The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-22-2020, 08:17 PM

I want to thank everyone for their great insight, information and advice. It's quite funny that Dadzmad mentioned wanting a telecaster as I've been perusing the website and educating myself accordingly as I've always admired the tele very much.
Now that I'm retired and have some discretionary funds, the possibility of owning a telecaster is more of a reality. Problem is deciding which one though I tend to lean towards a Corona, CA built one. But I'm getting in way over my skis as the journey has just begun transitioning from acoustic to electric.

2000 Martin D-18GE
2019 Martin OM-28
2020 Martin OOO-18GE Custom
1997 Fender Stratocaster American Deluxe
1930’s Dobro/Regal Resophonic Guitar
Old 05-28-2020, 07:50 AM

I submit that you start with 10 to 46 gauge strings, and do get that setup. Play / learn barre chords and play those to get a good feel for the guitar's neck and muting using both left and right hands. Justinguitar is excellent for instruction. Learn the minor pentatonic scale and jam it to backing tracks on youtube (just search blues backing track) and have fun. I tried flatwounds and found them 'slippery' which meant that it was hard to hold onto a chord that required some reach. American Teles are excellent. Japan and Korea also make great teles and strats. My Classic Vibe Tele is as good as an American, at one third the cost. No matter, there is a lot to be said for finding an "older" strat or tele on the used market. Hey continue to play your acoustic a couple of times per week too so you can easily switch between electric and acoustic.
Have fun.
Old 05-28-2020, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickcrna View Post
I want to thank everyone for their great insight, information and advice. It's quite funny that Dadzmad mentioned wanting a telecaster as I've been perusing the website and educating myself accordingly as I've always admired the tele very much.
Now that I'm retired and have some discretionary funds, the possibility of owning a telecaster is more of a reality. Problem is deciding which one though I tend to lean towards a Corona, CA built one. But I'm getting in way over my skis as the journey has just begun transitioning from acoustic to electric.
If ya can swing it cost wise, I'd just go for a USA made, Professional series.
Old 05-28-2020, 03:01 PM
Charter Member

No arguments with rmp, but I am telling you, I love my Mexican made Road Worn Tele....has upgraded saddles and a bone nut - I love the stock pickups.....for the money, it's a deal all the way around.....It's not really a "relic" as I don't like those - just has enough bumps and bruises to feel and look spectacular....I hate anything shiny when it comes to guitars.....the Road Worn Fender Tele checks all the boxes....you can find them used for under $800 with some patience....maybe even close to low $700....she feels, plays and sounds great.....

Electrics
Fender / Fender Amps * TMG

Favorite Gin - Citadelle
Favorite Bourbon - Woodford Reserve Double Oaked

Favorite Grape - Nebbiolo
Old 06-13-2020, 02:50 PM

Youve got a great set there. Best advice, find someone that does Zoom lessons. Im self taught cause there were no guitar instructors when I started. I just gave up on lessons and as a result it took me many years to get anywhere. Since you are retired you dont have that time.
Old 06-14-2020, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
Im self taught cause there were no guitar instructors when I started.
good lord, there was a time when there were no guitar instructors

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars