The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 05-29-2018, 01:40 PM

Gorgeous!

How light are we talking here? Have Steve and Ryan broken the 3 pound barrier?

Small guitars are the best
Old 05-29-2018, 02:19 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekutree64 View Post
Good guess. It does just tip over three pounds by two ounces. Ultimately there was even more weight that could have been saved (carbon tube instead of truss rod, lighter tuners, solid Spanish Cedar instead of laminated with wenge). While weight was a priority we didn’t squeeze every ounce, but if you would like us to try...

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 05-29-2018, 03:40 PM
Charter Member

Smile Drool...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacluth View Post
Good guess. It does just tip over three pounds by two ounces. Ultimately there was even more weight that could have been saved (carbon tube instead of truss rod, lighter tuners, solid Spanish Cedar instead of laminated with wenge). While weight was a priority we didn’t squeeze every ounce, but if you would like us to try...
Now if I could get John K to build a Round Peak under four pounds... guess I ought to weigh the last one! Haha

Way to go here folks!

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 05-29-2018, 03:56 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacluth View Post
That's really cool - it HAS to sound great!!

Old 05-29-2018, 07:14 PM
Charter Member

Incredibly beautiful guitar!
Congratulations.

Collings ~ Taylor ~ Martin
Old 05-29-2018, 07:27 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
That's really cool - it HAS to sound great!!
Todd, I just read the Charis Air write up you posted in the General section. To be fair to Christie, her final weight included the pickup. I think Bill’s SJ is a bigger body size than our 00, so quite impressive. It’s a fun challenge that is rewarding to think so critically about your normal steps. As a consequence, our standard guitars have all gotten a little lighter.

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 05-29-2018, 07:44 PM

Default But what a 'One!' it is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Congrats Christie on your new Kinnaird. I own just one Kinnaird which I understand may have provided some inspiration for yours. I certainly hope yours will grow on you like mine has on me. They only get better!
But what a One it is!! We all followed it closely - splendid.
Collings SJ Braz/Ger, 000-42Koa, UC3 Killer Koa
Jeffrey Yong's Seismic 2011 Japan Earthquake Tribute and a Quilt Mah "The Tree" Olson
Old 05-29-2018, 08:16 PM

I don't typically frequent the custom section of AGF (not sure why not) but I would like to just take a moment say that I found this thread inspiring.

Not only is it obviously a very fine, beautiful instrument.. (congratulations!) ... but I found the whole post heart-warming in general. both in the way you spoke of the Kinnaird shop, and especially in the regard that because they took your needs into consideration, you will be able to continue playing and enjoying something you're passionate about, where otherwise you may have not. (at least not comfortably). I feel privileged to have even read this post, as silly as that sounds, and just wanted to congratulate both the happy new owner and the builder(s). Cheers.

very best wishes,
Scott Campbell
Fishman | Loudbox Mini | Primetone 1.0mm

"what is the universe? the universe is a symphony of vibrating strings.." -michio kaku
Old 05-29-2018, 08:38 PM

Christie, I love the look of this guitar, and especially the dove where the fingerboard meets the soundhole - that is a wonderful detail!

Bashkin 00-12 Adi/Hog
Bashkin 0M-MS Swiss Moon/PRW(build thread)
Bashkin GC-12 Sitka/Koa
Carter-Poulsen J-Model German Select Spruce/MacEb
Fender MIJ Strat ('90) and 50s RW Tele ('19)
Martin 00-28c Spruce/BRW('67)
Martin M-36 (R) Sitka/EIR
Michaud O-R Cedar/Koa - New Build
Michaud J-R Sitka/MBW
K. Yairi RF-120 Spruce/EIR
KoAloha KTM-25 Koa/Koa
Yamaha G-231 Cedar/Hog ('71)
Old 06-05-2018, 01:51 PM

Thank you, everyone, for sharing in my joy and for the kind words.
Old 06-05-2018, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekutree64 View Post
Gorgeous!

Small guitars are the best
It's a pound 1/2 lighter than my baby 414 taylor! It's pretty light! 3lbs 2 ounces!
Old 06-05-2018, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippygreen View Post
Christie, I love the look of this guitar, and especially the dove where the fingerboard meets the soundhole - that is a wonderful detail!
That dove actually came from a necklace that my husband gave me. Unfortunately, I lost the necklace. But I have a sweet reminder on both Kinnaird guitars. We put the dove on the other guitar on the 14th fret.
Old 06-05-2018, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v32 finish View Post
I don't typically frequent the custom section of AGF (not sure why not) but I would like to just take a moment say that I found this thread inspiring.

Not only is it obviously a very fine, beautiful instrument.. (congratulations!) ... but I found the whole post heart-warming in general. both in the way you spoke of the Kinnaird shop, and especially in the regard that because they took your needs into consideration, you will be able to continue playing and enjoying something you're passionate about, where otherwise you may have not. (at least not comfortably). I feel privileged to have even read this post, as silly as that sounds, and just wanted to congratulate both the happy new owner and the builder(s). Cheers.

very best wishes,
Scott Campbell
Thank you, Scott. Their shop truly is a "happy place" to visit. And those guitars... my goodness.... each one is quality and craftsmanship. I feel very fortunate.
Old 06-05-2018, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuckerRE View Post
But what a One it is!! We all followed it closely - splendid.
Yes indeed! I went over one day to visit Steve and Ryan before they even started my guitar and yours was lying on their bench. Neck and Body separate. I fell in love with the wood colors and the design. By the way, I think you are incredibly talented coming up with such a design. You should do that for people! Anyway, I didn't even look into other designs. I just told Steve to come up with something similar in feel, taste, and wood colors and he did. What great timing that your guitar was there before I had mine built! Thank you! Again, I think you should make designs for people. Maybe you already do.
Old 06-05-2018, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christie4741 View Post
Yes indeed! I went over one day to visit Steve and Ryan before they even started my guitar and yours was lying on their bench. Neck and Body separate. I fell in love with the wood colors and the design. By the way, I think you are incredibly talented coming up with such a design. You should do that for people! Anyway, I didn't even look into other designs. I just told Steve to come up with something similar in feel, taste, and wood colors and he did. What great timing that your guitar was there before I had mine built! Thank you! Again, I think you should make designs for people. Maybe you already do.
I actually think the guitar you are talking about here is Dennis', aka Cigarfan one of the moderators on the forum here.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop