The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-31-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big jilm View Post
Yeah, man - hauling gear is a drag. Let me ask - you say you run just one QSC. Where do you set it up so you can hear it without getting feedback?

Thanks!
Without spending money, you can plug your guitar and vocal mic directly into your K12 and get an idea how it responds.

hunter
Old 12-31-2017, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Yeah, man - hauling gear is a drag. Let me ask - you say you run just one QSC. Where do you set it up so you can hear it without getting feedback?

Thanks!
For solo gigs I setup a 12" speaker cab behind me on a pole and it works great as a main and a monitor. If I need more coverage I bring a second speaker but for a lot of the places I play one speaker is all I need
Old 12-31-2017, 01:37 PM

Fishman SA330. No outboard mixer needed. No mixer stand to deal with. No speaker cables. Fewest components, lightest weight, height of speaker array is adjustable to suit different environments, and quality sound which can be expanded with the optional bass module if ever required. Similarly, the optional 4-channel expander allows the system to accommodate additional inputs if needed, without a separate power supply.

Last edited by GmanJeff; 12-31-2017 at 03:20 PM.
Old 12-31-2017, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the responses - good food for thought here. Also, thanks JakeStone for the link to the Bose/Fishman thread. Interesting reading, for sure - with a ton of love for the Bose systems.

I think I really want to try that Bose L1c - it really ticks all the boxes. Lightweight, easy to carry, no need for a monitor. Price wise, snapping up a mixer and using my QSC K12 really appeals. Fixing my Fishman Loudbox is also probably gonna happen - I only hesitate because I was never in love with the sound I was getting. Definitely useable, and it’s been a workhorse for me for a long time, but it always sounded kinda cold and brittle to me.

Anyway, a lot of good reading here while I woodshed to get my songs and solo chops together.

Thanks! Any other thoughts/advice are appreciated.

The Bose L1c is on sale now at Bose.com, $849.99 through midnight tomorrow ... i e, the rest of this year.
2015 Northwood R-80 MJ
Old 12-31-2017, 02:16 PM

I was at a resturant Thursday night and there was a guy playing live there.
1 guitar
1 speaker/amp that had several line in jacks and plenty of knobs for levels... P
1 mic + stand
1 bar stool
And a small bag with a pedal or 2, cords, probably a few tools, and whatever else he needed.

And that's it...

I think with the right all in one - you could probably plug in 4+ inputs as needed and do some light onboard mixing... So you could cover a duet with 2 instruments and 2 singers easy enough without needing a giant truck full of gear
Old 01-01-2018, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
i don't miss my electric band days. i was
much younger then and hauling around
all that pa was still a chore.
i think your on the right track with the k12
and a mixer. i work in a trio and also do a solo
act. my solo setup is one k10 and a mackie board
with built in effects. and it is plenty loud for
the largest venue i play . (about 150 people in a hard room)
i would ditch the amp or just use it as a monitor.
i either mic my guitar or use a pup and a preamp
or both. if the k12 gets to heavy for you you
can get a k10 without losing too much low end.
that's what we did.
Quote:

Thanks!
yea well i don't use a monitor when i play solo.
generally. i lower the volume during sound chk
and turn the speaker toward me. i then eq guitar
and vocal mix. then turn the speaker toward FOH.
Then turn up the volume. i can hear it well enough
to play and i can hear the guit/vocal mix. mostly
the k10 is in front of me i don't get feedback.and
get compliments from musicians on my sound frequently.
so i guess it sounds ok..
i also have this folding dolly (magna brand) that folds down about
1foot by 3 ft by 3 inch. fits anywhere in the hatchback. it will haul
most of my stuff in two trips.

Last edited by varmonter; 01-01-2018 at 07:55 AM.
Old 01-01-2018, 11:28 AM

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I think I am going to get a small mixer big enough for a duo and just run the QSC for now - I need some time to work up my set and get my acoustic chops up anyway.

Researching the Soundcraft Notebook-12fx and the Allen and Heath Zedi10fx now. Soundcraft is 100 bucks cheaper, so I am trying to figure out why I would choose the A&H over the Soundcraft as we speak.

I do wish I had the disposable cash for the Bose, though.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
La Michoacana Classical (my Dad's guitar)
Beat to heck Seagull S6
Ovation Celebrity 12 string
Fender CD 60 dread that lives in Greece
Harmonicas in a Farmer rack
Old 01-01-2018, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the replies, everyone. I think I am going to get a small mixer big enough for a duo and just run the QSC for now - I need some time to work up my set and get my acoustic chops up anyway.

Researching the Soundcraft Notebook-12fx and the Allen and Heath Zedi10fx now. Soundcraft is 100 bucks cheaper, so I am trying to figure out why I would choose the A&H over the Soundcraft as we speak.

I do wish I had the disposable cash for the Bose, though.
I have a Soundcraft Notebook 8fx and an A&H Zed 10fx and an A&H Zed 60-14fx.

I've had the Soundcraft for a short time and the Zeds for a few years.

The Zeds have proven to be reliable, I prefer the USB, EQ and FX features on the Zed. My two Zeds can be setup as a Master and a Slave mixer, this gives me options when setting up for added musicians, mics and for stage setups. I do sample home recordings with my Zed via the USB to my PC. All channels on the Zed record, as far as I can tell, only two channels on the Soundcraft will record via the USB. Tone wise, I haven't done an apple to apple test. My 10 fx is setup on my main PA that I use for recording, practice and gigs. I've never had any complaints about sound quality when gigging with the Zeds. My full gig setup is, Guitar-Pedal Board-Zed-Pair of Yamaha DBR12 for the mains and a DBR10 for the monitor. The Soundcraft, as mentioned in previous post is setup with lesser quality gear, yet the sound is good. The Soundcraft doesn't have an on/off button, I have it connected to a power strip that does. I haven't yet used the Soundcraft live, it will be another week before I use it for hosting an open mic.

I use to have an Alesis Multimix USB 8fx. The Soundcraft is very quiet, no hiss, whereas the Alesis was noisy.

EDIT:
For the past few hours I've been doing head to head testing between the Soundcraft Notebook 8fx and the Zed 10fx. The Zed wins by a good margin. I've used a number of different configuration with and without pedals, external eq's, acoustic amps, different guitars with different types of pickups and different speakers. I can't get the Soundcraft to sound as good as the Zed by just plugging straight into the Zed and using a single Yamaha DBR12. The eq's on the Zed are superior to the Soundcraft. If the Soundcraft that you're looking to get is just a larger version of the one I have, I would say, spend the extra hundred bucks and get the Allen and Heath.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

"Sometimes I play a song I never heard before" Thelonious Monk

Last edited by Irish Pennant; 01-01-2018 at 07:20 PM.
Old 01-01-2018, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Pennant View Post
I have a Soundcraft Notebook 8fx and an A&H Zed 10fx and an A&H Zed 60-14fx.

I've had the Soundcraft for a short time and the Zeds for a few years.

The Zeds have proven to be reliable, I prefer the USB, EQ and FX features on the Zed. My two Zeds can be setup as a Master and a Slave mixer, this gives me options when setting up for added musicians, mics and for stage setups. I do sample home recordings with my Zed via the USB to my PC. All channels on the Zed record, as far as I can tell, only two channels on the Soundcraft will record via the USB. Tone wise, I haven't done an apple to apple test. My 10 fx is setup on my main PA that I use for recording, practice and gigs. I've never had any complaints about sound quality when gigging with the Zeds. My full gig setup is, Guitar-Pedal Board-Zed-Pair of Yamaha DBR12 for the mains and a DBR10 for the monitor. The Soundcraft, as mentioned in previous post is setup with lesser quality gear, yet the sound is good. The Soundcraft doesn't have an on/off button, I have it connected to a power strip that does. I haven't yet used the Soundcraft live, it will be another week before I use it for hosting an open mic.

I use to have an Alesis Multimix USB 8fx. The Soundcraft is very quiet, no hiss, whereas the Alesis was noisy.

EDIT:
For the past few hours I've been doing head to head testing between the Soundcraft Notebook 8fx and the Zed 10fx. The Zed wins by a good margin. I've used a number of different configuration with and without pedals, external eq's, acoustic amps, different guitars with different types of pickups and different speakers. I can't get the Soundcraft to sound as good as the Zed by just plugging straight into the Zed and using a single Yamaha DBR12. The eq's on the Zed are superior to the Soundcraft. If the Soundcraft that you're looking to get is just a larger version of the one I have, I would say, spend the extra hundred bucks and get the Allen and Heath.
Thanks for the info! Looking at the Soundcraft Notepad 12fx and the Allen and Heath Zedi10fx. Is the reverb on the A&H as good as the Lexicon reverb on the Soundcraft?

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Beat to heck Seagull S6
Old 01-01-2018, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info! Looking at the Soundcraft Notepad 12fx and the Allen and Heath Zedi10fx. Is the reverb on the A&H as good as the Lexicon reverb on the Soundcraft?
IMO the Zed's FX is better. It offers more choices and they are easy to dial in. I think that overall the Zed is built better. I think the Notepad series is Soundcrafts low end model and it's not quite fair to compare this model to the Zed. Soundcraft has other models that are in competition with the Zed, the Notepad isn't one of them. I not going to say I'm disappointed in the Soundcraft, for the price point I'm getting what I paid for, I was just hoping for more because of the brand name.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

"Sometimes I play a song I never heard before" Thelonious Monk

Last edited by Irish Pennant; 01-01-2018 at 07:46 PM.
Old 01-01-2018, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Pennant View Post
IMO the Zed's FX is better. It offers more choices and they are easy to dial in. I think that overall the Zed is built better. I think the Notepad series is Soundcrafts low end model and it's not quite fair to compare this model to the Zed. Soundcraft has other models that are in competition with the Zed, the Notepad isn't one of them. I not going to say I'm disappointed in the Soundcraft, for the price point I'm getting what I paid for, I was just hoping for more because of the brand name.
Thanks much for the info - I think “buy once cry once” on this one might apply. I think I will pick up the A&H Zed i10fx. Use this with my QSC K12 on a pole. If gigs start coming in maybe I will think about moving some stuff to look into the Bose, but I’ll just lay out the 250 for the mixer and run with it for now.

Thanks!

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Beat to heck Seagull S6
Old 01-01-2018, 09:43 PM

Allen & Heath ZED is hard to beat.

Before you buy a Bose, check out the LD Systems Maui 11 G2. It’s what I use for solo and trio acoustic work. I love it. Plenty of power and fantastic sound. Quality German engineering.

I run my ZED into it and love my set up.

I did the late night rock band thing for many years. Switched to acoustic about 6 years ago and have never looked back. Where I live, there’s a strong market for acoustic acts and I love the simple setup and earlier hours!!!

2010 Taylor 814ce
2008 Taylor 816ce
2008 Taylor 426ce LTD (Tasmanian blackwood)

LR Baggs Venue
Ditto X2 Looper
TC Helicon H1 Harmony Pedal
Allen & Heath ZED 10FX
LD Systems Maui 11 G2
JBL EON ONE Compact
iPad with OnSong

My Facebook Music Page
My YouTube Page
Old 01-01-2018, 10:16 PM

Hey Stratcat. Nice set up. My eyes focused on the stool you have set up. Looks very interesting.... What is the brand/model. Is it comfortable to sit on for 2-3 hours?
Old 01-02-2018, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratcat77 View Post
Allen & Heath ZED is hard to beat.

Before you buy a Bose, check out the LD Systems Maui 11 G2. It’s what I use for solo and trio acoustic work. I love it. Plenty of power and fantastic sound. Quality German engineering.

I run my ZED into it and love my set up.

I did the late night rock band thing for many years. Switched to acoustic about 6 years ago and have never looked back. Where I live, there’s a strong market for acoustic acts and I love the simple setup and earlier hours!!!

What a beautiful setup! I love the clean look of your amp, man. Great looking guitars as well. I agree with the poster above - tell us about that stool!

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Beat to heck Seagull S6
Old 01-02-2018, 06:02 AM

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...SABEgJ2-_D_BwE

I like it. Here’s how I use it with one foot in the floor. Works for me.

2010 Taylor 814ce
2008 Taylor 816ce
2008 Taylor 426ce LTD (Tasmanian blackwood)

LR Baggs Venue
Ditto X2 Looper
TC Helicon H1 Harmony Pedal
Allen & Heath ZED 10FX
LD Systems Maui 11 G2
JBL EON ONE Compact
iPad with OnSong

My Facebook Music Page
My YouTube Page

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification