The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Harp Guitar

Old 08-08-2019, 03:46 PM
Charter Member

Default Got to be Talented To Play Harp Guitar

Or not? I found it a pretty easy transition form a 6 string guitar. Maybe because I also have played bass guitar in the past. What's your take. Easy or difficult?
Old 08-09-2019, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I have next to no long term experience playing a harp guitar but from what little I do have, I think the hardest thing is muting the subs when you need to. I think that it takes practice and good technique to really showcase what a harp guitar can do and sound musically pleasing. Maybe one day I'll try it out again but I'll stick with 6 strings for now.

Best,
Jayne
Old 08-12-2019, 11:38 AM

The reason I don't have a harp guitar is because there's just too darn many choices that I would like to play. I might get one someday. I played around on an X20 Synergy for a few days through a loan from Alistair. I loved it. I also loved the uke harp and several others I tried out. I even put money down on a custom guitar, but decided not to go the harp guitar route this time.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 08-30-2019, 02:12 PM

In general I think the transition isn't too difficult, as mentioned above the toughest part of bringing the harp guitar to life is managing your sub-bass strings in terms of muting; too many strings active will generally sound very bad. Simpler songs (eg. Into the Ocean by Andy Mckee) that require less muting due to simpler bass melodies are very approachable .

The only other thing that could complicate learning the harp guitar would be ensuring you don't accidentally mute the bass strings when they need to be sustained. This will depend on where you anchor your right hand to your normal 6-string.

A veteran of the acoustic guitar could make the transition with relative ease, depending on experience i would think .

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Harp Guitar