The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-25-2020, 09:18 AM

Default My new Martin's action too low?

My new Martin d18 has just arrived and I feel like notes are buzzing when I hit it a little hard. What is the best way to know if it's lower than it should be?

Also is there a way to identify the gauge of strings on it? Seller said it's 12's on it but Martin factory strings are 13s. And the guy didn't know a lot about acoustic guitars. So I'm confused about what gauge string should I put on it.

don't know if it helps but some pics:

https://imgur.com/OiPESSg
https://imgur.com/rPDCXSc

Last edited by fts06; 05-25-2020 at 02:01 PM.
Old 05-25-2020, 09:28 AM

Could very well be that it needs a truss rod adjustment due to the lower tension strings...or OOTH it might need .13s to achieve proper relief. Or both, potentially.
Old 05-25-2020, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianovichIV View Post
Could very well be that it needs a truss rod adjustment due to the lower tension strings...or OOTH it might need .13s to achieve proper relief. Or both, potentially.
Maybe there are already 13's on it and the guy doesn't know what he's talking about. Is there a way to identify string gauge?
Old 05-25-2020, 09:55 AM

What is the action?

What's the humidity doing in your area?

Could be backbow. Could be a nut slot cut too low. Could be a bad fret. Hard to say without looking it over.
Old 05-25-2020, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fts06 View Post
Is there a way to identify string gauge?
Measure them! Do you have a digital caliper? If yes, just measure the thicknesses in thousandths of an inch.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 05-25-2020, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
Measure them! Do you have a digital caliper? If yes, just measure the thicknesses in thousandths of an inch.
Unfortunately I don't have one. If I buy a set of 13's, maybe I can tell just comparing them by looking? Even if they are 12's on the guitar right now. Would going to mediums affect it badly?
Old 05-25-2020, 10:05 AM

I would have a setup done to it, and have the tack put on what your use to playing.
Old 05-25-2020, 10:07 AM

Take it in to a reliable repair shop and get a good set up for the string gauge you prefer.
Old 05-25-2020, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Unfortunately I don't have one. If I buy a set of 13's, maybe I can tell just comparing them by looking? Even if they are 12's on the guitar right now. Would going to mediums affect it badly?
I wouldn't just automatically change to mediums, whatever you're use to. Volume wise it will be similar, but more bass from the mediums, and a little bit more clarity with the lights. Also not to mention, lights will make it less likely for a quick neck reset. You bought a used guitar.
Old 05-25-2020, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
What is the action?

What's the humidity doing in your area?

Could be backbow. Could be a nut slot cut too low. Could be a bad fret. Hard to say without looking it over.
I'm trying to measure the action at 12th fret with a tape measure but it's difficult with it. Any advice on measuring it the right way?
Old 05-25-2020, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Maybe there are already 13's on it and the guy doesn't know what he's talking about. Is there a way to identify string gauge?
Also possible. Maybe you could contact the seller and ask...for example, if they personally put new strings on for you, it’s a good bet they’re 12s and what he said was accurate.
Old 05-25-2020, 10:35 AM
Charter Member

a US nickel is about .075 thick

" normal " Martin factory action is around 3/32 ( .093) low E at the 12th

so if the nickel can't slide under neath it would be pretty low.....
Old 05-25-2020, 10:37 AM

Quote:
notes are buzzing when I hit it a little hard. What is the best way to know if it's lower than it should be?
The definition of "lower than it should be" is "notes are buzzing when I hit it a little hard".

The question is then why are they buzzing? That depends, in part, on where they are buzzing. Open strings only, only at middle frets, only at lower frets, only at specific frets, equally all over?

String height over the fretboard is governed by three variables: string height at the nut, string height at the saddle and the shape of the neck (i.e. relief). Where it buzzes tells you which of these are the cause. String height is one possible cause of buzzing, but not the only possible cause.

If you want to learn about guitar setup, there are many articles and videos that will teach you the basics. To perform basic setup work you will need to invest in some tools. If you are careful in your buying, plan on spending $50 to $100 on a basic set of tools. "Found objects", nickels, dimes, paper clips, credit cards, welding tip cleaners... are not a replacement for proper tools. Doing good work requires appropriate (good) tools.

If you aren't interested in learning, or don't want to invest in the tools, take your guitar to a professional for a setup. There is no shame in taking it to a professional. (I don't change the oil in my car and don't want to: I take it to a professional.) A basic setup will range from $40 to $150 depending upon who's doing it and their geographic location.
Old 05-25-2020, 10:42 AM

If it just arrived, were the strings under tension when you opened the case? If you had tighten up the strings to bring them to pitch, leave it be for a while before you do anything else - the neck may shift back into place on its own.

If not, all the other previous advice applies...
Old 05-25-2020, 10:42 AM

A US penny's edge thickness is just under .0625" and a quarter's thickness is just over .0625" (1/16"), so use those coins to judge your action height at the 12'th fret. Slide the coin between the string and the fret. Martin spec is just over 1/16" for the high E at the 12th fret and a little higher for the low E. (actually 7/64ths on the low E string and 5/64ths' on the high e string). People who "hit it hard" usually need higher action than that.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion