sound, nice playability, all Mahogany, dual truss rods, and it's a GUILD.
Old 04-25-2022, 09:00 PM
Charter Member

Default Morgan

I have a beautiful Morgan, which was in the AG Magazine auction, and remains in limbo...David Innacone luthier...great sounding 12 stringer.

Mark Hatcher Pina Parlor Torrified Maple/Cedar
Stephen Kinnaird 00 B&W Ebony/Engelmann Spruce
Simon Fay African Blackwood/Sinker Redwood
Wolfgang Jellinghaus Torres Modelo 43S Maple/Spruce
K Yairi CYTM Maple/Cedar
Old 04-25-2022, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lampson View Post
Check out the Eastman 330, a solid sapele, 17", jumbo, listed for about a grand! If I were returning to the 12 string, that's what I'd get....

Don
I just checked them out ... excellent suggestion.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 04-26-2022, 01:16 AM

My first 12 string was an Ovation Pacemaker and the only guitar I ever sold.

When I turned 50, I ordered a custom 12 string Larrivee (LV03 MT) with a mahogany top, back and sides, Venetian cutaway, bone nut/saddle and archtop case. I paid $1,000 for it and 17 years later, it has proven to be a great decision.
Versatile for finger picking, strumming, lead and even slide.

I played all the usual suspects when searching for the right guitar including Guild, Taylor, Martin, Alvarez, Yamaha but kept returning to the Larrivee.

Used Larrivee 12 strings often show up at reasonable prices but factor in the cost of a proper set up if you want to find a keeper.
Old 04-26-2022, 02:04 AM

I know it wasn't one of your listed guitars but a Breedlove 12-string may surprise you. Unless you have already tried and didn't like it.
Old 04-26-2022, 09:25 AM

This is probably the most popular thread I've ever posted lol.

It seems like Guild and Taylor are in a pretty dead heat as everyone's recommended 12-strings. I'm continuing my research and I'm leaning Taylor but my concern is if I get a Taylor I'll ALSO NEED a 6-string Taylor. lol
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

Old 04-26-2022, 10:21 AM

Quote:
This is probably the most popular thread I've ever posted lol.

It seems like Guild and Taylor are in a pretty dead heat as everyone's recommended 12-strings. I'm continuing my research and I'm leaning Taylor but my concern is if I get a Taylor I'll ALSO NEED a 6-string Taylor. lol
Since I own both brands of these 12 strings, I will simply say that they are rather different sounding guitars -- and I happen to like both. I doubt that there are more comfortable playing brands of 12 string than Taylor, and I doubt that there are more full sounding brands than Guild. However, those Eastmans look intriguing....

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.
Old 04-26-2022, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmoretti49 View Post
Since I own both brands of these 12 strings, I will simply say that they are rather different sounding guitars -- and I happen to like both. I doubt that there are more comfortable playing brands of 12 string than Taylor, and I doubt that there are more full sounding brands than Guild. However, those Eastmans look intriguing....
Eastman has a way of doing that.

"I was gonna get a Taylor/Guild/Martin/Gibson but that Eastman looks really nice and comes in a little under budget..."
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
12 string, fingerstyle