The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-19-2015, 07:58 AM

Default Godin Family Brand 12 String or What Else?

So I've been considering purchasing a 12 string lately. It will be mostly just to play children's/folk tunes for my son. That said I don't need to spend over $1000.
In this price range in wondering if I should be looking at a Godin brand guitar, or is there really anything under $1k of comparable quality? I've owned several Art and Lutherie guitars and I still have a Norman B18 and have truly enjoyed the tone and feel of them all (I have considered selling the Norman on several occasions, then I play it and can't bring myself to sell it because I'll never find a guitar with that tone for what I'd sell it for).
I recently played on a Seagull 12 and thought it sounded and played quite nice. Would the Norman or A&L be much different other than price? The others I've been considering are a guild or the Taylor 150. Just don't know if for the price different these will sound much better?
Love to hear your thoughts!
'07 Seagull Artist Studio Burst 12
'08 Norman Protege B18
'08 Rickenbacker 610
‘18 Gibson SG Special
Old 11-19-2015, 10:15 AM

I have a Seagull Artist Studio 12 that I would sell well in your price requirement. pm me if interested for pics and further info.

I noticed in your signature a Guild D25. There is an '80's model D25ch for sale locally. Is this an appropriate guitar for finger picking or is it more for flatpicking/strumming? Thanks...........Jack.
Old 11-19-2015, 10:29 AM

I had an Alvarez Artist-series jumbo 12-string that cost around $600 at the time that I got it. It would be my pick for any 12-string under $1000, though I am a fan of the Godin/LaSiDo family of companies.

I kept that Alvarez up until I got my dream 12-string, the Taylor LKSM-12. If you can find one, they're phenomenal bang for the buck. Extremely playable, sounded great.
Old 11-19-2015, 11:20 AM

Have you read this thread?
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=408424

Martin D-15M
Taylor 420 Maple
Alvarez MD80
Alvarez MD80/12
Old 11-19-2015, 12:16 PM

Thank you for all the responses!
jbell - What are you looking to get out of your Seagull (shoot me a private message if you wish)? Is it a natural or burst finish and does it have any issues?

I love my Guild. I won't say it is my favorite guitar for picking, but I won't say it is bad. I tend to lean to my Norman for that. The Norman does have silk/steel strings on it though which helps. The Guilds are very well built and sounds fantastic. I was actually in the market for a guitar about double the price and it fell into my lap and I loved the sound and feel.

MBE - I appreciate the idea, I will keep my eyes open for one to try! Stores are slim pickings up here though....

Fire&Rain - I did look at that forum, I have considered a Guild but want something a little more "crisp" I think. I am trying to keep it a North American built instrument.
'08 Norman Protege B18
'08 Rickenbacker 610
‘18 Gibson SG Special
Old 11-19-2015, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisStarlight View Post
...I have considered a Guild but want something a little more "crisp" I think. I am trying to keep it a North American built instrument.
Taylor 150e...
Old 11-19-2015, 04:01 PM

Steve- what makes the Taylor worth twice as much over the Godin brands in your opinion?
'08 Norman Protege B18
'08 Rickenbacker 610
‘18 Gibson SG Special
Old 11-19-2015, 04:57 PM

Godin brand 12s are very nice. But, many are made of cedar and cherry. Not my preference. If you are going for the John Denver sound, you might consider spruce and rosewood. In that case I would HIGHLY recommend the Yamaha LL16-12. It is an excellent guitar, all solid wood, for the money. It includes a passive pickup, torrefied top, and hard case for less than $1000. Give it a look. As far as play ability and stability, the Taylor 150 is excellent, and so is the HPL Martin. But, again, I prefer the solid Yamaha at this price point. I would still own it, if it were not for a mistaken trip to the guitar store and the test drive of a Taylor 856ce. But, that is a much higher price point. Given a "do-over", I would not sink that much money into a 12 string. I don't play it frequently enough now.
Old 11-19-2015, 05:04 PM

Thanks Dave! I'll have to give one a strum. I've had plenty of those moments with my electrics...an 80s ric for a 90s Gibson...I feel ya.
How'd you know I'm a John Denver fan?
I played a Taylor that was a b stock at my local store and while it was a great guitar nothing jumped out to make me feel it was better than the Seagull they had.
What would the big differences between a Guild and the Yamaha be?
'08 Norman Protege B18
'08 Rickenbacker 610
‘18 Gibson SG Special
Old 11-19-2015, 06:20 PM

HI Paris Starlight -- While I'm a fan of Godin and Taylor you should look here first - http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...3&postcount=34 - and maybe send a message if it's something you think you're interested in. Depending on your location of course.
2014 Taylor 150e
Old 11-19-2015, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisStarlight View Post
Thanks Dave! I'll have to give one a strum. I've had plenty of those moments with my electrics...an 80s ric for a 90s Gibson...I feel ya.
How'd you know I'm a John Denver fan?
I played a Taylor that was a b stock at my local store and while it was a great guitar nothing jumped out to make me feel it was better than the Seagull they had.
What would the big differences between a Guild and the Yamaha be?
I guessed on the John Denver bit, but you said folk songs to your children, so it was an educated guess. :-). We have that in common.

Regarding the guilds, they are the quintessential 60s and 70s 12 string. They have a big sound box, lots of volume, and scooped mids. Unfortunately, a good one runs $3k plus. But, I understand they have a few lower cost models.

I would stick to your price point and avoid playing the $3k 12 strings at the store. Its like showing your spouse a house you can't afford.

Cheers!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old 11-19-2015, 09:00 PM

Hi Paris, I have a Simon & Patrick Songsmith burst 12 string. They're about $430 CAD new. I bought mine used for considerably less. I imagine its tone is similar to the Seagull. It's a nice guitar and fun to play. An option for the Godin brand of acoustics.
Old 11-19-2015, 09:34 PM

I would much rather play Country Roads than The Wheels on the Bus any day.....

I will definitely be sticking to my budget....inside the walls of my house a $3k 12 string would not get it's due playing. Exactly part of why I got the Guild. It sounded amazing and the Gibson I wanted was $1800...my Guild was $700.

If I can find a Simon and Patrick I will surely check it out. I found a shops about 2.5 hours a away that carry A&L and one with Seagull so far...both shops I like. Even though I know the Yamaha guitars are great quality and sound amazing I feel drawn to the US or Canadian models...but I will play whatever is in the shop!
'08 Norman Protege B18
'08 Rickenbacker 610
‘18 Gibson SG Special
Old 11-20-2015, 01:50 AM

My first pick under $1000 would be a used Larrivee.

If buying new it would be one of Breedloves Korean Imports. Much nicer build and sound than the Taylor 150.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 11-20-2015, 04:04 AM

I don't think Taylor 150's are made in North America either, since you want to be patriotic.
There's always loads of good used 12's on eBay. Most are hardly played.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
12 string, art and lutherie, godin, guild, seagull