The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-30-2020, 08:11 AM

Default Can you look at this damaged Gibson Advanced Jumbo for me?

Man, I'm just still looking for one acoustic guitar that covers all my bases, and one of those things is a short scale. I've never played this model, I don't think I've ever played a gibson rosewood anything but my current main acoustic is rosewood and I love the sound once I figured out how to tame the brightness.

Anyway, came across this. Looks very abused, apparently by first owner. It's a 2013, that top looks bad and the binding chip looks bad. He says the top has been repaired.
This is in Canadian dollars, so for instance if a new guitar costs $700 in the u.s, the same guitar new here will likely cost about $1000.
Anyway, do you think the price he's asking is still steep for the damage?
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-guitar/strat...tar/1492854847

Last edited by Wellington; 05-30-2020 at 08:35 AM.
Old 05-30-2020, 08:18 AM

the images will not load in .

Gibsons are unusual animals -some are terrific some are so-so .
with damage and not being able to play them - Id say if you can get your hands on it , you might be able to determine salvage ability
or if its a big deal or something you could live with or repair yourself .
I bought an older Guild a few years back that looked bad , but basically just looked abused . when i got it I was able to polish out the top haze, do a basic set up -
and its a beautiful instrument - plus because its a '78 i got the much prized Brazilian rosewood bridge that The original guild company is known for .

Ive owned a few Gibsons in my days ( presently i only own one ) Ive always wanted a Hummingbird -
maybe becasue their pretty - but their hit and miss as well -plus its hard to get a good deal on a new
Gibson -they have always priced them way to high ( IMO )
Old 05-30-2020, 08:18 AM

Your link doesn't work.
Old 05-30-2020, 08:21 AM

The link is fixed.

I might be going to Edmonton in a couple weeks, if it's still available I might try, almost $1600 seems like a lot just looking at the damage, even if it is 'repaired'.

Also, the binding chips look very uncomfortable to slide you're hand along, I wonder if binding can be patched? I assume it would look pretty bad, but I wonder if it could be done?
Old 05-30-2020, 08:34 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.loseth View Post
The link is fixed.

I might be going to Edmonton in a couple weeks, if it's still available I might try, almost $1600 seems like a lot just looking at the damage, even if it is 'repaired'.

Also, the binding chips look very uncomfortable to slide you're hand along, I wonder if binding can be patched? I assume it would look pretty bad, but I wonder if it could be done?
I've got to tell you that does NOT look like a 'dryness' crack. It looks MUCH worse!

My instinct says it was dropped on it's tail-block. The way that the crack is so symmetrical on both sides of the seam.

And there is a line behind the bridge, even with back edge of the bridge that's also activating my doubt meter.

I hope some of the repair people will chime in here, because in their line of work they've seen every manner of damage.

Anything can be fixed of course, but that price is out of line if my suspicions are anywhere near correct.

Beware, be safe.

Howard
Old 05-30-2020, 08:37 AM

I'd say keep looking. That guitar has seen better days.
Old 05-30-2020, 08:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.loseth View Post
Man, I'm just still looking for one acoustic guitar that covers all my bases, and one of those things is a short scale]
Another reason to pass on this is it's not a short scale guitar. The Advanced Jumbo (unless a Custom, which I doubt this one is) is standard scale.
Old 05-30-2020, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJP5 View Post
Another reason to pass on this is it's not a short scale guitar. The Advanced Jumbo (unless a Custom, which I doubt this one is) is standard scale.
Just saw that on the Gibson website, dang it, oh well it's not a deal breaker, my main acoustic right now is full scale as well.
Old 05-30-2020, 10:15 AM
Charter Member

The AJ is my favorite Gibson, so I would definitely keep looking.
Old 05-30-2020, 11:09 AM

Is it even repairable? What if a person talked some sense into them and got it for like $800? Still too risky for something like that?

Any luthiers have an opinion?
Old 05-30-2020, 11:13 AM

I had an AJ that had a crack in the top from the case lid being dropped on it. It was 1,200 and was a beautiful beast of a guitar. I still miss it. In my opinion it was everything a J45 is, but bigger. It would growl and was loud and rich. Dang it! Now I’m gonna have to find another one.
Old 05-30-2020, 11:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJP5 View Post

You might like the J29, ( a discontinued model) I have a 2014 , a short scale rosewood Gibson slope
that covers all my bases
Old 05-30-2020, 11:36 AM

What has this guitar been through more generally is what I would be asking myself. Run away. That is some nasty looking damage. I wonder how many broken braces it has...

There’s character on a guitar, and then there’s what we’re seeing in those pictures.

Good luck
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 05-30-2020, 11:43 AM

On second thought, the guitar might have only had a small encounter with Wolverine. No big deal.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 05-30-2020, 12:24 PM
Charter Member

Gryphon has the same guitar in excellent condition for 1899 so skip it

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion