The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-22-2020, 02:07 PM

Default Taylor DN series

Hi everyone, I was hoping someone had info on the Taylor DN series. Specifically what years they were made and what woods were used. I have tried searching but I cant seem to get much info. Is it right to assume they were all made in the USA?
Thanks
Old 01-22-2020, 03:19 PM

I’m pretty sure they were discontinued around 2013. They were basically the non-cutaway versions of each body shape in a given series. I owned a DN8 and a DN7, both were spruce/rosewood dreads with 800 series and 700 series appointments, respectively. They made GA, GC, DN, GS and GO versions in pretty much every level from 300 on up. All solid woods and always made in El Cajon. You can search an archive on Taylor’s website and glean some information on each model.

1998 Very Sweet Wife
2000 Cute Daughter (Grand Concert)
2005 Handsome Son (Dreadnought)
2007 Lovely Daughter (Parlor)
2017 Cute Puppy (Duke the Uke)
Old 01-22-2020, 03:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt McGriff View Post
...They were basically the non-cutaway versions of each body shape in a given series. I owned a DN8 and a DN7, both were spruce/rosewood dreads with 800 series and 700 series appointments, respectively. They made GA, GC, DN, GS and GO versions in pretty much every level from 300 on up. All solid woods and always made in El Cajon...
The DNs and X10s were designations for Taylor dreadnoughts. For some reason, Taylor switched to the letter designation for various models and then switched back to the numerical model designation. Not long after he'd joined the Taylor team, Andy Powers spoke at the Acoustifest at Melodee Music in Sterling, VA. I posed the question about dropping the numerical designation for the letter designation and then returning to the numerical model designation. He said, "Frankly we made a mistake and then corrected it." I liked him for his honesty...

Last edited by RP; 01-22-2020 at 03:53 PM.
Old 01-22-2020, 04:21 PM
Charter Member

All made in USA between 2006 - 2013. Fantastic, all acoustic (no electronics) instruments from Taylor. I've owned two DN3's, and in my opinion, the DN3 (spruce/sapele) is one of Taylor's best model's over the last 20 years. The number after the DN denotes the wood combo. It corresponds to the first (310, 810, etc.) numeral in the standard Taylor line up (3=spruce/sapele; 4=spruce/ovangkol; 8=spruce/rosewood, etc., etc.). Make sense?
Old 01-22-2020, 08:05 PM

Thanks everyone for the quick replies!
Old 01-22-2020, 09:02 PM

Agree that the DN3 was Taylor’s BEST sounding guitar, regardless of price.

Rb
Old 01-22-2020, 09:05 PM

I had a DN 3 up until about a year ago, and sold it on Reverb. I recently saw that they have several for sale. It was a great sounding/playing affordable Taylor, for sure.
LarryK

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion