The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 09-03-2015, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hutton View Post
Definitely my cup of tea. I like you laid back style.

The guitar has lovely sound! Excuse my ignorance, what is it?
Thanks David, the guitar is a Cordoba Maple Fusion 14, it has a very sweet sound but may lack some bass and deepness when brand new. This is typically the kind of guitar which needs to be played a lot to open up, but this may be the case for most of the maple back and sides one.
Jackson US Soloist

Youtube - Reverbnation - Twitter - Facebook

Old 09-04-2015, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan Madsen View Post
Thanks David, the guitar is a Cordoba Maple Fusion 14, it has a very sweet sound but may lack some bass and deepness when brand new. This is typically the kind of guitar which needs to be played a lot to open up, but this may be the case for most of the maple back and sides one.
Thanks. I like it very much for the price. I could be tempted at what seems a fairly good price. I would like to try the 12 fret version and will have to investigate if anyone stocks them locally. As for the lack of bass, I have similar problems on my Yamaha SLG110N (It has no body). I find a heavier gauge string (Hard Tension Pro Arte strings) helps.
Old 09-04-2015, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hutton View Post
Thanks. I like it very much for the price. I could be tempted at what seems a fairly good price. I would like to try the 12 fret version and will have to investigate if anyone stocks them locally. As for the lack of bass, I have similar problems on my Yamaha SLG110N (It has no body). I find a heavier gauge string (Hard Tension Pro Arte strings) helps.
You're right, those are the strings I use, I guess the 12 fret should add some bass, it might be a good choice if you don't need the cutaway
Jackson US Soloist

Old 09-04-2015, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
I think it's a nice piece and I like the progression.

I'd love to hear this on a steel string guitar and played with more authority. Right now the playing is clean but a bit shy IMHO.

As Derek suggested, adding some variations up the neck would add some spice as well. Also watch your timing, especially when you play the progression in A major.
You're not the fisrt suggesting playing it on steel strings, but for any reason I liked the mellow but also fatter nylon string sound for this tune. I don't really understand what you mean with authority as it's not the kind of tune meant to be played with "authority", it's meant to be cool and relaxed. Concerning the A major theme, I guess you're thinking about this syncope on the C sharp -7 chord, but this is intentional! But a few people told me the same thing as you, that it sounded like a mistake or something, maybe because I'm quiting the alternate bass scheme at that particular moment ?
Jackson US Soloist

Old 09-06-2015, 04:46 PM

Quote:
You're not the fisrt suggesting playing it on steel strings, but for any reason I liked the mellow but also fatter nylon string sound for this tune. I don't really understand what you mean with authority as it's not the kind of tune meant to be played with "authority", it's meant to be cool and relaxed. Concerning the A major theme, I guess you're thinking about this syncope on the C sharp -7 chord, but this is intentional! But a few people told me the same thing as you, that it sounded like a mistake or something, maybe because I'm quiting the alternate bass scheme at that particular moment ?
I think when you ask for people's opinion on this forum you will likely get some feedback that you agree with and other comments which you may think is irrelevant. In the end, if you're happy with your performance, that's all that matters.

It's a very nice tune for sure and my feedback may have been influenced by the title of your thread as I expected more "rag" than "cool".

Lastly, the only part that is not subjective is the timing issue I mentioned. I get what you're trying to do -- but it's not tight. I'm only being knit-picky here since you asked for opinions. Normally I would've just given you a pat on the back and moved on.
Old 09-09-2015, 06:18 PM

Quote:
I think when you ask for people's opinion on this forum you will likely get some feedback that you agree with and other comments which you may think is irrelevant. In the end, if you're happy with your performance, that's all that matters.

It's a very nice tune for sure and my feedback may have been influenced by the title of your thread as I expected more "rag" than "cool".

Lastly, the only part that is not subjective is the timing issue I mentioned. I get what you're trying to do -- but it's not tight. I'm only being knit-picky here since you asked for opinions. Normally I would've just given you a pat on the back and moved on.
Maybe "rag" ain't the best word for describing this music you're right, I just use this term when it comes to alternate basses. Where I really messed up, and this was not voluntary, is at 1.33. Anyway thanks for your comment
Jackson US Soloist

Last edited by Johan Madsen; 09-09-2015 at 06:26 PM.
Old 09-11-2015, 01:02 AM

Quote:

So you're the guy with that beautiful Olson on AGF home page? Gorgeous guitar
Jackson US Soloist

Old 09-11-2015, 02:46 AM

I like it.
Old 09-11-2015, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftArm View Post
I like it.
Thanks left arm, glad that you liked it!
Jackson US Soloist

Old 09-11-2015, 05:12 PM

Quote:
So you're the guy with that beautiful Olson on AGF home page? Gorgeous guitar
Thank you.

Drop by the custom shop when you have time. There's lots of interesting threads over there as well.
Old 09-12-2015, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Thank you.

Drop by the custom shop when you have time. There's lots of interesting threads over there as well.
I will take a look, but this will fuel my GAS haha
Jackson US Soloist

Old 09-13-2015, 09:42 AM

I love these little rags, so much fun to play. Sonded really warm and clear, which good maple normally delivers. Very good feel mate.

Would love to hear this also with the Furch, any chance of doing a comparisement ?
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 09-13-2015, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GibbyPrague View Post
I love these little rags, so much fun to play. Sonded really warm and clear, which good maple normally delivers. Very good feel mate.

Would love to hear this also with the Furch, any chance of doing a comparisement ?
Thanks Gibby, I will do some video with the Furch soon, but I have filed the saddle slightly too much so it buzzes pretty much right now, not sure I'll do the same song again but I will post with the Furch soon, more kind of strumming/lead style
Jackson US Soloist

Old 09-13-2015, 03:19 PM

Enjoyed this song Johan, it's relaxing to listen to and sounds like fun to play. I like the nylon sound...it's making me want one I think it'd be interesting to hear it with steel string also for more sustained notes behind the melody.

My YouTube Channel
Old 09-13-2015, 08:56 PM

Thanks Dgibs, you're right it's pretty cool and relaxing to play, I love those slow swing kind of feel. Nylon and steel are complementary, I love steel for its projection, power and accuracy, for intense strumming and lead, but for any reason I pretty like nylon when it comes to fingerstyle. I'll probably record a steel version of this tune, but right now I work on some more strummed/lead stuff with pick, on my Furch, I'll try to make a video next week. Haven't played my Furch during the holiday I miss it a lot
Jackson US Soloist

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Tags
composition, fingerstyle, guitar