The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-29-2020, 08:46 PM

Default Lowden O Hiscox case

Does anyone know what series of Hiscox cases were used for the Lowden O guitars in the 90s? I was looking at one and it appears that it may be a GAD that would fit a dreadnought. Is that possible?
Old 05-29-2020, 08:58 PM

My O25c is a 1999. It came in a Hiscox case. The lining of the case came unglued over time, and when I tried to get it repaired, the guy told me the inside was just crumbling apart and it was not repairable. I ordered another Lowden branded case from their website and it fits perfectly. I doubt a dreadnaught case would fit a Lowden O.

Given that experience, I can't say I'm a fan of Hiscox cases. I emailed them several times asking if there was a solution and they never responded. I wouln't choose one if given a choice, but I don't think anything else that will fit the guitar. It's your call, maybe a jumbo case would fit?

Last edited by jklotz; 05-29-2020 at 09:04 PM.
Old 05-29-2020, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
My O25c is a 1999. It came in a Hiscox case. The lining of the case came unglued over time, and when I tried to get it repaired, the guy told me the inside was just crumbling apart and it was not repairable. I ordered another Lowden branded case from their website and it fits perfectly. I doubt a dreadnaught case would fit a Lowden O.

Given that experience, I can't say I'm a fan of Hiscox cases. I emailed them several times asking if there was a solution and they never responded. I wouln't choose one if given a choice, but I don't think anything else that will fit the guitar. It's your call, maybe a jumbo case would fit?

I’m a little surprised at the lack of response from Hiscox. My experience is that they are an honourable company and have replied to me when I’ve had queries (usually after a couple of weeks though...!).

I’ve had the case for my Guild D35 for over 30 years and it’s still going strong...

The staff at Hiscox should be able to help OP with the search for the right case - mail them and be patient!
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 05-30-2020, 12:35 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7w66KBNtx8A lot has changed since the 90's regarding the construction of Hiscox Cases.

I have used them exclusively since 2004, and the ones from that era are still going strong, apart from the accessory pocket flaps that wore loose, but they have even improved the design of that in later models.

When looking for a replacement case for my 000-18 I noticed that Hiscox have quietly added an additional latch to the back of the case, it was reported that this was due to a slight gap forming in some cases.

Overall, if you want total protection from damage, temperature and water ingress then dollar for dollar nothing comes close to a Hiscox case.

Bet you couldn't guess I'm a fan of the brand!

Check out its protection here.

I consider myself to be a great player;.... pity my ears and fingers disagree!!!!!!

Last edited by leeplaysblues; 05-30-2020 at 01:43 AM.
Old 05-30-2020, 01:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I emailed them several times asking if there was a solution and they never responded.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pieterh View Post
I’m a little surprised at the lack of response from Hiscox. My experience is that they are an honourable company and have replied to me when I’ve had queries (usually after a couple of weeks though...!).......

......The staff at Hiscox should be able to help OP with the search for the right case - mail them and be patient!
There’s been a little thing called ‘the Covid-19 pandemic’ going on for the past three months or so. All ‘non-essential’ businesses in the UK have been closed down by order of the government for the past eight or nine weeks. Many try to keep up with correspondence by home-working, but delays are inevitable when workers are working away from the usual environment.

The lockdown is starting to be eased a little now, and some businesses are beginning to get back nearer to normal, but I’m guessing it’ll be a few weeks before we’re completely out of lockdown. It’s been very difficult for businesses here this past two months, I’d recommend you cut the Hiscox guys a bit of slack until life gets back to normal. They are indeed an honourable company, I’m sure you’ll get a response once we’re over this thing.

In answer to the original question, no the GAD case doesn’t fit the Lowden ‘O’-model. They do have a ‘Jumbo’ case which is made to fit the oversized Gibson guitars like the SJ-200...I think a Lowden ‘O’ would be a loose fit in one of those

https://www.hiscoxcases.com/product/...c-guitar-case/

The best solution would be to order the correct-sized case for your guitar direct from The Lowden Guitar Co.

https://shop-gb.lowdenguitars.com/collections/cases

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)

Last edited by JayBee1404; 05-30-2020 at 01:39 AM.
Old 05-30-2020, 03:50 AM

Quote:

There is no doubt that the modern Hiscox cases are far superior to the early ones.
I agree regarding the size, I think Hiscox make a special size for Lowden.
Old 05-30-2020, 04:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Kindnes View Post
There is no doubt that the modern Hiscox cases are far superior to the early ones.
I agree regarding the size, I think Hiscox make a special size for Lowden.
^^^^^^
Yep, THIS!

Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Old 05-30-2020, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
There’s been a little thing called ‘the Covid-19 pandemic’ going on for the past three months or so. All ‘non-essential’ businesses in the UK have been closed down by order of the government for the past eight or nine weeks. Many try to keep up with correspondence by home-working, but delays are inevitable when workers are working away from the usual environment.
This was last year, probably 6 months before anybody ever heard about covid19.
Old 05-30-2020, 09:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
This was last year, probably 6 months before anybody ever heard about covid19.
Your earlier post doesn’t say when it was.

Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Old 05-30-2020, 09:45 AM

I was looking at a Hiscox case that was with a Lowden guitar. The guy selling the case put a d28 in it and took a picture. It looks like a pretty good fit, but I’m not 100% certain that it is exactly right. I’ve never had a Hiscox case and am not sure how snug they are supposed to fit. He says it doesn’t appear to move around any. Anyone have any good advice?
Old 05-30-2020, 09:59 AM

The hard part may be actually getting one from Hiscox. I ordered a Dread case around early Feburary and it was backordered to June 2020 before the whole pandemic started. If you have to order one be ready to wait.
Old 05-30-2020, 10:01 AM

When I ordered my case from Lowden, pre pandemic mind you, it arrived from Ireland to Atlanta in less than a week.
Old 05-30-2020, 10:38 AM

I’m trying to see if a Lowden O Case would fit my D41 Special. It appeared to fit the guys D28 pretty well. That’s the info I’m really after.
Old 05-30-2020, 11:25 AM
Charter Member

My Lowden O-25 did not fit in the Hiscox GAD case which I bought for my Martin HD-28V. My F-23 barely fits in that case, and it’s smaller than an ‘O’. The Hiscox GAD case is not suitable for a Lowden ‘O’, you need the correct size case which Lowden carry on their website.

Turf guy, why a Lowden-monogrammed ‘O’ case for a Martin Dread? The Lowden ‘O’ case is on the big-side for a Dread, it’s a very loose fit - too loose for comfort AFAIC. You need a GAD case, mine is a perfect fit for my Martin Dreads.

Those are my personal, real-life experiences.

Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)

Last edited by JayBee1404; 05-30-2020 at 02:22 PM.
Old 05-30-2020, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GD_NC View Post
The hard part may be actually getting one from Hiscox. I ordered a Dread case around early Feburary and it was backordered to June 2020 before the whole pandemic started. If you have to order one be ready to wait.

If you can’t get one direct from Hiscox you could try Thomann. They sell pretty much the entire range...
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion