The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-25-2020, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docwatsonfan View Post
a US nickel is about .075 thick

" normal " Martin factory action is around 3/32 ( .093) low E at the 12th

so if the nickel can't slide under neath it would be pretty low.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC5C View Post
A US penny's edge thickness is just under .0625" and a quarter's thickness is just over .0625" (1/16"), so use those coins to judge your action height at the 12'th fret. Slide the coin between the string and the fret. Martin spec is just over 1/16" for the high E at the 12th fret and a little higher for the low E. (actually 7/64ths on the low E string and 5/64ths' on the high e string). People who "hit it hard" usually need higher action than that.
I don't live in USA but I used my country's coin which is listed 1.9mm. It mutes the high E string at the 12th fret for sure. And it barely slides in at the low E. Not sure what this means.
Old 05-25-2020, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fts06 View Post
My new Martin d18 has just arrived and I feel like notes are buzzing when I hit it a little hard. What is the best way to know if it's lower than it should be?

Also is there a way to identify the gauge of strings on it? Seller said it's 12's on it but Martin factory strings are 13s. And the guy didn't know a lot about acoustic guitars. So I'm confused about what gauge string should I put on it.
Before I would try to do anything, you need to make sure the guitar is properly humidified 35% to 45% RH and if you don't have a hydrometer you need to get one. Learning to read your guitar for proper humidity is to your advantage and it will prolong the life of guitar.

Bob Taylor from Taylor guitars has some good videos on the net pertaining to this subject. There are tips you can learn on how to check and proper steps to take when diagnosing if in fact something needs to be adjusted. As far as 13 vs 12 gauge strings if the guitar is set up correctly and humidified that just ends up being a small turn on the truss rod.

The best advice I can offer you is to educate yourself on proper care and maintenance and learning how to check your guitar before you ever try to work on it. The last thing you ever what to say when it comes to working on your guitar is "OOPS"
Old 05-25-2020, 11:50 AM

Quote:
I don't live in USA but I used my country's coin which is listed 1.9mm. It mutes the high E string at the 12th fret for sure. And it barely slides in at the low E. Not sure what this means.
It means that it's time for originator of this thread to purchase a string action gauge.

They're not expensive.
Old 05-25-2020, 12:48 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
I'm trying to measure the action at 12th fret with a tape measure but it's difficult with it. Any advice on measuring it the right way?
This link will walk you thru the basics...
http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/r...tar/action.php

Old 05-25-2020, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflehead View Post
It means that it's time for originator of this thread to purchase a string action gauge.

They're not expensive.
Yes, I should do it, thanks
Old 05-25-2020, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentKooper View Post
Take it in to a reliable repair shop and get a good set up for the string gauge you prefer.
Yes I should do it. I think the saddle needs to be replaced in order to raise action. Do I need to buy Martin's original saddle? Is it a thing?
Old 05-25-2020, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Yes I should do it. I think the saddle needs to be replaced in order to raise action. Do I need to buy Martin's original saddle? Is it a thing?
If you just buy a saddle it might not fix the problem. The neck might need to be reset.
Old 05-25-2020, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmey View Post
If you just buy a saddle it might not fix the problem. The neck might need to be reset.
Yes, but I'd never do it myself. I'll get it to a luthier or simply where I bought it from and ask for a better setup. What I worry is, will they have a saddle as good as the original on the guitar? Or do saddles even matter that much?
Old 05-25-2020, 07:29 PM

If you can post a picture of your saddle this will help in seeing if the saddle is to low or if there is something else going on
Old 05-25-2020, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridgepin View Post
If you can post a picture of your saddle this will help in seeing if the saddle is to low or if there is something else going on
https://imgur.com/a/Yjf48hG hope these work
Old 05-25-2020, 09:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmey View Post
Wait what? A neck re-set, a new saddle? The guitar is simply buzzing from playing too hard which is what is supposed to happen.

1 a new guitar needs to adjust to its new humidity.
2 before you do anything, decide what strings you will use. A D18 comes new from Martin with mediums, but there’s no reason you can’t use lights.
3 the nut slot depth and relief will be slightly different for mediums or lights.
4. Since you are not certain the issue, you should use a professional tech. He or she will set the relief, nut slots and action. If the guitar is set up well and still buzzes then your playing style will require higher action.
Old 05-25-2020, 09:58 PM

First, check that you are tuned to standard pitch (A = 440Hz).

IF NO: If you are tuned to less than standard pitch, tune it up to standard. Test again.

IF YES: Tune it up one more semitone - take the E string up to F, and so on. This will very roughly approximate the tension and feel the instrument will have with strings one gauge heavier.

This is not your answer, of course, but it will provide you with useful information to help you work towards an answer.

Also, think about how hard you are hitting the strings. Some players hit the strings very hard, some players barely touch them. There is no right or wrong here, you just need to adjust your setup (notably your string gauge) so that it suits your playing style. Or, of course, adjust your playing style to suit your setup. Your choice.
Old 05-25-2020, 10:20 PM

Here are a few photos to look at and if you can take the same photo of your guitar using a straight edge.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...GDSQPL_P0V62g5

note the gap that is at the end of the straight edge this should be equal on both sides holding the straight edge level about a 1/4 gap

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...1UY-I0uscuUujk

Next place the straight edge on top of the guitar along the sound hole.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...-b5WmMoDPxfe8E

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...tzqEosAogosxHV

Notice that the guitar top doesn't sink in at the sound hole and the straight
edge is in contact with the top from the neck to the bridge.

Place the straight edge on the fret board like this and slide it down to the bridge

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...9uVFK4rgGoPzli

Now keeping the straight edge flat on the fretboard when you slide it down to the bridge this is how it should look.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...dRogCjmtaXd5Nn

Now take a picture of the string height at the 12th fret

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...h4Ah2sK19zLIGS

Lets start with these photos and we will go from there.

Last edited by Bridgepin; 05-25-2020 at 10:27 PM.
Old 05-25-2020, 10:23 PM

Your saddle is fine and you have good string break angle over the saddle
Old 05-25-2020, 11:13 PM

Default My new Martin's action too low?

Post deleted.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion