The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-28-2017, 09:12 AM

Default SC Strings on CF

I know there have been a bunch of posts on strings for CF but wanted to chime in on my experience this past week. I have been trying different string sets on my APLE Rainsong for the past few months looking for a more mellow, warm sound, more like my wood guitars. On my SC OOO and OO I have been using the SC low tension for a long time. They are wonderful imo. On my CF been using Martin Retro which I felt were pretty good for this guitar.
Yesreday I decided it was time to change and decided since I have many sets to give a set of the Santa Cruz low tensions a go. I must say these are hands down the best I have ever had on this guitar! Doesn't sound like the same instrument, A dramatic change for the better!
The sustain has always been good but now it's great and on the higher notes the sometimes harsh tones I would get are now smooth, for lack of a better wording. I am not great at visual description but these strings are just stellar on my CF. Wish I had tried them sooner...
Might give them a go guys my scale is 24.9 so don't know if the shorter scale lengths will act the same but should I would think. Jerry
Old 05-28-2017, 10:41 AM

Cool... I'll check them out, thanks. The parabolics ?
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 05-28-2017, 01:09 PM

Yep that's the ones! Jerry
Old 05-28-2017, 01:43 PM
Charter Member

The SCGC strings have sounded great on everything I've tried them on, but have not put them on a CF. I will try them. I had some sets of TI Plectrums that I put on the Emerald X20 a couple days ago....they are fantastic too. The original Daddario's sounded good, but were very hard on the fingers.
Old 05-29-2017, 07:24 AM

I too have been on a string search for my first Cf guitar. I have a CA Legacy hi gloss. So far I have tried Daddario EJ16, Ernie Ball paradigm PB, and now John Pearce 80/20. Still have not found the right match. I believe my guitar is a bit darker sounding than a Rainsong. I will give the SC strings a try next. Thanks for suggesting.
Old 05-29-2017, 09:10 AM

If the scale is a full 25.5 the mid tension are best, low for shorter scale.
Old 05-29-2017, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
If the scale is a full 25.5 the mid tension are best, low for shorter scale.
This agrees with what SC says on their website. Seems counter-intuitive though -- to have similar string tension between long and short scales you put higher tension strings on the short scale. I wonder what other factors cause them to make this recommendation.

Jim
Old 05-29-2017, 03:46 PM

I believe it has more to do with tension in ft lbs on the bridge. Santa Cruz builds a really light guitar, a OOO at under 4 lbs and the tops are tuned by removing material underneath so tension that would be acceptable for a dreadnought may indeed be too much for a small body OO or Parlor. The larger body is built to take more tension and consequently benefit from it in more volume and projection with the longer scale which also adds tension. Different bridge mounting as well I imagine to facilitate it. Don't quote me on this as it is just the way I remember it when I asked at SCGC on their tour.
Old 05-29-2017, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
I believe it has more to do with tension in ft lbs on the bridge. Santa Cruz builds a really light guitar, a OOO at under 4 lbs and the tops are tuned by removing material underneath so tension that would be acceptable for a dreadnought may indeed be too much for a small body OO or Parlor. The larger body is built to take more tension and consequently benefit from it in more volume and projection with the longer scale which also adds tension. Different bridge mounting as well I imagine to facilitate it. Don't quote me on this as it is just the way I remember it when I asked at SCGC on their tour.
That makes sense. Thanks,

Jim

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber