The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 12-05-2018, 06:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschmitz54 View Post
I’ve looked at those AT2020s. They are reviewed well enough but also talked about as a beginners mic. Nothing wrong with that because I am a beginner but I always had this experience where if I buy beginners quality I usually find myself looking to move up shortly.
That's a perfectly reasonable concern. The reason I suggested the 2020's is that they are plenty good enough - Acoustic Guitar Magazine has been using them for their in-house recordings for years, and haven't felt the need to move up, and second because you can get 2 in your budget. One thing I predict you will want to do to "move up" as you get experience is record in stereo, or want separate guitar/vocal mics. You may not see the need now, but you haven't recorded anything yet? Lots to discover.

Another approach is to buy one decent mic and plan to buy a 2nd when you're ready. I like the Audio Technica line because they're all good workhorse mics and they have them at just about every price point - they know how to make $3000 mics, and how to make as good a budget mic as they can, and want to you like their budget mics so you'll still be happy to go with them when you want to move up. At a bit higher price point, you might consider the AT4033 - it's mic found in many pro studios. They're $400 each new, but you can find them used for maybe closer to your budget. Then you can go to 2 when you're ready. (there are other AT mics in-between in cost)

I agree with all the other comments - recording isn't hard in theory - stick the mics up, find a spot(s) that sounds good, press record :-) But getting that right is harder than it seems, as we see over and over on this forum. In reality there is a learning curve, and the difference between any particular mic, especially at these kinds of price points won't be a game changer, or the limiting factor. Most people struggle with other aspects, it's never the mics.

I'd actually suggest for most people beginning to record to just get a portable recorder, like one of the Zoom's. For the cost of a mic, you get the whole setup in as fool-proof a package as you can find. You do literally aim, push record. It should sound good - I know of commercial CDs recorded with these. If it doesn't sound good, you have other issues, which you will have regardless of your recording gear. I record all my You Tube videos with an H6, tho with external mics (a way to "move up" when the times comes). (I can point you to guitar sample recordings with the Zoom's and even a Zoom with AT2020's, if it would be useful)
Old 12-05-2018, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
That's a perfectly reasonable concern. The reason I suggested the 2020's is that they are plenty good enough - Acoustic Guitar Magazine has been using them for their in-house recordings for years, and haven't felt the need to move up, and second because you can get 2 in your budget. One thing I predict you will want to do to "move up" as you get experience is record in stereo, or want separate guitar/vocal mics. You may not see the need now, but you haven't recorded anything yet? Lots to discover.

Another approach is to buy one decent mic and plan to buy a 2nd when you're ready. I like the Audio Technica line because they're all good workhorse mics and they have them at just about every price point - they know how to make $3000 mics, and how to make as good a budget mic as they can, and want to you like their budget mics so you'll still be happy to go with them when you want to move up. At a bit higher price point, you might consider the AT4033 - it's mic found in many pro studios. They're $400 each new, but you can find them used for maybe closer to your budget. Then you can go to 2 when you're ready. (there are other AT mics in-between in cost)

I agree with all the other comments - recording isn't hard in theory - stick the mics up, find a spot(s) that sounds good, press record :-) But getting that right is harder than it seems, as we see over and over on this forum. In reality there is a learning curve, and the difference between any particular mic, especially at these kinds of price points won't be a game changer, or the limiting factor. Most people struggle with other aspects, it's never the mics.

I'd actually suggest for most people beginning to record to just get a portable recorder, like one of the Zoom's. For the cost of a mic, you get the whole setup in as fool-proof a package as you can find. You do literally aim, push record. It should sound good - I know of commercial CDs recorded with these. If it doesn't sound good, you have other issues, which you will have regardless of your recording gear. I record all my You Tube videos with an H6, tho with external mics (a way to "move up" when the times comes). (I can point you to guitar sample recordings with the Zoom's and even a Zoom with AT2020's, if it would be useful)
How this started was my guitar instructor wants me to play to backtracks on you tube and I can’t really hear the backtracks well on a my MacBook or iPad so I wanted to get speakers. I soon realized that if I got an interface I’d get better sound and could record myself. This might help me improve faster and be enjoyable. Correct or incorrect that was/ is my thought process. I also have a daughter who sings very well and I thought it might be fun to get her involved with recording. I’ve been out of town for over a month and the new interface a Stienburg ur22 mkII and JBL 305P studio monitors have just arrived and I’ll see them for the first time when I get home in a few more weeks so I am as novice as a novice can be. In addition I’ve been taking guitar lessons for only six months. I can’t begin to tell you how much I appreciate your input and help.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:48 PM

Quote:
I’ve looked at those AT2020s. They are reviewed well enough but also talked about as a beginners mic. Nothing wrong with that because I am a beginner but I always had this experience where if I buy beginners quality I usually find myself looking to move up shortly. The two mics I’ve posted about seem like a starting point LDC for companies that make higher quality mics. I’m sure there are others and am open to all suggestions. Someone suggested a newer Roswell mini 47 (this is not an accurate model number, but it’s close) which also looks very good but that price point keeps edging up little by little.
I can certainly see the benefits of two mics idea and maybe those AT2020s would fill my needs for sometime to come. I enjoy researching all these suggestions and appreciate advice from the many experienced and knowledgeable people here on AGF.
Even if you're not interested in the mics I recommended, check out those videos I posted, especially the Neumann recording series they are aimed at beginning levels and are very informative. Good luck on your recording path!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aivxxQLK9Qw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0Fhl-SASMk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVb0ULL6EKE

And here's some more info from Neumann covering basics...
https://www.neumann.com/homestudio/e...content_anchor
Old 12-05-2018, 08:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
How this started was my guitar instructor wants me to play to backtracks on you tube and I can’t really hear the backtracks well on a my MacBook or iPad so I wanted to get speakers. I soon realized that if I got an interface I’d get better sound and could record myself. This might help me improve faster and be enjoyable.
Not to add more options, but that is actually the perfect scenario for a self-contained portable recorder - I'd suggest the Zoom H4n. It's fully capable of studio-quality recording, but is portable and most importantly virtually fool-proof. You want to focus on playing guitar, not becoming a recording engineer, I presume. The Zoom will fit in your guitar case, you can take to record lessons. It has extra mic inputs when you want to expand. And it has a USB out that lets it act as an interface that's also perfectly fine.

But you already have the interface so you may have already dived into the world of more complex computer-based recording, so sorry if this advice finds you too late.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
Even if you're not interested in the mics I recommended, check out those videos I posted, especially the Neumann recording series they are aimed at beginning levels and are very informative. Good luck on your recording path!

I did watch the video on mic placement and it was great information. You could really hear the difference the placement makes. The mic you suggested (mk4) looks great but a little more than I wanted to spend, maybe used. I’m always concerned about buying used things that I have no expertise in.
These new links you shared look like a wealth of information. I’m looking forward to watching and listening to them tomorrow.
Thank you so much for sharing you time and expertise with me. You and others here are so helpful, what great people and a wonderful forum.

Last edited by jschmitz54; 12-05-2018 at 08:34 PM.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Not to add more options, but that is actually the perfect scenario for a self-contained portable recorder - I'd suggest the Zoom H4n. It's fully capable of studio-quality recording, but is portable and most importantly virtually fool-proof. You want to focus on playing guitar, not becoming a recording engineer, I presume. The Zoom will fit in your guitar case, you can take to record lessons. It has extra mic inputs when you want to expand. And it has a USB out that lets it act as an interface that's also perfectly fine.

But you already have the interface so you may have already dived into the world of more complex computer-based recording, so sorry if this advice finds you too late.
It’s isn’t really an option at this point but I think I’ll be ok with the Steinberg. At least that’s what I’m going with for now. I’m looking forward to doing a little experimenting and learning with this equipment. If in the future I get “stuck” perhaps you or others here can help me out. I find this all very interesting and I can only practice guitar about 2 hours a day and my hand gets tired so there’s time to do other things like learning about recording. I’m really looking forward to it.
Old 12-08-2018, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post

Rockabilly,
Thanks for these articles and videos. So very educational for a novice. Multiple things here I don’t have to learn the hard way.
Old 12-08-2018, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

Strangely, I see the MXL 990 Large Diaphragm Condenser Mic being used in several YouTube videos with excellent results! This mic has got to be the least-costly and best-sounding LCD on the market and is available from $50 with carrying case and a shockmount, and is also available for a few dollars more with an accompanying MXL 991 Pencil Small Diaphragm Mic. Prices range from about $50 to $90 depending on the ensemble desired. I have two of these MXL 990/991 mic combinations, and I don't think it gets any better than this for the money, and perhaps the below videos support my claim? MXL 990 Specs

MXL 990 recording with Kaia Kater and Scotty Leach perform "Lulu Gal"

MXL 990 (the silver mic) recording with Billy Strings and Don Julin performing "Little Maggie"

Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 12-09-2018 at 11:38 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD