The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-30-2020, 12:24 PM
Charter Member

Default What's the deal with inlay stickers???

I imagine such a thread topic might elicit the same visceral reactions as Zager guitars, Tonerite, factory reliced Fender guitars and artificially aged jeans. However, I recently got a Rainsongsong APLE which has no fretboard markings, was thinking of getting/applying white pearl inlay stickers and wanted to get some opinions before spending my money or doing something rash. Let the flames begin...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 05-30-2020, 12:39 PM

If that’s what you want to do then go for it. Personally I would welcome a plain fretboard (as long as there were dots on the side of the neck). In fact, my Ibanez Musician fretless has no markings on the fingerboard (nearly wrote fretboard out of habit...!) and it looks very elegant.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 05-30-2020, 12:43 PM

Hey RP, I've looked into it and based on the comments I read players don't even feel them. I thought about buying some just to try out and put on one of my less expensive guitars. More of an experiment than anything else.
Old 05-30-2020, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
I imagine such a thread topic might elicit the same visceral reactions as Zager guitars, Tonerite, factory reliced Fender guitars and artificially aged jeans. However, I recently got a Rainsongsong APLE which has no fretboard markings, was thinking of getting/applying white pearl inlay stickers and wanted to get some opinions before spending my money or doing something rash. Let the flames begin...
It’s not like yer putting a hello kitty sticker on there ;-0

If it’s functional for you, and what you buy looks okay aesthetically for ya, I say have at it.

I gather you under estimated how much you rely on fret board markers? Is this a functional or aesthetic move?

Best part is, they can come off as easily as they went on....especially with RainSong’s fretboard material...no fear of damage etc...
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 05-30-2020, 01:19 PM

I've used them to fortify the side dots of my CH-OM. I put two coats of nitro nail polish on them to keep them from falling off on their own. I used a template (tape with a hole punched in it) to make the nail polish a perfect circle. It all came off with nail polish remover when I recently sold the guitar.

IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 05-30-2020, 02:05 PM

I added US made inlay decals once on a Godin electric which had a Richlite fretboard. Stayed on and didn't feel them while playing. I actually thought it made the guitar look better... Easy to remove too, if and when you want to sell the guitar.
Old 05-30-2020, 02:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbone View Post
It’s not like yer putting a hello kitty sticker on there ;-0
They have those???

Quote:
... Is this a functional or aesthetic move?
Both...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 05-30-2020, 02:58 PM

the "deal" is some people like them and some don't. I have used them a couple of times on guitars and was satisfied with them.
Old 05-30-2020, 03:27 PM

How durable they are may depend on your actual use. I used side dot decals just like jonfields on my Composite Acoustics GX (also carbon fiber) since the original side dots were tiny, dim and tend to vanish in low light.

I did not use any coating over them, however, and after a few months of my thumb running over them from playing and just grabbing the neck, they tend to wear off. I just reapply another set on occasion.

Maybe the decals don't adhere as well to the poly finish as they would to your fretboard, but it makes me a little wary of the longevity of fingerboard decals.
Old 05-30-2020, 04:33 PM

What's wrong with old-fashioned textacolour?
Cole Clark Angel 3, Huon Pine & silkwood.
Cole Clark Fat Lady 2 12-string, Bunya & Blackwood.
Old 05-30-2020, 05:56 PM

RP, I've never used any on my guitars, but I have played a couple of other people's instruments that had them and could barely feel them under my fingers.

Obviously, they're not a permanent addition to the instrument, and after a while you can start to tell which frets the owner plays on the most by the wear patterns that evolve. After a few years they can get worn down and do get kind of grungy-looking. But they're easily removed and replaced, so that really isn't even a concern.

Some of them look quite nicely, honestly, and Lord knows they're affordable. So if they interest you, by all means try some. If you do, please return to this thread and show us what you got.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 05-30-2020, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Have ya considered having a luthier you trust install some permanent real deal fret board markers? I have zero concept of what that would cost, but surely it could be done without too much of an issue?

Depending on how important of an issue this for you, I suppose this could be another direction to go.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 05-30-2020, 06:19 PM

I've used their side markers a couple of times on instruments, and just recently applied one abalone dot on a fretboard of a dulcimer to match actual inlays (they didn't put one on a fret I normally have one at), and it matches perfectly. Can't tell that one is a sticker. I've been happy in every case that I've used them.
Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!
Love my mountain dulcimers too! (7 Mountain Dulcimers)

Old 05-30-2020, 06:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I recently got a Rainsongsong APLE which has no fretboard markings, was thinking of getting/applying white pearl inlay stickers and wanted to get some opinions before spending my money or doing something rash. Let the flames begin...
I'm not going to flame you for asking about stickers but I'm wondering why you're still looking at the fretboard when you play. The side dots should be enough for an experienced player.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 05-30-2020, 06:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Have ya considered having a luthier you trust install some permanent real deal fret board markers? I have zero concept of what that would cost, but surely it could be done without too much of an issue?

Depending on how important of an issue this for you, I suppose this could be another direction to go.
I hadn't and wouldn't consider that. It's about $10 important to me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
...I'm wondering why you're still looking at the fretboard when you play. The side dots should be enough for an experienced player.
I previously said that my reason for doing this was both functional and aesthetic, but it's mostly an aesthetic desire...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Plus it doesn’t really matter why anyone might want to use inlay stickers - talk about a minor and easily reversible personal choice. Honestly, who cares?

whm
Yeh, there is that....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 11-20-2021 at 07:05 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion