The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-30-2020, 12:56 PM

Default Help with neck profile

Hi, looking for some input on different CF guitar neck profiles.
My only current CF guitar is a Composite Accoustics Legacy. I very much like the tone. Not so much the neck. I tend to like a beefy neck i think. thin necks tend to cramp my hand making barre chords.. This one is 1-3/4 which is my prefered width, but feels too thin for me in the depth department.
I have also had a Journey Of660 and didnt care for that neck either. I sold my Martin 2014 , 000-18 and didnt care for the modified low oval on that neck.
I did like the neck on a recent PRS T60e that i traded for my Eastman E20om, which
I like the neck profile.
So, I am looking for 2 CF guitars. One dread sized and one Om or 000 size. Mostly first position chords, strum and fingerpick
Can anyone point me in the right direction?
As i have lived on my boat for the past 18 years. i am finding that as much as i love the sound of a wooden guitar, Carbon Fiber makes more sense for me.
Old 05-30-2020, 01:22 PM

Well well well if it's a beefy neck on a carbon fiber you're after there's none beefier than the Rainsong N2 neck. They have several different options but if it were me I would be looking at their vintage models. That's the first time I ever had to recommend the N2 neck. It was the only neck that was too beefy for me but there's certainly people out there that like it. I would recommend the Sable but the neck profile might be too thin for you as its similar to a Taylor neck.
Old 05-30-2020, 02:56 PM

The guitars I am drawn to based only on reviews and videos are the McPherson and Emerald.
Can anyone comment on the neck profiles of these 2 brands?
Old 05-30-2020, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmsstrider View Post
The guitars I am drawn to based only on reviews and videos are the McPherson and Emerald.
I already commented on the McPherson Sable neck profile but I'll say it again. It's like a soft v, similar to a Furch or Taylor neck. The Emerald neck is like a "D" or shallow "C" profile. I would classify it as a medium size neck. I do find both quite comfortable but favor the Sable neck. You would probably prefer the Emerald neck as it's a little bit thicker.
Old 05-30-2020, 03:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmsstrider View Post
The neck on the McPherson (I own both Touring and Sable) is very similar to that of Taylor (I own a 2019 K14ce Builder's Edition). So, to me, the playing feel is much like the Taylor, which is my favorite playing feel.

I can't comment on the Emerald since I have not played one. I am sure there are many very satisfied Emerald owners here who can answer for Emerald necks here.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber