The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-12-2020, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Beamish View Post
Maybe, but memory is so short. “Nine eleven” will always refer to the 2001 attacks. But aside from the name, things tend to normalize.

I do wonder if people will stop hugging each other. Except for families and lovers. That would be nice. I really hate hugging.
You sound like you could really use a good hug!
Old 04-12-2020, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Yes with "normal" having been changed. History never repeats exactly.

Never again will "Corona" be just beer with a lime wedge.
Also a city in California, where Fender builds guitars.
Old 04-12-2020, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
What will it look like when sports resume? I'm thinking NHL, NBA, MLB, and then NFL, college sports, etc. There are also the more individual sports with fans in attendance as well such as golf, tennis, auto racing, etc. And of course sports across the world like European soccer.

I've been reading a lot of articles about the NHL, NBA, and MLB looking at the possibility of playing all their games in a specific city or area to avoid travel ... with perhaps no fans.

Sports is an important to many of us but it definitely takes a back seat in today's climate and deservedly so. Hoping that the NHL and NBA can conclude their season though, however that may look.

Your thoughts?
I could care less and would be fine if some of it dies. Much of it is warped versions of welfare.

Last edited by imwjl; 04-12-2020 at 11:36 AM.
Old 04-12-2020, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanEagle View Post
I hope they have an NFL season.
I need my New England Patriots, even without Tom Brady!
Same here, AE. I'm really looking forward to seeing Brady in Tampa Bay to see what he can do there. A lost season would probably be the end of Brady's career.
Old 04-12-2020, 11:08 AM
Charter Member

It would be interesting to look back on all these COVID-19 threads a year or two from now and see how closely anyone came to predicting the future. There are more than enough guesses in all these threads to keep it interesting.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 04-12-2020, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
Yes, but sports contribute a lot to local economies and if they died, it would hurt a lot of people besides the sports. That's why the athletes get paid so much. And, pro athletes are like the top 0.1% of their "professions" as well. So, it's not like anyone can do what they do.
Seriously? Are you seriously stating that the reason athletes get paid so much is to help the $15/hour workers? That is why they get paid so much? Hmmm, I kind of doubt that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...orts_contracts

According to the list here (above), the top ten baseball athletes (just the top 10 mind you!) get $2,988,000,000 - 3 BILLION dollars - for their "work". It averages out at $30 million dollars a year for playing baseball.

In my mind, nobody is worth 30 million a year...for anything. Now, please note the word "worth". Yes, the top of a field gets top prices. And please, this has NOTHING to do with the skill and prowess of these players. Yes, some are even in the 0.01% of their field. So what?

The reason, in my mind, these few get paid so much is a self-stoking cycle. They get paid so much because they CAN. They can because people are willing to pay the sums needed to pay them. The more they are jacked up AS the elite, the more people think it is worthwhile to pay huge sums to see them. It is a lovely and effective loop. And it has worked.

TEN guys get paid 3 BILLION dollars to play baseball. Ten!

Sorry, but to me no matter how good you are, no matter how top of the field you are, that is an obscene amount of money.

But further; remember this is a business. If 10 guys are getting paid 3 billion dollars to play baseball, the people that are paying them...are getting MORE than that. The people paying them ain't gonna pay that much out of the goodness of their heart. They pay them that obscene amount because it is profitable for them. And it sure ain't because they want to help the smuck getting $15/hour.

Totally agree that if high paid professional sports disappeared (and I do not for a second think it will) I definitely think it would adversely affect many people. But surely as a society can't we think of a a useful way to redirect those billions and billions of dollars - including work that will pay those workers - to something that is positive?

But back to the original question: professional sports will come back. Whether that means large crowds in arena at similar scale that what was....hmmm, maybe. Certainly not in the short term. But people DO have short memories, and people DO have the need to project desires into idolization. I personally do not. Whenever I hear athletes denoted as "heroes" I cringe.

Yes, some can be heroic in the wonderful things they do OFF the play, and yes, certainly some of the acts they perform are wonderfully fantastic and delightful (Jordan Spieth chipping out of a bunker into the hole for a birdie, Kawhi Leonard making that buzzer beating shot - and on and on), but to my mind they are in no way heroes. I watch kids literally idolizing athletes and it bothers me.

Sorry, I guess the rant is not quite out. Ahem. Back again. Sports WILL resume. Sporting events WILL resume. But I think it WILL be different. How, I am not sure (no one is), however my spidey sense tells me it will be different. At least for a while.

Celtic harps: 1994 Triplett Excelle, 1998 Triplett Avalon (the first ever made - Steve Triplett's personal prototype)
Old 04-12-2020, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumei View Post
Seriously? Are you seriously stating that the reason athletes get paid so much is to help the $15/hour workers? That is why they get paid so much? Hmmm, I kind of doubt that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...orts_contracts

According to the list here (above), the top ten baseball athletes (just the top 10 mind you!) get $2,988,000,000 - 3 BILLION dollars - for their "work". It averages out at $30 million dollars a year for playing baseball.

In my mind, nobody is worth 30 million a year...for anything. Now, please note the word "worth". Yes, the top of a field gets top prices. And please, this has NOTHING to do with the skill and prowess of these players. Yes, some are even in the 0.01% of their field. So what?

The reason, in my mind, these few get paid so much is a self-stoking cycle. They get paid so much because they CAN. They can because people are willing to pay the sums needed to pay them. The more they are jacked up AS the elite, the more people think it is worthwhile to pay huge sums to see them. It is a lovely and effective loop. And it has worked.

TEN guys get paid 3 BILLION dollars to play baseball. Ten!

Sorry, but to me no matter how good you are, no matter how top of the field you are, that is an obscene amount of money.

But further; remember this is a business. If 10 guys are getting paid 3 billion dollars to play baseball, the people that are paying them...are getting MORE than that. The people paying them ain't gonna pay that much out of the goodness of their heart. They pay them that obscene amount because it is profitable for them. And it sure ain't because they want to help the smuck getting $15/hour.

Totally agree that if high paid professional sports disappeared (and I do not for a second think it will) I definitely think it would adversely affect many people. But surely as a society can't we think of a a useful way to redirect those billions and billions of dollars - including work that will pay those workers - to something that is positive?

But back to the original question: professional sports will come back. Whether that means large crowds in arena at similar scale that what was....hmmm, maybe. Certainly not in the short term. But people DO have short memories, and people DO have the need to project desires into idolization. I personally do not. Whenever I hear athletes denoted as "heroes" I cringe.

Yes, some can be heroic in the wonderful things they do OFF the play, and yes, certainly some of the acts they perform are wonderfully fantastic and delightful (Jordan Spieth chipping out of a bunker into the hole for a birdie, Kawhi Leonard making that buzzer beating shot - and on and on), but to my mind they are in no way heroes. I watch kids literally idolizing athletes and it bothers me.

Sorry, I guess the rant is not quite out. Ahem. Back again. Sports WILL resume. Sporting events WILL resume. But I think it WILL be different. How, I am not sure (no one is), however my spidey sense tells me it will be different. At least for a while.
Take a breath...

I don't know how you arrived at the conclusion you made in your first paragraph. Where did I mention part time employees anywhere? I was stating they bring in large revenues which is why they get paid that much.

If they can make that much, I have no problem with it. It's not like they don't work hard to get to that point.

Now, say the some of the reality stars... who seem to make money for doing nothing... that I have problems with. CEOs who played in roll in the last financial crisis we had in 2008 who seemed to be interested in their own pockets instead of their clients... I have a problem with that too. Athletes work hard and do things few can do, so it's fine to me.

I'm a professional educator and scientist. I don't do what I do to make money. But, I have followed and played sports my whole life and still do. I have a lot of respect for professional athletes and I do revere many of them to this day. Do I revere other professions? Of course I do, but I love pro sports and have zero problems with any of it.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 04-12-2020, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
It would be interesting to look back on all these COVID-19 threads a year or two from now and see how closely anyone came to predicting the future. There are more than enough guesses in all these threads to keep it interesting.

Tony
You're right Tony. 6 months after everyone is immunized some of these covid-19 threads should be resurrected.
Old 04-12-2020, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
I understand that thinking...

I also understand that thinking. I'm old enough to remember when professional sports were played at a lower economic level, but as the money has piled up in and around the playing field, the economic reality has become increasingly valid as a justification.

I don't think fumei was saying that it was easy, just that all the money pouring into professional sports has served to detract from the game for him/her....

He’s basically saying that nobody should get paid that much for doing simple things like swinging a bat and throwing a ball. In essence, downplaying the amount of dedication, and personal sacrifice it takes in order to be that good of an athlete. Or perhaps the team owners and sports organizations should keep most of the money and pay the athletes middle class wages?

Same applies to famous musicians/artists etc.
Old 04-12-2020, 03:36 PM
Charter Member

Here is one possible future scenario...

Virtual sports. From what I understand, there is already big money in playing various computer games, especially in the Asian countries.

You could easily have people as isolated as necessary playing "professional" sports. Then, it is people who have good reflexes needed for computer games. These folks could be in wheel chairs or with many other handicaps. Then there would be on differentiation between Special Olympics, Olympics, and pro sports. There would still be a top .1%, but the demographics would probably be vastly different from that of live sports. Maybe the biggest star would be some 80 year old geezer. The cheering crowd is nothing more than a sample played at the right time.

It would be weird to many at first, but in time, there would be a whole generation who had never seen live sports, just as there are many people alive today who don't remember the Beatles.

This stuff has already been discussed in various ways in some of these threads, so I am not saying anything unique or new, but just throwing it out there in this thread as one possible future implementation of sports in a virus world.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 04-12-2020, 03:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknow View Post
Also a city in California, where Fender builds guitars.
Yes I recently became aware of that, BUT decided the beer quip was more catchy

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 04-13-2020, 12:01 AM

I am no expert on the business of sport. I do realize that when teams and franchises negotiate contracts it is assumed that things will be going full steam ahead. Player salaries can be promised up front. No matter injury or a league shut down they get paid. Franchises across the board will be struggling to figure this out as they counted on every empty seat filled and concession purchases to help provide the 'product'. TV revenue was gravy. Things just got looped for the NHL and NBA and MLBB. We will see how the NFL does. Every pro franchise is on notice. I don't think all of them will survive. The money stream had to show up every day. And it stopped.
Old 04-13-2020, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobe View Post
I am no expert on the business of sport. I do realize that when teams and franchises negotiate contracts it is assumed that things will be going full steam ahead. Player salaries can be promised up front. No matter injury or a league shut down they get paid. Franchises across the board will be struggling to figure this out as they counted on every empty seat filled and concession purchases to help provide the 'product'. TV revenue was gravy. Things just got looped for the NHL and NBA and MLBB. We will see how the NFL does. Every pro franchise is on notice. I don't think all of them will survive. The money stream had to show up every day. And it stopped.
This is not much different than most businesses. Plans are made and contracts are written with some fundamental assumptions in mind, with some of the most important assumptions being about the flow of revenue: how it will be distributed through the year(s), how it will grow, how consistent it will be, etc. Most of these assumptions are being upended. How will the various stakeholders respond? How much slack exists in the systems, which is what enables response? What downstream effects will each particular response create?

Time will tell.
Old 04-13-2020, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post

Tony
All the guesses and predictions will be wrong. But that doesn’t mean that they have no value.
Old 04-13-2020, 07:38 AM

My view is that the role baseball used to play in normalizing American society has now been taken over by college football. I think that social and business restrictions will be lifted in whatever fashion it takes to allow the college football season to proceed normally and with fans in the stands.

The latest IHME curve shows deaths going to zero by about the middle of June, which is right in line with what will be necessary for starting the summer practice schedule. Furthermore, the current Covid response is being run by the Governor's Council, not the White House. If there's one thing Governors know all about, it's the college football schedule at their state colleges.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic