The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-07-2013, 08:11 AM

Default Gibson J-45 True Vintage

I walked into Guitar Center here in Austin yesterday. They had just received two new boxes of unopened J-45 TV's. Well.... to say the least, I had to play them.

Like the other TV's that are out, the guitar came with the new TKL brown airtight case. Opening the guitar up I was surprised to see so much case candy and a ready to apply pickguard. Anyway, both guitars looked beautiful out of the box. The first thing you notice is how good they look without the pickguard and how amazingly light these critters are. I'm talking seriously light. But the whole reason I decided to write about this experience is the sound/tone that came out of them. Both of them had a tone that was as different as night and day and very loud. One had a very light airy sound that was crisp and extremely articulate. It had it all lows, mids and the highs. Granted the low was not boomy (I know its not a real word) but it matched the entire tone and sound coming from this guitar. A pickers dream. The second one was a pile driver and this one was boomy with lots of mids and not so much highs but yet enough to compliment it's over all tone. It truly was a monster rhythm guitar.

The guitars were only a couple of serial numbers a part but I was amazed at the different tonal quality's that each guitar had. I have A/B many guitars and a lot of them sounded similar in nature. But not these two. I think this makes for a great case that you really need to try out different guitars even though it's the same style of guitar, to find that tone and sound your looking for. Both are great guitars. I think Gibson knocked it out of the park on the J-45 TV. BTW, I wasn't in the market at all for another guitar but I did pick one of these babies up. Going into the studio and trying this puppy out real soon.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:15 AM

Yup, that Gibson slope "bark" is a wonderful sound & the TVs are so light & responsive. My "New Vintage" Southern Jumbo is the same.

2018 Hinde custom 2 point Mandolin
2016 Kentucky KM-950 Mandolin
2016 Waterloo WL14 XTR "Tuxedo"
2015 Larrivee All-Hog 000-03 "Vintage"
2014 Ken Miller short scale slope dread
2011 Gibson "New Vintage" Southern Jumbo
2008 Fender Telecaster
Old 09-07-2013, 08:16 AM
Charter Member

So which one of those two did you select?

Yes, Gibsons vary a lot because they are mostly handmade... More so than with other brands.

Please post pics!

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 09-07-2013, 08:21 AM

I chose the light and airy one. I have other guitars that fit into that pile driver category. I also felt this one would be a perfect recording guitar. If I want that massive train get out of my way sound I use the Collings. I actually went home and grabbed the Collings and A/B'd all three guitars before making my decision.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:26 AM
Guest316

Good post. Your experience is not only an indicator of the fact that you need to "try out different guitars", but it's also a positive reflection on Gibson. "Hand Made" guitars have different personalities from instrument to instrument, and I think your experience extends to all Gibsons coming off the line in Bozeman in addition to the J-45 True Vintage.

I put the phrase "Hand Made" in quotes because we all know there's a lot of machines in Bozeman lol

Quote:
BTW, I wasn't in the market at all for another guitar but I did pick one of these babies up.
Congratulations! We're looking forward to the pictures!
Old 09-07-2013, 08:34 AM

Congrats on the new Gibson! Also, thanks for sharing your experience about A/Bing two guitars of the same model that just came out of the box that were close in serial number. It does speak about the variations in tone between guitars in the same model.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:27 PM

Default Gibson J-45 True Vintage

Congrats on your new guitar! I've been itching to try another J-45 TV, it's been a while. I just hope I don't become unhappy about my standard haha.

I got my Gibson at the GC in Austin, the one close to Lakeline mall. They have great service there.

And others..

"When playing, 10 or 10,000, leave them loving what you do & wanting more."

"Rough tough! Real stuff! Texas A&M!"
Old 09-07-2013, 03:29 PM
Charter Member

You can't have just one. Ya need a workhorse, and you need the magical soul soothing TV...

Great post.
Old 09-07-2013, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin,texas View Post
BTW, I wasn't in the market at all for another guitar but I did pick one of these babies up. Going into the studio and trying this puppy out real soon.
"I'm just going to by strings... I'm just going to buy strings... I'm just going to look in the acoustic room..."
Old 09-07-2013, 06:43 PM
Guest316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisharm View Post
"I'm just going to by strings... I'm just going to buy strings... I'm just going to look in the acoustic room..."
↑↑↑↑↑ Hahahahahaha!! ↑↑↑↑↑ ♪♫
Old 09-07-2013, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisharm View Post
LOL,that about sums it up. I went to buy some picks. AHHH those evil picks strike again.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:34 PM

It's a good guitar and the only one I own and need. So gibson doesn't stick the pick guards anymore? I wonder if it has something to do with the pick guard being in the "wrong" place.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
gibson j-45, true vintage