The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-22-2020, 02:27 PM

Default Looking for portable acoustic amp recommendations

I want to streamline plugging in at small venues like coffee shops and at home. Currently I use 1 of my yamaha DXR 12 inch speakers with a Yamaha powered mixer. I then have a pedalboard between my guitar and the mixer. I’m wanting a small acoustic amp that can pack a decent punch and handle guitar and vocals. It must have the following:
2 channels (1 of which XLR)
EQ and reverb
DI out option
As small a footprint as possible
Reliable and decent build quality

I’ve looked at and considered l:
Fishman loudbox Mini - only concern is lack of feedback control but at the volumes It puts out would I need feedback control?

Orange 30 crush - like that it’s battery powered as an option but concerned 30w is very little power. Anyone heard one or demoed one? I appreciate they are relatively new

Fender amps - the older style 90 watt and the newer 100 acoustasonic. Heard they are difficult to dial in a decent tone quickly and easily.

Like the look of the new Boss singer LT and Blackstar.Should I wait?

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Old 01-22-2020, 02:33 PM

Get the Fishman. It's the best acoustic amp I've ever owned. Also, admittedly, the only one. Feedback has never been a problem for me with it.

Now, with the Bluetooth and battery options available the original ones got much less costly. I picked mine up practically brand new condition for $200 last year.
Old 01-22-2020, 04:31 PM

I have a LB Mini and it will do what you want. I've found the quality of the vocals is boosted tremendously by running a TC R1 before the amp. Not just for the stellar 'verbs- the preamp helps a lot.

Then I had the thought that if R1 has earned a spot on the pedalboard along with the guitar effects why not skip the amp and run straight into a compact powered speaker like the CP8? I'm using a RCF 310a right now but any decent powered speaker will be way clearer and deeper than a acoustic amp and it's easier to elevate it.
Old 01-22-2020, 04:44 PM

Big yes to Fishman mini

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

No tubes, No capos, No Problems.
Old 01-22-2020, 05:01 PM
Charter Member

Fishman LB Artist for me.
Old 01-22-2020, 05:28 PM
Charter Member

Schertler David. Weigh 20 lb. You can get a gig bag with a shoulder strap for it.

It's got a socket hole in the bottom for a pole mount.

Phantom power on the XLR channel.
Old 01-22-2020, 06:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Band Guitar View Post
Big yes to Fishman mini
And another big yes....
Old 01-22-2020, 07:59 PM

Fishman Mini is the best amp for the money, hands down. I've given all three a fair go - Mini, Artist, Performer - and the Mini sounded the best to my ears. If I need more volume, DI out to a powered speaker. The only amp I've tried that I thought sounded nicer than the Mini is the Genzler Acoustic Array Pro. That thing is amazing, but it is also 3x the price.
Old 01-22-2020, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWJ915 View Post
Fishman Mini is the best amp for the money, hands down. I've given all three a fair go - Mini, Artist, Performer - and the Mini sounded the best to my ears. If I need more volume, DI out to a powered speaker. The only amp I've tried that I thought sounded nicer than the Mini is the Genzler Acoustic Array Pro. That thing is amazing, but it is also 3x the price.
As is that Schertler David above.
Old 01-22-2020, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWJ915 View Post
I agree. The Mini sounds warmer.
Old 01-22-2020, 09:15 PM

The Fishman Loudbox should be the best solution at that price range

Grace Felix
L.R.Baggs Mixpro
Zoom A3

Trace Elliot TA40CR
Henriksen the Bud ten
Old 01-22-2020, 09:47 PM

I know you want to streamline. Out of curiosity, are you disappointed with the DXR12's sound?
Old 01-23-2020, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
I know you want to streamline. Out of curiosity, are you disappointed with the DXR12's sound?
Not at all disappointed. I use 2 DXRs usually and I think they sound great. Some of the places I play in though are tiny! Space gets a bit cramped. Plus I want something to leave out in my Lounge for plugging into that tucks away in the corner a bit better than a 12inch powered speaker. I’m still keeping my full PA this is just something to run alongside it.

Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Old 01-23-2020, 01:03 AM

Thanks everyone I’ve found a special edition loudbox Mini which I’m going to order and give it a go!

Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Old 01-23-2020, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick84 View Post
Not at all disappointed. I use 2 DXRs usually and I think they sound great. Some of the places I play in though are tiny! Space gets a bit cramped. Plus I want something to leave out in my Lounge for plugging into that tucks away in the corner a bit better than a 12inch powered speaker. I’m still keeping my full PA this is just something to run alongside it.
Gotcha. Thanks. Eventually I will be upgrading my powered 12s and was curious about the DXRs, so thanks for your reply. Good luck in finding the solution.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification