The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-05-2020, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post
Well, clearly strings settle in some fashion. Who hasn't experienced putting on new strings, bringing everything up to pitch, and then hearing strings go flat quickly after playing for a few minutes?

I've never owned a guitar that did not exhibit this. Electric or acoustic. Bass guitars. Mandolin. And every single guitar owned by others where I change the strings.

In answer to the OP, I 'stretch' my strings because if I don't, then I'll be retuning for hours (in one minute intervals) over the next few days.

Not my idea of time well spent.

Anyone who is ruining strings by stretching them is doing it wrong.
Really.?? Hours of tuning.?? I don't understand. I tune the strings once. Every time I play. Hasn't given me tunnel carpal yet.

Any stretching that I do is done with the tuning machines. No more than a whole step at a time. I should mention, I have very few tuning problems.

Last edited by 3notes; 05-05-2020 at 09:23 PM.
Old 05-05-2020, 11:08 PM
Charter Member

When you pull on steel strings and think you are stretching them, you're not. You are tightening the windings around the tuning pegs.

A steel string is essentially a spring. If you pull on it, it will elongate slightly based on the stress you put on the string, but when you let go of it, it goes back to the length it was originally. Steel strings are designed not to exceed the elastic limit when tuned to correct pitch, so they don't really stretch.

Nylon strings do stretch and they do get longer over time.

The reason tuning stability is enhanced when "stretching" new steel strings is because everything is tightened up more on the tuner shafts. Even when I "stretch" new strings after putting them on, the next day they are almost always just a little bit flat and so the guitar has to be retuned. That's because I didn't get all the play out of the wrappings. I don't put very much extra force on the strings to tighten things up -- maybe a pound or two of extra tension. I don't want to break a string. And that's what happens if your really do stretch a string.

- Glenn
Old 05-06-2020, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
When you pull on steel strings and think you are stretching them, you're not. You are tightening the windings around the tuning pegs.

A steel string is essentially a spring. If you pull on it, it will elongate slightly based on the stress you put on the string, but when you let go of it, it goes back to the length it was originally. Steel strings are designed not to exceed the elastic limit when tuned to correct pitch, so they don't really stretch.

The reason tuning stability is enhanced when "stretching" new steel strings is because everything is tightened up more on the tuner shafts. Even when I "stretch" new strings after putting them on, the next day they are almost always just a little bit flat and so the guitar has to be retuned. That's because I didn't get all the play out of the wrappings. I don't put very much extra force on the strings to tighten things up -- maybe a pound or two of extra tension. I don't want to break a string. And that's what happens if your really do stretch a string.

- Glenn
I like this post.^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Well stated. Glen.... If I 'stretch' by gauging it with a tuner, like I said above, I never 'stretch' more than a whole step. Should I back that down to say a halfstep while gauging it on the tuner.?? I try to be delicate with my strings. Headcase.?? .... no. I just pay attention. Thats all. In the old days I used to hook onto the string but I never knew how much or even what I was doing. I was stretching the strings. Now I gauge it with a tuner.
Old 05-06-2020, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3notes View Post
I like this post.^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Well stated. Glen.... If I 'stretch' by gauging it with a tuner, like I said above, I never 'stretch' more than a whole step. Should I back that down to say a halfstep while gauging it on the tuner.?? I try to be delicate with my strings. Headcase.?? .... no. I just pay attention. Thats all. In the old days I used to hook onto the string but I never knew how much or even what I was doing. I was stretching the strings. Now I gauge it with a tuner.

I think we all just do what works for us. Getting into the whole science behind it is quite irrelevant really.
Old 05-06-2020, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post

- Glenn
According to these guys, who make strings, they do actually stretch.
https://www.stringjoy.com/stretching...-strings-myth/
Old 05-06-2020, 10:46 AM

If you're wrecking string by pulling them, you're doing something wrong.
All strings stretch or wrap tighter around the peg. You either do it by pulling them, or by constantly tuning them for several days until they reach max. If I need my guitar to stay in tune on the next 3 min, I need to do it myself. If I want to screw around for a few days, I'll let nature takes its eventual course.
Old 05-06-2020, 02:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdto View Post
According to these guys, who make strings, they do actually stretch.
https://www.stringjoy.com/stretching...-strings-myth/
Yes, there is some disagreement on this subject.

If you do the calculations, you'll find that steel strings are operated under the elastic limit of the strings. Therefore by definition, there is no permanent stretching with steel strings.

- Glenn
Old 05-06-2020, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
My understanding is that strings don't stretch, at least not in a substantial way - pulling on them simply seats the ball ends and tightens the windings on the tuner pegs.
That's been my understanding as well, especially the tuning pegs.

I always stretch my strings when I first put them on but only 2-3 times. So, tune to pitch, stretch, tune, stretch, tune ... play!
Old 05-06-2020, 03:12 PM

Regardless of the physics behind it, or the explanations for why, "tugging" on newly installed steel strings WILL greatly shorten the amount of time necessary for retuning. Thousands of guitarists can verify this.
Old 05-07-2020, 01:10 PM
Charter Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
I think we all just do what works for us. Getting into the whole science behind it is quite irrelevant really.
Now, where's that "like" button?!!!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 05-07-2020, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonJim View Post
Regardless of the physics behind it, or the explanations for why, "tugging" on newly installed steel strings WILL greatly shorten the amount of time necessary for retuning. Thousands of guitarists can verify this.
+1. Another 'like' button response.
Old 05-07-2020, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3notes View Post
Done at the factory.??

Why are strings not stretched at the factory.??

And how many of you feel that you have wrecked strings by stretching them.??

I hate stretching strings and when I do I feel the need to. Doesn't happen often. It seems the bottom E string and A string need it the most.

Why do people stretch strings right from the git-go.??

Before anyone replies.... Is the number one reply going to be because the strings get stuck in the nut and the saddle.?? If so, have your tech fix the problem, right.?? Then, are you still going to stretch your strings.?? Why.??

I don't believe in it, for the most part. I do it only when I think a single string needs it. Why aren't they stretched at the factory.?? They are a gauge. Why change it.??

Honestly, I just thought of this now. Meaning, I'd never questioned it before.
What makes you think they aren't?

A newly installed set of strings benefits from the process that many of us use to bed the string around the tuner string post and to seat the winding end. Some players like to change strings before a gig and without proper bedding they will spend a lot of time playing out of tune.

Is that what you really want to do?

"Stretch" them when changing and you don't have to fool around with waiting until the strings decide to settle into position.

There's a reason why being a master of your chosen instrument means not suffering from the vagaries of a simple mechanical device.
Old 05-08-2020, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonJim View Post
This is correct.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 05-08-2020, 12:53 PM
Charter Member

No amount of string stretching at the factory will get fresh strings properly settled onto the guitar itself.

If I break a string during a gig, I typically switch guitars until the next break. Then, when I change a string (or all of them), it might look like I'm stretching a string. But more accurately, I'm pulling on it to get it firmly settled-in at 4 key places - endpins (on an acoustic), the bridge/saddle, the nut, and wound very snugly around the tuner shaft. With all possible slack pulled out, it's far less likely to drift flat during the first few tunes, especially rock/blues numbers with lots of string bending.

IMHO, nothing they did (or didn't do) at the factory will affect what happens when I install new strings and start playing again. For me, it's all about getting the string properly installed, fully taut and settled onto the guitar without inadvertent slack lurking anywhere.

YMMV

Last edited by tinnitus; 05-12-2020 at 02:28 PM.
Old 05-08-2020, 11:37 PM
Charter Member

I remember the first time I used DR Sunbeam strings and they suggested on the package that there was no need to stretch the strings. So I gave it a try. I was retuning the guitar in fairly substantial ways every day for a week. It was pretty ridiculous.

I tried this not-stretching-strings thing once and gave it up as completely impractical. When I used to perform for money 30 years ago, I put new strings on the day before a show, not only for better sound but also so that I was less likely to break a string. If I didn't get all the play out of the tuning pegs by a little judicious pulling on the strings the day before, I would be tuning in the middle of a show, something I never wanted to do because it gets in the way of an audience's attention.

I'm willing to try a new idea once to see if there are benefits. In this case, there were only disadvantages.

- Glenn

Last edited by Glennwillow; 05-10-2020 at 09:45 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars