The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-18-2022, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
I think any acoustic 12-string would work for you. If you like Taylor 12-strings, they are certainly a good choice. I think the 12-fret, Taylor 562CE is an excellent choice and can be purchased used for about $1800-2200. Here is what's on Reverb right now.

Here is a list of new Taylor 12-strings at Sweetwater Sound, for example.

However, the Rickenbacker electric 360-12 guitar has the main string on the top side of each pair of strings and the octave (high) string on the lower side of the pair. Acoustic 12-strings, including Taylors, generally have the high octave string on the top side of each pair of strings. I prefer this arrangement, but some folks like the lower-pitched string on the top side in the Rickenbacker approach. If this is what you want, you can take your new 12-string to a capable guitar technician and have him make you a new nut to reverse the string positions to the Rickenbacker approach.

- Glenn

PS: If you are interested, I put together a video of Dylan's "My Back Pages" as done by the Byrds some time back where I used a Guild acoustic 12-string for the main rhythm and an electric Rickenbacker 360-12 for the solo part. This video allows you to hear the difference in sound between the guitars so you can decide what you like. Here is the video:

I really enjoyed [mention]Glennwillow [/mention]’s cover, thanks for sharing! Great vocal work on top of the 12 string action.

Thanks for all of the helpful food for thought everyone!

For what it’s worth, my Rickenbacker facsimile is strung in the conventional method (higher octave course of each pair is towards the bass side/upper horn). This would make sense considering the nut appears to be a replacement from a previous owner. [photo below, by the grace of Tapatalk hopefully]

Those Taylors that [mention]1after909 [/mention] mentioned are sharp looking, and a great price too! I was aware of those Rickenbacker acoustics that [mention]Ryan51 [/mention] brought up, but haven’t seen many for sale lately. One of my favorite darker-side-of folk musicians, Scott Conner, plays a lot of Guild 12’s, so those are on my radar as well. I’m encouraged to here that members (like [mention]6L6 [/mention] ) have had good experiences with them. Ovations and Seagulls are a little more common in the market around me, so I’ll run out and try the ones available in the coming weeks, per the suggestion of [mention]Wardo [/mention] and [mention]stormin1155 [/mention] .

Thanks as well to those I might not have mentioned!
Old 04-18-2022, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan51 View Post
Rickenbacker put out the 730L....
I had a 730/12L many years ago, one of the very last made, if not the last one, built in 2001. Very comfy feeling neck, for me, but I would not call the tone full sounding. Overall it sounded amazing but was a bit bass-shy, perhaps dues to it flame maple b&s.
Old 04-19-2022, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan51 View Post
Rickenbacker put out the 730L and 730S acoustic 12 strings up until about 10 years ago. The used prices on these are high so probably out of the budget. I would check out a Guild. They are known for their jumbos but they do make a not too expensive dreadnought 12 string.
I've got a 1512F Jumbo, nice guitar but it's got a pretty substantial neck.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 04-19-2022, 06:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
I think any acoustic 12-string would work for you. If you like Taylor 12-strings, they are certainly a good choice. I think the 12-fret, Taylor 562CE is an excellent choice and can be purchased used for about $1800-2200. Here is what's on Reverb right now.

Here is a list of new Taylor 12-strings at Sweetwater Sound, for example.

However, the Rickenbacker electric 360-12 guitar has the main string on the top side of each pair of strings and the octave (high) string on the lower side of the pair. Acoustic 12-strings, including Taylors, generally have the high octave string on the top side of each pair of strings. I prefer this arrangement, but some folks like the lower-pitched string on the top side in the Rickenbacker approach. If this is what you want, you can take your new 12-string to a capable guitar technician and have him make you a new nut to reverse the string positions to the Rickenbacker approach.

- Glenn

PS: If you are interested, I put together a video of Dylan's "My Back Pages" as done by the Byrds some time back where I used a Guild acoustic 12-string for the main rhythm and an electric Rickenbacker 360-12 for the solo part. This video allows you to hear the difference in sound between the guitars so you can decide what you like. Here is the video:

Enjoyed that video Glenn! And you just showed me that Dylan song I'd been thinking about learning...bonus! Thanks my friend and well done!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 04-19-2022, 07:41 AM

Which acoustic 12 strings play close to a vintage Rickenbacker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcochran4 View Post
I got lucky on this forum a few years ago when I was looking for suggestions on an acoustic 6 string, so I am asking for some guidance again:

I got on a serious Byrds kick last year and bought a facsimile of a vintage Rickenbacker 360 12 string, and I have loved it so far. It is a lot easier to play than my friend's more recent model Rickenbacker 360 12.

I'm starting to go to acoustic jams a lot more, and my 6 string Taylor DCSM has performed exceptionally, but I'd like to get an acoustic 12 string to play at the jams as well.

I'd love to read about some of your experiences with, and suggestions for, a full-sounding 12 string with a comfortable neck shape and string spacing that might be close to that of the vintage Rickenbacker? I should add that I prefer something dreadnaught shaped (not a big fan of jumbos) and possibly with a cutaway. I am partial to buying used, and my price range will be similar to that of what I spent on my Taylor Dan Crary 6 string (1500-2000$). I'm open to suggestions outside of that range as well.

Thank you!

dcochran4,

Seems like getting a new/used Rick may not be in the cards. For what it's worth, I find Taylor 12 strings easy to play, although I also tune them down a semitone to D#. However the neck is the thing, so trying one or two might be something to do, if only to see if you like the feel. Taylor does make a budget one in the 100 series, but 'budget' might be relative in these post-pandemic times. Used 355s might be worth searching for too, if only price-wise. But they are fine sounding instruments (I have one).

Not a recommendation from me, but many people like Takamines. Maybe worth checking one out, if only for the price.

There is also the issue of the reverse string job if you want that sound. As previously mentioned, a new nut should solve that if you want it.

Been playing 12 strings since the 60s. Personally I chose Taylors for newer models. Bought a 355 Jumbo brand new in '99 well within your budget (actually well under), and a used 458 Grand Orchestra a few years ago in the lower end of your budget. I like the Taylor necks and also the sound. I keep the 'normal' way of stringing one, if only because I fingerpick everything with my nails, and I love the sounds they make catching the octaves first. For my money, the rosewood Grand Orchestra Taylor 12 string can't be beat in playability, tone, and volume. Also true of the six string rosewood Grand Orchestra versions too.

Good luck and good hunting,

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo

Last edited by donlyn; 04-19-2022 at 03:20 PM.
Old 04-19-2022, 10:23 PM

I hate that I am going to type this, because I don't like them at all but...

Ovation.

They have a thin neck, and a tight radius. As a result, I find them pretty hard to fret cleanly.

Get an Ovation, even one of the older Korean made Celebrity models, and have someone cut a new nut with reversed string slots for it.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 04-20-2022, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcochran4 View Post
I got lucky on this forum a few years ago when I was looking for suggestions on an acoustic 6 string, so I am asking for some guidance again:

I got on a serious Byrds kick last year and bought a facsimile of a vintage Rickenbacker 360 12 string, and I have loved it so far. It is a lot easier to play than my friend's more recent model Rickenbacker 360 12.

I'm starting to go to acoustic jams a lot more, and my 6 string Taylor DCSM has performed exceptionally, but I'd like to get an acoustic 12 string to play at the jams as well.

I'd love to read about some of your experiences with, and suggestions for, a full-sounding 12 string with a comfortable neck shape and string spacing that might be close to that of the vintage Rickenbacker? I should add that I prefer something dreadnaught shaped (not a big fan of jumbos) and possibly with a cutaway. I am partial to buying used, and my price range will be similar to that of what I spent on my Taylor Dan Crary 6 string (1500-2000$). I'm open to suggestions outside of that range as well.

Thank you!
I'm assuming you're looking for a narrower neck in an acoustic 12-string. The suggestions of used Ovation 12-strings seem good for things one is likely to find in your price range. The ones I tried years back weren't the loudest low-end response played acoustically, but they cut a better than you might think unplugged.

Another compromise: have a "regular" acoustic guitar redone with a new nut and extra tuning machines. You don't even have to go a full 12-strings with dual courses on 6 string sets. There's the idea of just doubling the G string (Martin even made a McGuinn model setup that way) and Breezy Point/John Pearse sells a retrofit kit to do that double G string.

Another thought, considering the jamming thing with friends that's your focus: some of the larger instruments in the mandolin family. I'm not sure about costs for those, but again, one could re-do (or have someone re-do) the headstock, nut, and tuning machines -- taking a conventional guitar and turning it into let us say a "8 String" with four paired strings. Obviously, you wouldn't do this on a Pre-War Martin, but it'd be a fun project on an inexpensive guitar.

More left-field ideas: Bouzouki family of instruments. They've become part of some acoustic Celtic combos, and you get the narrow neck. They add a different flavor to rhythm playing.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 04-20-2022, 10:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
Enjoyed that video Glenn! And you just showed me that Dylan song I'd been thinking about learning...bonus! Thanks my friend and well done!
Hi Jim,

I'm glad my video could provide a little inspiration for you! Thank you for your feedback!

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
12 string, rickenbacker, roger mcguinn, twelve string