The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-20-2020, 01:05 PM

Default Stanly Bridge Patent

Does anyone happen to know of any guitars with this metal bridge style?

Patent US2029135

https://patents.google.com/patent/US2029135

This would not be difficult to do if anyone is interested
in trying one modified with normal saddle insert.
Old 01-20-2020, 02:03 PM

Why would anyone want to? What is the perceived benefit, other than being pin-less and potentially faster string changes?
Old 01-21-2020, 12:36 AM
Charter Member

Its kinda intriguing - you could rout 3 small elongated holes in the top, finish the while thing, then drop the bridge/saddle onto the top and be able to fine adjust intonation and tighten down the nuts. Never worry about glue bonds failing, and just have to take it into the shop to have the bolts re-torqued every 25 string changes -
Old 01-21-2020, 02:10 AM

On a standard steel string tensions are quite high. The end of the string is lodged beneath 1) the bridge 2) the soundboard and 3) the bridge plate. In total approx 3/4” of wood.

This patent has it lodged under about 3/8” and would contribute to the bridge being pulled off the soundboard In a reasonably short few years.
Old 01-21-2020, 11:45 AM
Charter Member

I’m not advocating for this design, but the bridge pulling up (through) the top is not my first concern - I’d be more concerned with the tone a solid metal bridge would impart, and the weight it would add to a top. It’s an industrial solution to a mass production problem - not really an attempt to improve the response and tone of a guitar -
Old 01-21-2020, 12:55 PM

Some say the bolts are a tone killer, and the thin areas between the strings ball ends, will wear through and make the bridge useless in no time.

Ed
Old 01-22-2020, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgar Poe View Post
. . .the thin areas between the strings ball ends, will wear through and make the bridge useless in no time.

Ed
Not likely -- these nasty old things are cast metal (pot metal, I suppose). They're heavy enough to constitute a significant mute on acoustic tone. Never saw a broken one; have seen warped ones - on cheap Hawaiian style guitars.

They tend ot have a cool black wrinkle finish paint job. . .

Frank Ford
Old 01-22-2020, 11:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Ford View Post
Not likely -- these nasty old things are cast metal (pot metal, I suppose). They're heavy enough to constitute a significant mute on acoustic tone. Never saw a broken one; have seen warped ones - on cheap Hawaiian style guitars.

Thats pretty interesting - have you ever had the chance to replace one with a “standard” bridge, and noted the difference?
Old 01-24-2020, 12:42 PM

Default how about this ? anyone want to test it ?

I made a "Martin" style in Magnesium. Three 4-40 screws and a metal bridge plate to attach metal, wood, metal. No way one could crack the wood with tapered wedge pins. as light as ebony. solves problems.
Old 01-24-2020, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Ford View Post

My mistake, I thought they were wooden. Solid metal, even more so a tone killer. They will however last forever.

Ed

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair