The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 06-19-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapetrarca View Post
You'll need to use a file sharing site. I use Dropbox. It's free and, if you let me refer you, I'll pickup another 500Mb storage space.

If you want to PM me with your addy, I'll send the referral.
Thanks, I'll give it a try.

The song is not mixed yet ("New Stranger Blues") and I have not decided on what lead to play, or what harmonica solo to use: I was just noodling around, but then the Bullmastiff ran into the room and joined in so I thought it might be fun to listen. I sent it over via H1, so you can hear how I played withe the left/right panning....

I won't mix this one down as it is awful (I wasn't sure if I should even sing it) but with just E, A7 and B7, it is a perfect song to learn with.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:40 PM

Question for DP 004 or 008 users

When I plug in the bass guitar or when I plug in a microphone (tried both, dynamic and the other kind), the volume is very low, even with input up to the max.

The internal mics are very sensitive and make for great sound.

What am I doing wrong with input A and the plug ins? My gut tells me there is a setting I am not putting on correctly. With Guitar, it has Guitar M and Guitar H, but does not seem to make any changes.

thanks.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeamusORiley View Post
Question for DP 004 or 008 users

When I plug in the bass guitar or when I plug in a microphone (tried both, dynamic and the other kind), the volume is very low, even with input up to the max.

thanks.
Hi Seamus,

I don't know anything about 04, but at 008 when I plug in the bass guitar or electric guitar (or mic) I have to get to "Input Setting" function first to select Exter(nal) input, there are 3 options to select; Low, Mid and High. And they all worked fine for me. Like I said I don't know if 04 has the "I.S." or not.

I'm pretty sure there must be a way to fix this "Low Vol." problem, just keep playing around with those knobs
Old 06-20-2012, 07:07 PM
Charter Member

Also check to make sure the switch on the side of the unit is set accordingly, e.g., "mic/line" for external or "guitar" for guitar/bass. Maybe you have already done this but just running through the check and double check.

Also, what do you have your input A or B set at in terms of the level dial? If you are monitoring with headphones, do you hear your bass signal getting louder/softer as you turn it? Do you see the signal meter on the display showing? Lastly, is your cable plugged in all the way (I've been guilty of this!).
Old 06-21-2012, 11:44 AM

The AC adapter does NOT charge the rechargeable batteries.

Re: the low recording level of the bass:

I read over the manual again and under "Tips" it says that if an Acoustic Electric guitar is used, to switch from "Guitar" to "line", which has increased the volume considerably.

I also find that the 120 degree switch on the condenser mic gives a far better sound facing sideways....rather than straight forward, even when switched to 90 degrees.

Last edited by SeamusORiley; 06-22-2012 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Change in Result!
Old 06-21-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Well, here goes:

The AC adapter came and it appears to be charging the rechargeable batteries......... I also find that the 120 degree switch on the condenser mic gives a far better sound facing sideways....rather than straight forward, even when switched to 90 degrees.
Sorry! I should have told you about that. They do work pretty well for the price.
Epiphone IBG J45
Yamaha FS800
Guild Pilot Bass
Guild Flamed Maple Jumbo Junior
Guild Flamed Maple Jumbo Junior Bass
Recording King Dirty 30's Mando
Frankensquier P Bass
Squier Bullet Telecaster
Old 06-22-2012, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Sorry! I should have told you about that. They do work pretty well for the price.
The mic or the batteries?

After leaving it plugged in all night, it does not appear to have charged the rechargeable batteries.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:03 AM

Quote:
The mic or the batteries?

After leaving it plugged in all night, it does not appear to have charged the rechargeable batteries.
The mic. But, I believe the DP-004 provides "plug-in" power. It's like 48v phantom power for LDC's but I think it runs at 3v or something like that.

If it does, the mic can use that for power instead of batteries. Very handy if you're running the recorder on AC. No batteries required AT ALL.

On my Boss MicroBR, I have to turn that feature on or off in the menu system.
Epiphone IBG J45
Yamaha FS800
Guild Pilot Bass
Frankensquier P Bass
Squier Bullet Telecaster
Old 06-22-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
The mic. But, I believe the DP-004 provides "plug-in" power. It's like 48v phantom power for LDC's but I think it runs at 3v or something like that.

If it does, the mic can use that for power instead of batteries. Very handy if you're running the recorder on AC. No batteries required AT ALL.

On my Boss MicroBR, I have to turn that feature on or off in the menu system.
Hmm, interesting. Thanks for the tip. It is a bummer that when using the AC adapter, it does not charge the rechargeable batteries. They have to be removed and plugged into a charger instead.

it was also interesting to learn that I should use "Line" instead of "Guitar" when using the Acoustic/Electric bass guitar.

The bass guitar is more complicated than I thought! I am having fun learning and it makes a big difference in the sound of the recording.
I am grateful to the posters here encouraging me. I got a 2 minute version of "Helpless" down with bass, acoustic strum, acoustic lead, and harmonica, and the bass really makes it so much better. (no vocals)
Old 06-22-2012, 02:59 PM

Quote:
I got a 2 minute version of "Helpless" down with bass, acoustic strum, acoustic lead, and harmonica, and the bass really makes it so much better. (no vocals)
Looking forward to hearing this!!

My acoustics:
  • Tanglewood TW-60
  • Manouche 'Moreno' Modele Jazz
  • 2006 Martin 000-15
  • Tanglewood TW-40
  • Furch D32-SM
  • Michael Messer Lightning
Old 06-22-2012, 03:02 PM
Charter Member

I am too! I just tried my first recording, two stereo tracks of acoustic guitar. Boy I need a lot of practice, but it was very easy to do and I got a decent sound with just the external mics.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:17 PM

Same here!

I'd love to hear it before going on vacation next week....the wife and I are taking the boat to Block Island for the week and I'm not sure if the marinas have wi-fi access. There's a guitar on board all summer long so maybe I'll start working on something new to record myself.

Sounds like you're moving right along!

Bass definitely fills out the recording. Even more so you'll find as you continue to add tracks. You'll find them being more rhythmic and focused. Tighter if you will.

Blueser100.....

I've only been dabbling with it for the past 12 months. Just take your time and enjoy the learning process. There are so many nuances and variables, it's mind boggling. Just shoot for something that at least sounds reasonable pleasant.....you'll know.....then take that experience and go from there. Make changes in small steps and increments. There's a lot of good reference material here too......

http://homerecording.com/bbs/index.php?
Epiphone IBG J45
Yamaha FS800
Guild Pilot Bass
Frankensquier P Bass
Squier Bullet Telecaster

Last edited by lapetrarca; 06-22-2012 at 04:26 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:13 PM
Charter Member

Great resource lapetrarca thanks!

Last edited by Blueser100; 06-22-2012 at 11:36 PM.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:21 AM

Agreed: it really is about us having fun and learning slowly, as we go along, is best. We're not technicians but old guys having a blast.

It's the first time I have been able to 'play with someone else' since I re-picked up guitar after 30 year layoff. (I have played at a few bluegrass jams which were a lot of fun).

I now get to lay down a strumming track to practice leads, which is really nice.

Thank you for the links, too. I noticed that someone else had the same bass issue that I had. I hoped they solved it. For me, it was simply changing from "guitar" to "line" to get the increase.

The learning part of recording has been fun, and although I am just beginning, it is nice to play a song for my family and see them smile.

I may just learn how to play some acoustic lead! I have Happy and Artie Traum's DVDs on lead, which is helpful, too, but it is nice to pick my own songs. I have a new respect for lead playing as well as bass playing!
Old 06-23-2012, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Agreed: it really is about us having fun and learning slowly, as we go along, is best. We're not technicians but old guys having a blast.............I have a new respect for lead playing well as bass playing!
Coming from a bass player............
Epiphone IBG J45
Yamaha FS800
Guild Pilot Bass
Frankensquier P Bass
Squier Bullet Telecaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD