The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-30-2020, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemonk View Post
I have had a Wolfram Precision Crystal file for at least a couple of years. It has been an essential tool ever since. How does the Crystal² differ from the original version?
I'm bumping my question and hope someone has the answer.
Old 05-30-2020, 10:51 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemonk View Post
I'm bumping my question and hope someone has the answer.
Hi Bluemonk,

The main differences with our new Precision : Crystal2 files are to the package - the files now come with a cushioned hard plastic protective case, rather than the old velvet sleeve, and Tony McManus (who endorses Precision : Crystal2) has written a fantastic guide on nail shaping and technique for tone which now accompanies the files.

We've also eliminated single-use plastics from our package (I was concerned at the environmental impact of the disposable plastic and foam used previously: it worked well to prevent damage during the rigours of international shipping, but our new solution implementing the cushioning in the new reusable protective cases is much better).

Aside from that, the standard full-size files are basically the same. The new Pro files have a refined coarse side that's much more consistent and works even better than previously, and a new red silk-screen print to quickly identify the fine and coarse sides. The new pocket-sized nano file follows the pattern of our standard file (slightly thinner at 2mm with the fine surface on both sides, rather than one fine, one coarse).

All files are still made by hand in the same small glasswork shop in the Czech Republic, to the highest quality we know how!

Cheers,
David

Perfecting the interface between you and your guitar.
wolframslides.com
Endorsed by Martin Simpson and Tony McManus.
Old 05-30-2020, 11:07 AM
Charter Member

As a result of seeing this thread, I just purchased 4 of the Pro version file and David sent me a nice email on that purchase. Nice to support the people who support us in our guitar pursuits.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 05-30-2020, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfram View Post
Hi Bluemonk,

The main differences with our new Precision : Crystal2 files are to the package - the files now come with a cushioned hard plastic protective case, rather than the old velvet sleeve, and Tony McManus (who endorses Precision : Crystal2) has written a fantastic guide on nail shaping and technique for tone which now accompanies the files.

We've also eliminated single-use plastics from our package (I was concerned at the environmental impact of the disposable plastic and foam used previously: it worked well to prevent damage during the rigours of international shipping, but our new solution implementing the cushioning in the new reusable protective cases is much better).

Aside from that, the standard full-size files are basically the same. The new Pro files have a refined coarse side that's much more consistent and works even better than previously, and a new red silk-screen print to quickly identify the fine and coarse sides. The new pocket-sized nano file follows the pattern of our standard file (slightly thinner at 2mm with the fine surface on both sides, rather than one fine, one coarse).

All files are still made by hand in the same small glasswork shop in the Czech Republic, to the highest quality we know how!

Cheers,
David
Thank you David. I can barely imagine the original file being improved, but I may just have to test the waters.
Old 05-30-2020, 12:17 PM

I use a very rough nail file to rough shape or reshape nails so the rough side Wolfram is a good idea. I use the original Wolfram for daily maintenance but a 3 grit buffer after that. The Wolfram doesnt do buffing adequately. It certainly has simplified my nail maintenance protocol and Im glad I have it. No doubt Ill get a Pro and see how my nail maintenance morphs, or not. Thank you David for a good product.
Old 05-30-2020, 01:32 PM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks for posting your review. This is the kind of thing AGF Sponsors live for. I've known David for a number of years now, and he always does such beautiful work and gets such rave reviews.

Thanks Again,
Scott Memmer
Old 05-30-2020, 01:45 PM
Charter Member

I'm so glad other folks have chimed in w/ their positive experiences, for me the Wolfram file was a huge upgrade for all my guitars playability, for (roughly) $20.

Such a deal!
Old 05-30-2020, 02:13 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenT View Post
I'm so glad other folks have chimed in w/ their positive experiences, for me the Wolfram file was a huge upgrade for all my guitars playability, for (roughly) $20.

Such a deal!
Thanks Stephen for the review - I really appreciate it. And thanks to everyone for sharing their great experiences with Precision : Crystal - we work hard to design and make our products to the highest quality, and it's always fantastic to hear when they're performing well 'in the field'!

Cheers,
David

Perfecting the interface between you and your guitar.
wolframslides.com
Endorsed by Martin Simpson and Tony McManus.
Old 05-30-2020, 02:30 PM

So there's a new Pro file (see what I did there?) that has a coarse side? I purchased one of what I guess is the standard files a few years back. I barely use it anymore, maybe just before a final buff/strop only. I felt as though the file was getting clogged, even though I clip first. Each time, I had to clean it in warm water with a soapy toothbrush, rinse, blot, and allow to dry.Too much hassle. I now use a diamond-dust coated metal file.
Old 05-30-2020, 05:31 PM

You are all such a bunch of enablers.... Just ordered a Pro.
Old 05-30-2020, 06:20 PM

Another happy customer here. These files have made a huge difference to me over the file I was using previously.

Only thing to be aware of is that as they are glass they break easily so be careful not to drop!
I dropped mine in the sink as I was filing and it was history. Happily bought 2 replacements.

I also like to buy directly from the vendor and support a small business making a superior product.
Old 06-22-2020, 02:07 PM

This thread caused me to finally pull the trigger after being aware of Wolfram files for a couple of years. Adding the coarse side and the carry case tipped us over into "buy it now". I love this file! They really are "all that and a bag of chips" as the kids say. It cuts faster than expected based on the perceived roughness of the surface, and still leaves a very smooth and quieter nail. Now the metal files are relegated to certain guitar cases as part of my emergency nail repair kit (sandpaper, clippers, Super Glue, reinforcing material).

We ordered three -- one for each place that a metal file currently lives -- plus an extra for my wife, so I could keep mine. One of the three showed up broken inside the case and package, but an email to David easily fixed that and a replacement is currently on its way.
Old 06-22-2020, 02:43 PM

I have a Wolfram Crystal Pro, and I'll give my thoughts on it. It is a fine file, and you can't really go wrong with it. But there are a couple little things I want to mention.

I'm in Canada, and it I think there might be better value if you are on a budget. I can't recall how much it cost to get it here, but I remember humming and hawing because of the total delivered price. In the end it was a Christmas or birthday present. Edit, I found the order, from 2016, and it came to $30CAD including shipping.

I have had some cheap Chinese glass files, and the quality is poor. Not recommended.

I also have some medium-high quality Czech files that are pretty much on par with the Wolfram, but were cheaper and came as a set of 3 different sizes. The largest can be very handy sometime, allowing me to get a consistent angle for all three nails at once. It also is easier to have the skin touching the file, if I want, which seems to be an aid sometimes. Of all my files it is my favorite. The smallest I don't use but would be good to pack or keep in the car. Also, they have a rounded end which I much prefer.

I find the pointed end of the Wolfram less than useless. I would not recommend using it for cleaning under your nails, it is way too thick. As I look at the point of mine now, I can see it has slightly chipped, no doubt from improper handling (I don't store it in its sleeve, I keep it in a cup with my pens, and it probably chipped from that). I have poked myself with it, which isn't too bad as it's not that sharp, but it also removes useful real estate from the file, which is not that big.

I am not one to file every day, but I tend to use the rough side more than the smooth side, so I would recommend the Pro (which has 2 different coarsenesses (is that a word?)). I seem to recall the coarse side being more for artificial nails, but I use it on my regular nails for rough shaping.

The owner seems like a nice and responsible fellow.

Finally, I'm not sure about that opening graphic on the website with the wavy reflection of the file, it kind of freaked me out as I thought it was real.

Last edited by mc1; 06-22-2020 at 02:59 PM.
Old 06-22-2020, 03:08 PM
Charter Member

I recently purchased one and love it. Fantastic product.
Old 06-22-2020, 03:11 PM

I just tried to order one from the website, but the paypal said it wouln't complete transaction. Anybody else having that issue?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion