The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 06-06-2011, 06:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wthurman View Post
Or... you could invest in real recording software and interfaces. Worth it, even if you have to save, IMO.
Even in doing this, the RNP is a good investment. I have a MOTU 896mkiii, and I have to say that the RNP is a "really nice" upgrade. I decided to keep mine because we got such good results recording djembe and bodhran for my upcoming kids music recording.

It seems like the RNP plus a good interface might be a good investment. Regardless which software you use down the line, the RNP will be useful.

2 cents.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaubrummie View Post
You can only use the apogee duet for Macs though, right? That's what it seems like. I have a PC. So I don't think that could work.

I don't have a firewire port either. I'm between a rock and a hard place right now.
Get a different computer. Then get recording gear.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:53 PM

New computer isn't an option. Macs are more than double the cost of my PC right now, and have half the space and memory.

Thanks for your suggestion, Theo. Looked up the Sound Devices USBPre 2 and it seems promising! The demo on youtube sounds very nice too!

I may be considering this now rather than the hefty cost of an RNP together with an interface. Great suggestion.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I just want to know how can I get it into my laptop since it has no USB in.
Quote:
I don't have a firewire port either.
You need one or the other, USB or Firewire, to connect any computer recording interface to your computer.

You have a laptop PC. Can you add one of these connection protocols?
If yes, do so. If not, you need a different computer, or you will be stuck with the cheesy 1/8" audio connection in your laptop.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Well, I'm really not knowledgeable at all when it comes to this stuff. But I think I've decided on the RNP, as friends of mine have had only good experiences with it. I just want to know how can I get it into my laptop since it has no USB in. What interface can I use to plug the RNP through, then USB into my laptop? I have a really nice condenser mic that just needs a good preamp to give it the full flavor. My new Martin is ready to sing but it just needs the right conditions!

Any and all advice is welcomed!
You have been getting some pretty good advice. So I'll just add You've hit on THE recording conundrum and that is How Much money to Throw at Recording equip . Well, be advised the other forum is not called "Gear Sluts" by accident. Something to ponder is, because to some extent it's a matter of the weakest link defining the sound. If you've invested in a nice guitar and you are serious about having your new guitar "sing". Then a general rule of thumb is(and this is a generality) be prepared to spend at a bare minimum, the same amount or more realistically 2 to 5 times that amount, to really capture it's sound. But be not discouraged. because the good news this investment can be spread out over a number of years.Which BTW is what it will take to learn to use it well. And one more thought, good hardware for the front end like the RNP and even a good interface / converter will last a long time. Computers and software tend to be a bit more fleeting.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 06-07-2011, 09:04 AM

Looks like the first thing to do is clarify your goal.

If the goal is to record just for fun with the least impact on your wallet, then a handheld Zoom, et al might work fine. If the goal is to capture your Martin a little better, then more research is needed as options are mainly limited by budget. "Mid-priced budgets" could mean anything to anybody so the second step is to look at a budget relative to your goals.

The RNP is a very good unit for the money. However, it is not a must have unit depending on your goals.

The whole endeavor can be quite overwhelming so make sure you insert "fun" in there somwhere.

Good luck!
Old 06-19-2011, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Shepherd View Post
I would consider the Apogee Duet, which is small, portable, USB interfaced, great preamps and conversion, and highly rated! Take a look at it.
I use the apogee with a baby bottle mic I like it a lot . I also use a handheld digital edirol r-09 which sounds pretty good . I have had good luck running my koa guitar with a highlander pickup through a highlander preamp plugged into my thd univalve guitar amp on the clean channel then recorded with the apogee with the baby bottle into garage band

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD