The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2020, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
We have one healthy 37 year old fighting for his life in Hawaii. Stories like this should be headlined so the young wake the hell up.
We've posted herein previously but just under 50% of COVID-19 hospitalized critical patients are under 54.
Old 03-27-2020, 07:06 PM

US almost at 400 dead today? Uh, oh...
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 03-27-2020, 07:09 PM

Sadly Rob, I feel that number will seem paltry in a week.
Old 03-27-2020, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post

All because people refuse to practice social distancing. Just yesterday I drove by Costco because I live really close to one. The place was open for over two hours by then, and the line was circling the building. People are willing to get infected just to see if they can score that coveted toilet paper and sanitizing wipes. Natural selection will definitely run its course.
Old 03-27-2020, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
Yes, that was my "uh oh".
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 03-27-2020, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
...Costco because I live really close to one. The place was open for over two hours by then, and the line was circling the building.
I heard exactly the same report from a friend of mine who went over for the "early bird" senior shopping time around 6am. He said exactly the same thing. Additionally, the line wasn't moving because they already had too many people in the building at the time.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-27-2020, 07:52 PM

Where I live in the borough near what is called NYC's epicenter , generally there were a number of families who bought in bulk from places like Costco any way, probably saved gas before this.

I haven't been out in 12 days but I did see news videos of a similar line around the block for a popular grocery. They aren't showing any of the senior hours they say they have in gocery stores. Online they have been out of tp, paper towels, diapers and wipes around here in large stores like Kmart, Target for weeks.

There is a calculator online if anyone wanyts it it: https://howmuchtoiletpaper.com/
Old 03-27-2020, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBD View Post
On the death rate, here is my non-scientific observation.

Many celebrities, sports figures, politicians...famous people have contracted this virus. Forrest Gump even got it. Senators. World leaders. What are the odds that so many well known people have contracted this virus if it is not exponentially more widespread than is being reported?

I suspect many many millions have or have had this virus and either never even felt sick or assumed they just had a cold or flu.

Deaths, on the other hand, are a lot easier to see and report. So IMO these death rates are EXTREMELY inflated because the ratio of deaths/cases is only based on CONFIRMED cases. In my opinion the number of ACTUAL cases has to be gigantic.

Of course I could be wrong.
I agree that many, many Americans are likely to have been infected already, but it’s true that actors, politicians and entertainers are a very touchy-feely group that travels a ton more than most of us.

I do agree, though, with your overall point.
Old 03-27-2020, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MChild62 View Post
I can understand that because of film and television many people have stereotypes of Italy and Italians. But I don't think it is a good idea to use them to reach any conclusions about a public health crisis. A friend of mine posted the following comment on Facebook a couple of weeks ago, which I gladly share:

"Frankly speaking, the more I read news and articles on the Corona Virus and its spread across the Italian regions.. the more I realize that very few people know us in depth. We have an incredible culture and different resources of many kinds. The overall infrastructure is one of the best in the World. We are innovation leaders in different fields, technologies, and R&D. Our brands are btw the strongest globally. Maybe, just to be fair, we are not so good to "sell" all of this to the others. This is because we focus on the substance and the quality of our things. Anyway nothing to do with what you get from the media which is just a mix of 18-century bias. Thanks God, our diversity has been, is, and will be our biggest strength."
What’s NOT a stereotype is that Italians DO have more parents and elders living in the same home with adult kids, as compared to other countries like Germany, France or the US. So, more spreading of the virus to a more vulnerable population.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj...ly-11585058566
Old 03-27-2020, 09:07 PM

There was an article ina British online newspaper has made the same point about politicians - citing boris Johnson as an example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Beamish View Post
I agree that many, many Americans are likely to have been infected already, but it’s true that actors, politicians and entertainers are a very touchy-feely group that travels a ton more than most of us.

I do agree, though, with your overall point.
Old 03-27-2020, 09:15 PM

I think the point made by mchild is that the medical infrastructure of the Lombardy area is world class. I read a British report that said they had twice as many icu beds as the uk per capita. Therefore it is likely they have deeper medical resources than the united states in general. Despite that they were overwhelmed in short order.
Though the death rate is accelerated by the greater population density and larger number of older citizens, the commonality with the UK and usa is the general failure to practise social distancing as a whole which allowed the virus to infect more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Beamish View Post
What’s NOT a stereotype is that Italians DO have more parents and elders living in the same home with adult kids, as compared to other countries like Germany, France or the US. So, more spreading of the virus to a more vulnerable population.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj...ly-11585058566
Old 03-28-2020, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBD View Post
On the death rate, here is my non-scientific observation.

Many celebrities, sports figures, politicians...famous people have contracted this virus. Forrest Gump even got it. Senators. World leaders. What are the odds that so many well known people have contracted this virus if it is not exponentially more widespread than is being reported?

I suspect many many millions have or have had this virus and either never even felt sick or assumed they just had a cold or flu.

Deaths, on the other hand, are a lot easier to see and report. So IMO these death rates are EXTREMELY inflated because the ratio of deaths/cases is only based on CONFIRMED cases. In my opinion the number of ACTUAL cases has to be gigantic.

Of course I could be wrong.
Bingo.
And the more you test the higher the numbers go. How come we are not reporting the numbers that test positive but do not need any more care than if you had another virus (ie. flu or cold virus)
That news doesn’t drive an agenda
Martin D-16e
Goldtone CCR100 Banjo
Fender Albert Hammond Jr. Strat
Fender Player limited edition Cherry Burst Strat
Fender Squire Classic Vibe Tele
Old 03-28-2020, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracerbullet View Post
Bingo.
And the more you test the higher the numbers go. How come we are not reporting the numbers that test positive but do not need any more care than if you had another virus (ie. flu or cold virus)
To be fair, most of what I have read usually mentions hospitalization rates, which is the same data as infected but sent home.
Old 03-28-2020, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracerbullet View Post
Bingo.
Interesting, I see it all the time. Multiple links have been posted here with that data.
Old 03-28-2020, 05:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJoker View Post
Interesting, I see it all the time. Multiple links have been posted here with that data.
Me too, I see it all the time.

On another note, having a test kit like a pregnancy test that was widely distributed seems like it would be a game changer. People who have the antibody might have more freedom to Help & keep things moving. Easier said than done, but it seems like a good target.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic