The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 09-24-2011, 04:14 PM

A CNC machine never scalloped a brace. The point of a CNC machine is to make consistent cuts and routs on basic materials. The talent is in the details and there are pictures after pictures with a hand plane, a chisel, a sander for Olson, Ryan and many others than happen to have a CNC. Don't for a second think that the quality of the instrument is lessened.... Olson is old school... and Ryan is new school... they both build great guitars from opposite ends of the spectrum.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:16 PM

I think to discredit any builder because of a CNC machine is downright disrespectful.... otherwise, a novice with a CNC guitar would build great guitars which we know would not happen.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:36 PM
Guest 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromDreams View Post
I think to discredit any builder because of a CNC machine is downright disrespectful.... otherwise, a novice with a CNC guitar would build great guitars which we know would not happen.
+1 and also +1 to your previous post.

Well, if not disrespectful, then ignorant at least. People often forget that the machine doesn't run itself Jim even built his own industrial-grade plane sander from scratch . . . and it was more accurate than the ones he was renting time off of back in the day (early 80s)!
Old 09-25-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Baranik, McKnight, and many others in this forum I have seen with CNC work and it seems like that they use the machine for what it was intended... making consistent cuts of materials used in the handbuilding of guitars. I fail to see why anyone would be critical of that process... besides.... if these great builders are making amazing guitars with whatever machines they have, who cares? Isn't the end product what matters. Besides, if they weren't considered fair prices by the market as a whole, nobody would be in line to buy them. I understand McKnight is about 2 years out himself... they obviously are worth it.
Old 09-25-2011, 01:54 PM
Charter Member

Yes but Mike Baranik's guitars sound sooo CNC.
Old 09-25-2011, 02:21 PM
Charter Member

CNC Rocks when used in the right place/process in guitar-making! I'm a CNC Machinist and proud of it, which means not only do I get to work in a high-tech way with my hands but with my mind too!

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 09-26-2011, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
CNC Rocks when used in the right place/process in guitar-making! I'm a CNC Machinist and proud of it, which means not only do I get to work in a high-tech way with my hands but with my mind too!

Regards,

SpruceTop
+1 on that... efficiency through a CNC I am certain helps with a more consistent and better overall quality end product.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:40 AM

Thumbs up

Don't get me wrong, they are still nice, but I would think the machines would bring the price down some since they can crank out guitars one after another without any difference in the cut.

Last edited by peteom; 09-26-2011 at 11:01 PM.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:57 AM

Location: Texas side of the Red River.The Best Country on Earth :]

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteom View Post
Don't get me wrong, they are still nice, but I would think the machines would bring the price down some since they can crank out guitars one after another without any difference in the cut.
While a CNC is a very accurate machine,It takes someone with a lot knowledge and experience to put those finishing touches on a guitar, or to recognize where they can assemble something better(CNC's as I understand only cut and route, remove material etc.) While there probably is a mechanized process for most everything on the guitar, experienced luthiers can pinpoint and recognize a lot of issues a machine cannot.CNC technology only expands what is possible with building, not cheapen the experience. Those cheaper guitars that Average Joes Like myself can afford,take a lot of hits quality and price-wise when rolling through a factory that have less to do with the building process, and much more to do with the materials used, and the bottom line, i.e. profit at the end of the day.
"And from his fullness we have all received, grace upon grace." John 1:16

90' American Strat Customized/W Working Bridge
Soon my own acoustic build.....

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Blue-...78294772235384 The business my wife and I own. No school like the Old school!
Old 09-26-2011, 11:04 PM

Quote:

No disrespect intended . I apologize if it sounded that way
Old 09-27-2011, 01:39 AM

I've owned my BRW/Cedar for almost a year now, and I cannot believe how good it sounds every time I take it to play, which is basically every day. It fills a room, and it fills it for a long time. An incredibly long time. You don't need to be a professional musician to tell the difference to almost any other guitar, and factory production guitars in particular. It is miles and miles and miles.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteom View Post
Last time I checked, machines don't crank out guitars. I think you are being confused the obvious assembly line methodology. To my understanding, each neck is cut out with a band saw and then shaped on a wood shaper by Mr. Olson's own hands. He may be building 34 guitars at once... but he forms 34 bodies, and 34 necks, and 34 fretboards etc at a time to be efficient... as KIII indicated ... the end result is what matters
Old 09-28-2011, 12:37 AM

I don't believe the end result is all that matters,that would imply that the guitar is just a tool,and certainly for a great many people on here myself included it is not that.
I have no problem with CNC bolt on necks etc,but they do not give that sense of the thing being hand made in the way that some guitars are,this is not a put down or a criticism,i have owned quite a few guitars including an Olson constructed in this manner and they are superb guitars but not one of them gave the sense of the human touch that the you find in a High end Classical guitar for example.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prutton View Post
I don't believe the end result is all that matters,that would imply that the guitar is just a tool,and certainly for a great many people on here myself included it is not that.
I have no problem with CNC bolt on necks etc,but they do not give that sense of the thing being hand made in the way that some guitars are,this is not a put down or a criticism,i have owned quite a few guitars including an Olson constructed in this manner and they are superb guitars but not one of them gave the sense of the human touch that the you find in a High end Classical guitar for example.
Looks like there are about 30+ people who think otherwise.... there must be something to it. Just like people are willing to wait 2 years to get a McKnight or 10 years to get a Walker or a Henderson...
Old 09-28-2011, 04:37 AM

Does not deter from the fact that they are not handmade to the level that a guitar from a Classical builder is.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop