The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-23-2020, 06:42 PM

Default Shure MV88plus

I just recorded this today with the MV88+.

As compared to the last video I posted, you can see my Elite Acoustics D6-8 to the left. I put it a little further back this time and turned down a little so that you would hear more acoustic guitar. I also added a little more bass EQ (so that it would augment the low end of the acoustic guitar) plus I added a little reverb.

My cell phone (a OnePlus 7 Pro) is shooting the wide shot that I use at the beginning and end of the video, plus recording the video through the MV88+.

My mirrorless camera (a Panasonic GH4) is shooting the zoomed in shot (which I slid into place to sync).

I used a couple of Z96 lights from eBay to light it. I always use those lights.

I think the guitar sounds very natural, but I’ll turn it up on the acoustic amp a little more the next time to better balance it with my voice.

I really think I’m on to something with recording the guitar and vocal off the same mic, but augmenting the guitar with a little amplified sound from an acoustic amp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WC8B...ature=youtu.be
Old 04-23-2020, 07:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
I just recorded this today with the MV88+.

As compared to the last video I posted, you can see my Elite Acoustics D6-8 to the left. I put it a little further back this time and turned down a little so that you would hear more acoustic guitar. I also added a little more bass EQ (so that it would augment the low end of the acoustic guitar) plus I added a little reverb.

My cell phone (a OnePlus 7 Pro) is shooting the wide shot that I use at the beginning and end of the video, plus recording the video through the MV88+.

My mirrorless camera (a Panasonic GH4) is shooting the zoomed in shot (which I slid into place to sync).

I used a couple of Z96 lights from eBay to light it. I always use those lights.

I think the guitar sounds very natural, but I’ll turn it up on the acoustic amp a little more the next time to better balance it with my voice.

I really think I’m on to something with recording the guitar and vocal off the same mic, but augmenting the guitar with a little amplified sound from an acoustic amp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WC8B...ature=youtu.be
Very nice, Laurence! The vocal, the playing, and all the video/audio work - a nice presentation.

I learn something each time I use the MV88+... and considering I am an old dog, well, you know. You did that up professionally.
Old 04-23-2020, 07:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
You’re getting better and better at figuring out what works best, Jim. I think this take is the best yet...quite good. One thing though...there seems to be a scratch/thump sound seemingly coming from the guitar. Can you hear it?
Thanks, Tom. I keep plugging away at it, and this thread hopefully shows that I am making progress. I'm not hearing a scratch/thump, but I think the mic gain could be set just a bit lower. Using the phone video without the Motiv app means you don't get a visual cue on levels while you're playing; pretty sure I was a bit hot on the MV88+ mic. It's a process, and I'll keep on it.
Old 04-23-2020, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Thanks, Tom. I keep plugging away at it, and this thread hopefully shows that I am making progress. I'm not hearing a scratch/thump, but I think the mic gain could be set just a bit lower. Using the phone video without the Motiv app means you don't get a visual cue on levels while you're playing; pretty sure I was a bit hot on the MV88+ mic. It's a process, and I'll keep on it.

You can set the levels on the MOTIV app, then quit it and use another video program if you want. This is good for something like Facebook Live.

One reason I like using the MV88+ and MOTIV app is because I can see the audio levels on the phone screen. If I use a Zoom recorder, it is really difficult to set the levels when you are playing yourself.
Old 04-23-2020, 09:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
You can set the levels on the MOTIV app, then quit it and use another video program if you want. This is good for something like Facebook Live.

One reason I like using the MV88+ and MOTIV app is because I can see the audio levels on the phone screen. If I use a Zoom recorder, it is really difficult to set the levels when you are playing yourself.
Yeah, I missed having the levels visible when I used the video camera part of the phone without the Motiv app. I had set the levels in a test, but I find that once past the sound check and into the playing, I tend to push a bit more. I will continue to work with it; feeling good about the steady progress. All in all, I find the MV88+ is good for making music videos without a lot of fuss. I may give Facebook Live a try, just for the experience... I keep my FB pretty closed down - just friends I actually know.
Old 04-24-2020, 04:01 PM
Charter Member

A Friday "stay at home" video. I cut the mic gain back, otherwise, all the same settings...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNuu...ature=youtu.be

Shure MV88+, iPhone11 Pro, Bose S1 Pro, Emerald X10 Lv2.
Old 04-24-2020, 05:14 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Thanks for this, Jim! Nicely done. To my ear, that scratch/thump sound wasn’t there with this recording, so either your settings adjustment made the difference, or as your “attack” with this song was lighter, maybe that had something to do with it. Btw...I heard what you did there...”Rufus” is never too far from your mind, huh?!
Old 04-24-2020, 10:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Thanks for this, Jim! Nicely done. To my ear, that scratch/thump sound wasn’t there with this recording, so either your settings adjustment made the difference, or as your “attack” with this song was lighter, maybe that had something to do with it. Btw...I heard what you did there...”Rufus” is never too far from your mind, huh?!
Yep. As you know, our household revolves around the feline family member... Rufus comes running and sits by me when I get a guitar down. He likes to hear his name in songs.

I did cut the mic gain back on this song.
Old 04-28-2020, 04:18 PM
Charter Member

My wife came across this shirt in a drawer this morning - I thought it was gone forever, so I was excited to see it again. It inspired me to do a song from the 60s...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fepW...ature=youtu.be

Old 04-29-2020, 04:18 PM
Charter Member

Another staying-at-home video. The Yamaha THR30ii amp I ordered arrived today - what a surprisingly capable "table top" amp. Great amplified guitar tones without the ear-bleeding volume. One of the last things I tried on it today was using one of my acoustics with a crunchy guitar tone and a flanger pedal. Yes, I need to get out more. In the meantime, the MV88+ makes easy work of the video/audio...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Zq0...ature=youtu.be
Old 04-30-2020, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Maniac View Post
I too read this whole thread and decided on the Blue Raspberry mic, because it had volume controls for the mic and headphones right there on the mic. Plus I found one on eBay for about $100 with tax, which is significantly less expensive than the MV 88+, but still delivers a quality sound. Mine is scheduled for delivery on Monday, so we'll see....
Sorry to say the Blue Raspberry didn't work out for me. It had a bad lightning cable and or connection and was very erratic. Not the pro quality I wanted, so I sent it back.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M
Old 05-04-2020, 02:23 PM
Charter Member

Another "stayin' at home" music video. After working with LogicPro for the first time, my head was hurting from that learning curve. It was good to take a break and play/record something that makes me feel less stressed. Hope you enjoy it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmGk...ature=youtu.be

Recorded once again with the Shure MV88+ video kit.
Old 05-06-2020, 03:39 PM

Here is another song recorded with my phone and Shure MV88+. You can see the wireless transmitter coming off the guitar. There is also a Elite Acoustics D6-8 amp just off screen to the left. You can just see the edge of it if you look closely. I turn the guitar up on the amp just a little to better balance with the vocal and to add a little artificial ambience. The Shure MV88+ is on a mic stand so that I could shoot wide with the phone but still get the sound of closer miked audio. I also used a couple of little battery powered lights.

https://youtu.be/HJTaSb15p_M
Old 05-08-2020, 12:19 PM
Charter Member

A Friday "stayin' at home" video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzTenuWsKDw
Old 05-12-2020, 11:29 AM
Charter Member

Another "stayin' at home" video with the MV88+...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sS3L...ature=youtu.be

This is WAY easier than trying to learn LogicProX.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD