The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 03-11-2019, 12:31 PM

Default New Parlour Guitar

This is a new shape for me, but not a new shape. Lol. Based on an early Gibson Nick Lucas model. 13.8" lower bout. 13 fret to body neck.
EIR body, torrfied sitka top, flamed maple binding. X brace/lattice braced top, adjustable walnut/birdseye maple neck, bound ebony FB, EIR bridge.
I wanted a small guitar to round out my catalogue. While I have made a 00 shape before, and can again, this shape has always appealed to me, with the full lower bout and 4 3/8' deep a the tail block to give a fuller bass than expected in a small guitar. (I hope). I am pleased with the visuals of this guitar, and look forward to hearing its voice. Russ Parker http://rgpguitars.ca
Old 03-12-2019, 08:55 AM
Charter Member

I love that original Nick Lucas body shape ... very very quirky and unique! Looking forward to watching this build thread Russ!
Old 03-12-2019, 02:26 PM

Thanks Dave.
Old 03-12-2019, 04:18 PM
AGF Sponsor

Interesting top bracing, Russ. Have you used this before? If so, what are your impressions?
Thanks,
Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 03-12-2019, 06:35 PM

Hi Steve.
Yes, I have used this on about 9 or 10 now I think without checking. I am very happy with it. It gives me a well balanced and big voiced guitar. Even on a 17" jumbo, it is not boomy, and responds well to fingernails or pick. The weight of the lattice is less than scalloped harmonic bars. I am guessing, I repeat, guessing that it provides a light but stable platform that promotes the up and down (monopole?) top vibration, and possibly reducing the torquing motion of the bridge. Can't prove it of course, except that people who play them say they are cannons, but hey, I want to believe them. Lol.
I first used it on classical guitars, 5 braces each way, and was so happy with it I adapted it to steel strings and haven't looked back.
I have used 3 x3, and 4x4 braces on steel strings and both work, the 3x3 giving a bigger sound and the 4x4 a slightly better mid range and sustain.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:46 AM

Well, here it is in finishing, waiting for it to cure before level sanding and polishing. Decided on a spalted maple ph, like em a lot. hopefully any potential buyers do too. lol.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:11 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Very nice. I have always appreciated smaller deep body guitars.

Best,
Jayne
Old 03-20-2019, 09:05 AM

Thanks Jayne. Let's hope more people do too. Lol. I like the way you describe your location. Makes it sound real beautiful.
Old 04-30-2019, 12:35 PM

[img]http]/img]
Well here it is finally finished. very happy with the results. a bigger, fuller sound than I expected, more bass response than I would have thought for a small 14" lower bout. The deeper body and torrefied spruce top helping with that I suppose. Now I have to get my web designer to put it on my website, and have him teach me to do that myself. LOL. rgpguitars.ca
Old 04-30-2019, 07:34 PM

Very nice, Russ. I really like building (and playing) these smaller bodied guitars. You need to get some higher resolution photos on here though, so we can really marvel!

You noted in my build thread how you struggle with time to update the forum. Adding a website to the mix can consume even more time you don't have! I took a few weeks from building around the end of the year to completely overhaul my website. I added a section for build blogs, which is something else I struggle with keeping current. Good luck!

Ken
Old 05-01-2019, 05:12 AM

Thanks Ken
You are right about the pics. I use a decent camera and post them to Imgur, but see the lack of detail especially when the strings look strange. I don't know if it is my lack of skill, or the process. I am not much of a photographer, or computer whiz I am afraid. Russ
Old 05-12-2019, 07:05 AM
Charter Member

Hey Russ ... have you formed any opinions about how a torrified top affects your tone?
Old 05-12-2019, 09:20 AM

great looking guitar and the description of you hybrid bracing is interesting. Of the pictures I have seen of Nick playing he is using a different shape than I see here. Maybe this is a later version of the Nick.
Old 05-13-2019, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wren View Post
Hey Russ ... have you formed any opinions about how a torrified top affects your tone?
Hi Dave. The Torrefied spruce definitely has a different sound. I feel it is warmer and fuller. Kinda wish I had used it on the 17" Cloud Cocobolo I made for myself recently. Been getting them from Bow river wood to works lately. Good quality and price. Splintery stuff though, quite brittle. Russ
Old 05-13-2019, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
great looking guitar and the description of you hybrid bracing is interesting. Of the pictures I have seen of Nick playing he is using a different shape than I see here. Maybe this is a later version of the Nick.
Thanks for looking. I believe the Nick model want through a couple of shapes and other changes, pin bridge, tailpiece, 13 or 14 fret neck, if memory serves. But my memory isn't stellar. Lol.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop