The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-29-2020, 03:08 PM
Charter Member

Default Wolfram Precision Crystal² Nail File - Short Review

I didn't expect much when it ordered the "Wolfram Precision : Crystal², a fine guitarist's Nail file", but I figured I'd give it a try, i think it was under $20 w/ shipping from the UK.

Well, I'm more than pleasantly surprised at the results, both the ease of playing and the sound improvements. My nails glide off the string, the superior finished nail edge gives me a smoother and more consistent attack, and the tone and volume is more consistent across the strings.

From the site: "The tone-boosting tool you never knew you needed."

If you play w/ flesh and nail, I'd recommend taking a look, I'm impressed w/ the results. The difference between it and a regular nail file is remarkable, it's like a sledgehammer compared to the Wolfram Precision Crystal². Comes in a nice case w/ instructions, nicely packaged.

https://www.wolframslides.com/precision_crystal.php

Old 05-29-2020, 03:17 PM

IMO you can't have enough of these. Great product and nice review. I just bought my 3rd as a backup to the first 2.

Mrbirdog
Old 05-29-2020, 03:17 PM

I'm sure they are good but I bought a generic crystal nail file for $10 and it works fine for me.
Old 05-29-2020, 03:59 PM

I have one and they're great. I've historically tried cheaper glass/crystal nail files and they've worn out in months. Have had this for about 6 months now and no sign of drop in performance
Old 05-29-2020, 04:07 PM
Charter Member

I did buy a Czech glass file for my wife for $10 and I can tell the difference from the Wolfram. I wouldn't be surprised if the Wolfram and the $10 unit I bought from Amazon were from the same Czech company, just different specs.

I don't mind giving the bucks to a small biz owner like Wolfram. David Browne (Wolfram) certainly made the sale more personal than the Amazon purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
I'm sure they are good but I bought a generic crystal nail file for $10 and it works fine for me.
Old 05-29-2020, 04:23 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

I love these wolfram nail files. I have 3. And the owner (I'm not remembering his name) is very helpful.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 05-29-2020, 05:31 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the post. I've been meaning to give it a go. Just submitted my order.
Old 05-29-2020, 05:40 PM
Charter Member

This seems like such a silly thread, but I have 2 pros and a small travel version. I bought my first one after reading a review on AGF and thought well I buy everything else I read about on AGF , why not give it a try. They are terrific. I’m glad I have them.
Old 05-29-2020, 07:17 PM

I have had a Wolfram Precision Crystal file for at least a couple of years. It has been an essential tool ever since. How does the Crystal² differ from the original version?
Old 05-29-2020, 08:33 PM
Charter Member

I recently purchased one as well and feel my nails are stronger (especially my weak index fingernail), due to filing vs clipping them.
Old 05-30-2020, 02:07 AM

Default Great product.

I’ve had a couple of these from when they first came out; both still work perfectly. Used for general filing, they file quickly, leaving a relatively smooth finish. For the best tone, particularly when playing nylon strings I finish with a 3-way buffing block. These will polish the contact point of the nail to a glass like shine in just a few seconds.
Old 05-30-2020, 07:35 AM

Never, ever ceases to amaze me that people will drop thousands on a guitar and then quibble over something as essential as a nail file (same applies to strings).

Wolfram changed my guitar-playing life; turned a horrible chore into somethign I actuallly enjoy. I've had mine for years, still going strong.

Cheapo drug-strore alternatives are not equivalent IMHO. nOt at all.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 05-30-2020, 07:55 AM

Excellent product. I have two and use them all the time.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 05-30-2020, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
Never, ever ceases to amaze me that people will drop thousands on a guitar and then quibble over something as essential as a nail file (same applies to strings).

Wolfram changed my guitar-playing life; turned a horrible chore into somethign I actuallly enjoy. I've had mine for years, still going strong.

Cheapo drug-strore alternatives are not equivalent IMHO. nOt at all.

Cheers,
Steve
My semi-cheapo works great and I enjoy mine. Not saying the Wolfram's aren't good but mine does everything I need. No sense paying more if I don't need to. However if the cheaper glass ones don't do it for you, by all means spend the little bit extra for one that does.
Old 05-30-2020, 10:29 AM
Charter Member

Have owned and used the Wolfram file for 3+ years, and I do like it a lot.... took a while to get used to the "the harder you press, the more is taken off" aspect of the file, but it really is a precision tool that gives me much greater control over the edge of my nails.

I still use Micro-Mesh to finish the process, but the Wolfram file is intrinsic to my "pre-playing" preparation...

Not for those who tend to misuse small items, however... the glass will break, I'm guessing...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion