The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 05-26-2020, 07:12 AM

Howard, what a wonderful result, truly the color of a red violin! I believe I’ve also seen that picture of Elizabeth Taylor and also loved instrument finish. Really the ideal color IMHO. What a great look!
Old 05-26-2020, 07:47 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Mott View Post
Howard, what a wonderful result, truly the color of a red violin! I believe I’ve also seen that picture of Elizabeth Taylor and also loved instrument finish. Really the ideal color IMHO. What a great look!
Hi Richard,
You’ve clearly been to the shop if you’ve seen the picture. I’m certain John has never posted it.

I’ve been a fool for red guitars since seeing the 1964 Gibson catalogue cover, then the Guild Starfire line, etc.

The closer it gets to being finished, slower goes the day....

Best,
Howard
Old 05-26-2020, 02:32 PM
Charter Member

Great color, congrats on the build!

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 05-26-2020, 03:13 PM
Charter Member

The guitar and violin are gorgeous. He got the color match perfect.
Old 05-26-2020, 03:45 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive-south View Post
The guitar and violin are gorgeous. He got the color match perfect.
And the thing to keep in mind is that when John made the violin he actually ground up ‘madder root’ with a muller and glass platen; same way it’s been done for hundreds of years. It’s also varnish instead of lacquer.

For my guitar and the mandos I don’t know how he got the color, but it’s a LOT less work than using madder root!!

Howard
Old 05-26-2020, 05:49 PM

Stunningly gorgeous, Howard.

Thanks for sharing the journey with us. I concede, though, that I'll only be happy (well, you've already made me happy, so happier) if you share a video of you playing this marvelous creation.
Old 05-26-2020, 06:42 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
Stunningly gorgeous, Howard.

Thanks for sharing the journey with us. I concede, though, that I'll only be happy (well, you've already made me happy, so happier) if you share a video of you playing this marvelous creation.
Hey JT,
How’re you feeling? Hope alls well!

I fully intend to take LaCorsa into the studio within days of completion to record a very special composition; one that’s been waiting patiently for over 20 years to reach maturity.

I’ll certainly sit down in front of my phone & MV88 shortly after that, I promise.

Stay tuned...

H
Old 05-27-2020, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
Hey JT,
How’re you feeling? Hope alls well!

I fully intend to take LaCorsa into the studio within days of completion to record a very special composition; one that’s been waiting patiently for over 20 years to reach maturity.

I’ll certainly sit down in front of my phone & MV88 shortly after that, I promise.

Stay tuned...

H
Thanks for asking, Howard. COVID-19 is a serious challenge. After a month, I'm finally recovering!

I am really looking forward to hearing you play this guitar. You and John are such magicians.
Old 06-02-2020, 03:07 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Lacorsa nearing completion

Just got a pair of tantalizing pictures from John today. The bridge is set, so perhaps I'll have a birthday present on Thursday, but I'll try to ignore that possibility........

Herewith.....

Soon, in any case....

HE
Old 06-02-2020, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Soon, in any case....
That is glorious. In the age of over-sized (to my eyes) rosettes, the simplicity, elegance, and beauty of John's work really resonates (pun intended).
Old 06-02-2020, 04:43 PM
Charter Member

Almost there... congrats...
Old 06-02-2020, 05:03 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
That is glorious. In the age of over-sized (to my eyes) rosettes, the simplicity, elegance, and beauty of John's work really resonates (pun intended).
Hi John,
When the oval hole, along with the single black line was suggested I completely agreed, but I requested that the end of the fingerboard be concentric to it.

Less is more.

I also requested a magnetic device for an arm guard that’s easily removable. We’ll come up with something, somehow.

By the way I also had Covid 19, with pneumonia, though two test came back negative. The serum antibody ‘confirmed’ that I had it, and I don’t doubt it for a minute. It was a very lousy 11 days.

Be well,
Howard
Old 06-02-2020, 05:43 PM

Quote:
By the way I also had Covid 19, with pneumonia, though two test came back negative. The serum antibody ‘confirmed’ that I had it, and I don’t doubt it for a minute. It was a very lousy 11 days.
I'm so happy that you recovered so quickly! This means that I'll soon hear you playing this gorgeous work on Monteleone art!

I've been sick with COVID for about 6 weeks now. Nearly recovered. My case has been complicated by me having a rather significant case prostate cancer. As soon as I'm healthy enough, I'll undergo surgery and follow-up radiation. Something tells me I'll yearn for my COVID days.
Old 06-03-2020, 05:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi John,
Yikes Howard. That's scary, but great news on your recovery. Glad you made it through OK.
Your new guitar will make you forget all about it. It's gorgeous.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 06-03-2020, 05:54 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
I'm so happy that you recovered so quickly! This means that I'll soon hear you playing this gorgeous work on Monteleone art!

I've been sick with COVID for about 6 weeks now. Nearly recovered. My case has been complicated by me having a rather significant case prostate cancer. As soon as I'm healthy enough, I'll undergo surgery and follow-up radiation. Something tells me I'll yearn for my COVID days.
John,
I sure hope the delay in getting treatment isn't too long, and that your response to treatment is entirely successful!

Stay sassy!

Love,
Howard

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop